Ressers in the Iron Scorpius tournament.

Maniacal_cackle

1 minute ago, Pergli said:

Cool, just curious as to the thought process and sounds good.

If you are not familiar with Anna, you should definitely start working with her. She is a HUGE support piece as well as a surprise beater. No place affects within 6 can hamper summoners as well as a whole host of other things that you don't appreciate it until it happens. Example, if you killed Mordrake and he wanted to teleport back to English Ivan for his nonsense heal but Anna is there, he can't place so he just dies.

Hostile workplace environment is also such a large amount of annoyance for your opponent. Ivan couldn't push his models around or place them. Mordrake can't do his concealing bonus place. Gibson can't heal or give friendly distracted. Etc, etc, etc.. 

Obviously, this would make her a HUGE target but with stat 6 and armor 1, with stones she can typically tank for a few turns while the rest of your crew picks them off. Not to count the amount of card draw she can bring to the crew if your opponent is spending AP trying to remove her. She can even be a beater if needed with a 3/5/6 melee!

Definitely don't play her if you aren't used to her but putting her on the table to learn the model will pay dividends. 

Yeah, true. I don't own her, but my friend does. So I could start borrowing her for more practice games xD

Although even this tournament game is essentially a practice game for me, so there was a big argument to bring her just to get a game in with her.

One of the deciding factors for me was how much forest terrain there is. I was worried she would just spend the game walking around the board while more mobile models danced around here (since her gun would be basically useless this game).

In fact, that was pretty much the deciding factor for my whole crew (Archie can leap, crooligans can teleport, Rider can unimpeded and Ride With me Molly/Machine, Yin can fly).

Really only the nurse is really hurt by the terrain. Molly doesn't like it, but can deal. Normally she loves forests, but not against Ivan xD They're pure downside.

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

His crew:

• Ivan & Mordrake
  • Gibson DeWalt
  • Corvis Rook
  • Eva Havenhand
  • Winston Finnigan
  • Intrepid Emissary

I'm a bit worried about Dead Rider passing out Brockens, but at the same time it is so darn good on this map and against his crew. I'm really glad I took Yin now considering his crew composition.

That is not a list I was expecting, but I haven't faced Ivan yet. He's going to be limited to summoning one a turn and even with the Dead Rider you have a good chance of avoiding a Brocken. Keep a high card in hand if you can. Sadly you can't even surprise him by using the Nurse to Stun him as he just passes it to Mordrake.

Speaking of Mordrake, how does his Demise work with Martyrs? It looks like he doesn't count as being Killed unless you use something like Execute (p25 eRB). You have to kill Ivan before you can actually Kill Mordrake. This makes Martyrs with him a lot easier for the second point. How did that get through playtesting? 

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

That is not a list I was expecting, but I haven't faced Ivan yet. He's going to be limited to summoning one a turn and even with the Dead Rider you have a good chance of avoiding a Brocken. Keep a high card in hand if you can. Sadly you can't even surprise him by using the Nurse to Stun him as he just passes it to Mordrake.

Speaking of Mordrake, how does his Demise work with Martyrs? It looks like he doesn't count as being Killed unless you use something like Execute (p25 eRB). You have to kill Ivan before you can actually Kill Mordrake. This makes Martyrs with him a lot easier for the second point. How did that get through playtesting? 

There's plenty of models that are quite difficult to kill (Serena, Grave golem, etc), and yeah, they can be pretty annoying for basically a freebie on Hidden Martyrs.

I considered taking a Carrion Emissary to stop the heal to  guarantee kills, but figured I would just play around it. Since every time I kill Mordrake he takes 2 irreducible on Ivan, seems like a good way to put pressure on Ivan. No idea how it'll play out though.

I don't think he has any healing in the crew, so every point of damage I can get out there is more pressure. I'll have to check over his crew thoroughly to make sure I've not missed a heal, though. Would be quite stupid to kill mordrake and then he just heals up Ivan xD

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This makes Martyrs with him a lot easier for the second point. How did that get through playtesting? 

