New to Malifaux and looking into the Bayou

prinny25

Hello I'm looking into playing Malifaux and I'm looking into the Bayou as my first crew and I have a few questions 

What is an average model count for a Gremlin crew?

For a Core Box between Bayou Som'er and Zipp core boxes which one is more beginner friendly?

For a Infamous bayou Crew would Off the Top rope would be a good addition for the crew?

For a Big hat Crew what would be some models that would be worth adding? 

• Like 1

Welcome to the swamp, hope you survive the experience!

Average model count for the game as a whole is 6-9, Bayou run on the higher end since a lot of the smaller models cost way less; Big Hat is A LOT of smaller models so they're gonna run probably 9-12 models plus So'mer keeps summoning more.  I wouldn't recommend starting with them, but it's what they call "high entry level" skill wise: You don't get the hang of how it works for a while.... but once it clicks you'll be neigh unstoppable.

Infamous is very easy to learn, but has a lot of moving parts. You'll pick it up quick, you'll start winning quicker, but it's gonna take 10-15 games before you realize how all the little things synergize and then you shift into a whole new gear and also become neigh unstoppable.

Long story short: start with any faction, any keyword, any crew, work at it, and eventually you will be neigh unstoppable!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the help and mind if I ask you one more question about this Crew set up? I just want to double check to see if it's good to go

Crew

Captain Zapp

Earl burns 

The First Mate 

Iron Skeeters 

Wrastler

Mancha Rojo

Lucky Effigy

Bayou Gator 

Gluttony 

I'm open to changes but the only things I would like to keep are the wrastlers and Lucky effigy

The Gator & Gluttony are a little extra, unless there's something specific you're using them for in the strategy or schemes... or against a particular opponent.

You've already got a lot of killing power, might want to do some more fast stuff like Flying Piglets or another Iron Skeeter.... but I'm not the end all be all of Infamous, play it as is and see what you like!

I wouldn't recommend gluttony to a new player just because he is only available in the crossroads7 box, which only has 1 model you can use. ( well 2 if you're also prepared to plan infamy in outcasts). 

In general malifaux isn't a game where you just use the same crew game after game if you have the opportunity to customize it. If you are wanting a fixed crew to aid learning the game ( can be a good idea) I would suggest trying to use duplicates of minions because it lowers the rules to learn to begin with. 

I started this game 1 year ago and one thing I quickly realised is that you have to adapt : 1) to the scenario and scheme; 2) to you opponent. At the beginning you can run the same list over a couple of game to get the gist of your crew (you should go for core box + a couple of in keyword models), than you will explore the possibilities.

I think that in any crew you have a core (models you take more than 3 time out of 4), strong support (model you take 1/2 to 2/3 of the time depending the scenario) and situational models (you'll take them to counter specific crew or execute specific schemes). 

I'm not super good with Zipp, so maybe someone else could help you to break down his crew. Here some tips for in keyword models:

First mate is tier 1 as a go to elite sheme runner or anti scheme runner. With 2 gremlins he's really hard to take down. I think Gracie is a great model (tarpit), and will ride with me anything you need in position May e tier 1.5 (eventhough I don own her IRL and I probably don't take her often enough).

Skeeter (Most deep scheme / scenario), Mancha (great beater anti-condition) and Meris (mid-field scheme marker, shockwave dommage) are tier 2 (or maybe even tier one for skeeter).

Johan (ok beater, condition) is fine but still tier 3 imo. Flying Piglet (deep scheme/flanking) and Wraster (condition) are tier 3 and really situational.

I don't know Burt enough. At first glance he seem bad for the cost, but maybe the combination of all those abilities is enough to make him worth it in some scenario... He'll need a taxi though.

Zipp can use most of the versatile and OOk models in the swamp though. Is in keyword synergy is low (him and Ealr pretty much do their things - aka annoy your opponent). So you have access too a lot of great models.

My opinion on the  versatile in your list  Gator and Gluttony are tier 3 (not unplayable but really situational). Gluttony is good against Marker heavy crew (personally I don't own him and I'll play the emissary in that spot, Mancha is also fine). I would run Gathor only of I need extra ruthless model (but I would pick inferiority complex on key pieces first).

The big wheel (Lucky Emissary) is a great models, but at 10ss, you need a plan for him. Imo it's almost an auto take in leyline on in symbols with a deep deployment (corner or wedge).  He's also awesome against marker heavy crew, or models with low movement. Not quite tier 1, but close. 

I also really like, BBB in this keyword (especially if you go for Meris as she can be card hungry). Spark can heal your skeeter and put bo.bs in their belly, but I'm not sur yet about him. I found it hard for him to keep pace with a mobile crew (but maybe this speaks more about my positioning game than about spark strength).

You can also go for a Armour heavy crew (whiskey G, Porkshop, Gracie). Against some oponent that can cause a lot of problems.

Finally don't forget about the upgrade. 12 cup is really good o  Zipp. TFM wear 2 gremlins like a charm and IC gi e you ruthless when you need it.

GL. Zipp is a cool master. Have fun with him!

15 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Long story short: start with any faction, any keyword, any crew, work at it, and eventually you will be neigh unstoppable!

Just a reminder that Bayou don't use horsies, they use piggies.

So Jesy is mostly right (except where they're wrong) in that with practice practice practice, you'll be nigh oinkstoppable.

Yes, I am that guy. I'll see myself out.

• Haha 2

First off thank you all for the help and I have two last questions 

First besides Zipp and Big Hat core boxes what are some other good Bayou core boxes for a Gremlin player? 

Second how does my updated Crew look? 

Captain Zipp 

The First Mate 

Mancha Rojo

Earl Burns 

Wrastlers 

Flying Piglet

Iron Skeeters 

Gracie/Burt Jebsen-I'm debating on these I don't if they would be a good edition for my crew but I would rotation them between matches or swap them out with another model 

Bayou Gremlins

• Agree 1

Honestly I'd rather have 2 more Soul Stones or an upgrade than a Bayou Gremlin.

Gracie & Burt are an acquired taste... they work well with some people, others don't like them; it comes down to your play style.

7 hours ago, prinny25 said:

First off thank you all for the help and I have two last questions 

First besides Zipp and Big Hat core boxes what are some other good Bayou core boxes for a Gremlin player? 

Second how does my updated Crew look? 

Captain Zipp 

The First Mate 

Mancha Rojo

Earl Burns 

Wrastlers 

Flying Piglet

Iron Skeeters 

Gracie/Burt Jebsen-I'm debating on these I don't if they would be a good edition for my crew but I would rotation them between matches or swap them out with another model 

Bayou Gremlins

The flying piglets come in a box with "merris lacroix" who can fly, you could use them instead of gracie/burt. I would consider maybe Ophelia's crew good? Just because i don't think you need as many models. Her core box + "copycats" has most of her stuff i think. They are a family of models who are "imitations" of other, human models. Mostly Perdita from guild. They can chuck dynamite, curse people, shoot them with guns they have it all! "Merris Lacroix" not only works for Zipp, but also works for Ophelia as she is part of her family (and is a "copy" of Kaeris, the arcanist master)

• Thanks 1