Rules question for the world series.

Maniacal_cackle

8 hours ago, Alcathous said:

I think for #1 the wording of the ability makes the intent clear that any given model can only receive We Are Legion once per activation

Can you please expand this?

In my example - 4 models, each having We Are Legion ability, suffers damage from one blast. All of them are within 4" of an enemy model with parasite token.

First model suffers damage from blast, reduce it by one, choose an enemy model with parasite token to suffer one damage.

Second model suffers damage from blast, reduce it by one, choose an enemy model with parasite token to suffer one damage - since the second model has not already chosen that model for her own We Are Legion. 

And so on and so on.  

I guess it works the same way as it goes, for example, with obeying. So you can Activate Zoraida, obey a model X to do something, then obey the Bokor to obey the model X to do another thing - since the limitation is all by Action and model, as it's described on page 69 of RB.

"These limitations are all by Action (or Ability) and model, so a given model could, for example, take multiple once per Activation effects so long as they were
on different Actions or Abilities. Additionally, multiple models that have the same Action (or Ability) with a once per Activation can each use that effect once per Activation.
Some of these effects have additional modifiers, such as being limited to targeting a specific model once per Activation. These work the same way, with the specific
limitations mentioned."

Since We Are Legion is not an Aura, rules for stacking multiple same-named auras can not be used to this. 

Is there anything wrong in my logic?

On 2/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Domin said:

1. Does the "not already chosen for this Ability this Activation" in We Are Legion Ability works on a "once per model per activation" basis, as all the "once by" effects?

For example, if the enemy model with a parasite token is within 4" of 4 Cadmus models an all 4 these models are hit by a blast - can they all use their We Are Legion Abilities to transfer 4x1 points of damage to a model with parasite token - 1 damage by 1 model each?

Cause if not, and We Are Legion is some kind of a general ability - then it could lead to some strange situations when two Cadmus lists face each other.

Here's the ruling for the World Series:

Does We Are Legion work as a Once per Activation effect, allowing multiple points of healing or damage to be passed to a single model according to the “once per activation per model” clause of the “Once Per” Effects rules (see Page 33 of the Digital Rules)?

• No. A model using We Are Legion must “choose another friendly model within 4”, not already chosen for this Ability this Activation…” The language used is different from typical “Once Per” effects, indicating different intent.
  • Once a model has been chosen to be healed or take damage from We Are Legion, it may not be chosen for We Are Legion until the next activation.

22 hours ago, Domin said:

Is there anything wrong in my logic?

You are assuming that choosing something "not already chosen for this Ability this Activation" works the same way as the rules for "Once Per" effects.

For example, the ability could have been written "...it may choose another friendly Cadmus model within 4" to heal or suffer 1 damage (as before). A model may only be chosen for this Ability Once per Activation..." If that were the case, your logic would track perfectly.

However, the different language used on We Are Legion differentiates it from a typical "Once Per Activation" ability and we think interpreting it differently leads to a better play experience.

I'm just talking for the World Series ruling on this; I'm sure Wyrd will give us more clarity in the future. Obviously when Wyrd updates the official errata/FAQ, their ruling takes precedence in the case of any contradictions with our tournament FAQ document. 

Edited by Alcathous
clarity
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Domin said:

2.  To clarify for the world series - on which point ends the controlling effect?

For example, if we somehow command the Leveticus in 1 wound to do some action in a hazardous terrain (like with a crow trigger on Lyssa's close combat attack) and therefore make him suffer 1 damage "after the current Action is resolved" - who will control his decisions to activate his demise or not? 

Control for obey-like effects should give control for steps 1-6 of resolving an action, so I think the Lyssa would get to make the demise decision in your example. This seems like it's covered in the rules so I'm not adding it to our packet, but someone let me know if we're missing some ambiguity or nuance here.