Yep, it's very easy to score 2nd point of Hidden martyrs with him. The demise ability isn't OP by itself, just the way it interacts with this scheme. Also, if Mordrake can't be place next to ivan due to reasons (ex. Carrying lodestone, enemy gravity well, lack of space to place him) then his demise wouldn't work

On 1/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

There's plenty of models that are quite difficult to kill (Serena, Grave golem, etc), and yeah, they can be pretty annoying for basically a freebie on Hidden Martyrs.

I considered taking a Carrion Emissary to stop the heal to  guarantee kills, but figured I would just play around it. Since every time I kill Mordrake he takes 2 irreducible on Ivan, seems like a good way to put pressure on Ivan. No idea how it'll play out though.

I don't think he has any healing in the crew, so every point of damage I can get out there is more pressure. I'll have to check over his crew thoroughly to make sure I've not missed a heal, though. Would be quite stupid to kill mordrake and then he just heals up Ivan xD

The Emissary has indirect healing and Umbras that start the activation within 6" of Ivan heal 2.

Gibson can also heal Umbras with his attack (and draw 1 card while doing it). 

• Thanks 1

From another thread, I have discovered that I'm the only person to beat Ivan in the world series so far.

So there is a distinct chance that Ressers are the only faction to beat English Ivan in a tournament setting! Let's just ignore all the reasons for it and claim Ressers are magical!

#TheMagicOfSmallSamples

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The lists!

Me:

• Reva & Candles
  • Grave Golem
  • Carrion Emissary
  • Bete Noire
  • Shieldbearer
  • Bone Pile
  • Restless Spirit

I would normally take Dead Rider over the Emissary, but seemed a bad idea against Zoraida. For Symbols I'd consider Toshiro for that slot, but Zoraida ignores Ashigaru pretty easily. Plus I figured if he took Bad Juju, Emissary would stomp it.

Him:

• Zoraida
  • Gautraeux Bokor
  • Silurid
  • Silurid
  • The First Mate
  • Gluttony
  • Lucky Emissary

Interesting list! Seems he went very heavy on the marker removal, so will see how that works out! I don't tend to rely on pyres, but it could still be annoying removing corpses and pyres.

With this list, I'll be surprised if he doesn't go for breakthrough (Sabotage is less likely, but he could maybe do both).

He has 5 swampfiend (counting the doll), but some of the Silurids and TFM will probably be deep field, so if you can remove a key Eye in the night relay, you might be able to disrupt his plan.

GL

• Thanks 1

Won 7-6 :)

He was on Breakthrough/Sabotage, and I had Catch and Release/Let Them Bleed.

As usual, Catch and Release was an 'easy' two points. It was potentially a dodgy thing to take against Zoraida, but she was too busy to abuse me for it (and I don't think he'd seen some of my models before, so perhaps didn't know you can obey the Bone Pile to bury). Zoraida ended up having to activate before Bone Pile.

Let Them Bleed, I didn't set up very well. Normally I have Dead Rider + Reva to run around scoring symbols and acting as mobile beaters. Since I dropped Dead Rider, it was very hard to actually beat down the First Mate (he ended the game on 8 health). So only one point there. There were several points where I could almost get the First Mate down to half health.

I struggled with the same thing I always struggle with on Symbols - having enough actions to do everything I want to do. Maybe I should just start playing Kirai so I can have enough actions to do everything xD As of yet, I still don't have a crew I'm fully happy with on Symbols (although my Reva crew comes close when it's not being countered xD)

EDIT: Actually, Seamus may have been phenomenal here, but I had already used him up. But one-shotting his two silurids would have been really valuable, and the crew really benefits from reloading with Zoraida's bonus action.

EDIT2: Actually, I've barely played Molly in Symbols, but her crew is SO efficient that she'd probably be fantastic in that strategy.

1 hour ago, Graf said:

Yeah, when I started reading your post I already wondered why you have trouble with Symbols. I cannot say from experience but I think Molly works well with this strat. I know Schtook does.

True, although both Seamus and Reva seem fine in the strategy, just not excellent. Like compared to Zoraida, Colette, and Tara, I'm not sure we can smash it as well as they can (with a single master). Well, maybe Tara, I think we can keep up with her by denial via killing perhaps.