2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

My resolutions this year:

1) To keep using painting as an exercise in "I'm doing this because I enjoy it, not because I 'should' or 'have to'". It's been terribly helpful at this so far.

2) To decrease my Pile of Shame faster than I can make it bigger.

To start off, here's what's on the docket for the month, with the snow gamin being first for a local event that emds this weekend.

large.20201230_112631.jpg.f4a769cf893a814736a267da8ea9763d.jpg

• Like 5

Hi there! checking late, but 100% in for this year's challenge too!!! (i'll keep going with the enforcer level of 6SS @Caedrus ).

For this month i'll pledge 2 small minis, the hodgepodge effigy, and the kamaitachi, fpr 4SS each.

And for the hobby resolutions, mine are:
1- try to get skilled familiar with the airbrush
2- paint more bigger scale stuff, like busts & 75mm
3- and this one is a long shot, but I'd like to paint the entire last blossom keyword (i've only painted shang so far)

Have a nice 2021 everyone! ❤️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Diddick said:

Hi there! checking late, but 100% in for this year's challenge too!!! (i'll keep going with the enforcer level of 6SS @Caedrus ).

For this month i'll pledge 2 small minis, the hodgepodge effigy, and the kamaitachi, fpr 4SS each.

And for the hobby resolutions, mine are:
1- try to get skilled familiar with the airbrush
2- paint more bigger scale stuff, like busts & 75mm
3- and this one is a long shot, but I'd like to paint the entire last blossom keyword (i've only painted shang so far)

Have a nice 2021 everyone! ❤️

Last Blossom in 12 months, minus an already finished Shang? You can do it! :)

I believe in you and am looking forward to seeing pictures of the crew. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Last Blossom in 12 months, minus an already finished Shang? You can do it! :)

I believe in you and am looking forward to seeing pictures of the crew. 

Yeah, looks totally doable, right? but the main problem is not the time, but the focus, or the lack of XD

I know myself, and half way to the project i'll get bored and had 3 different ideas on which i'll want to start working ASAP, and while working on one of those ideas, i'll have a couple more, and then a cool instagram challenge will come across, and it's already october which means Rotten Harvest, and look! it's december and I only painted minako rei and the archers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Yeah, looks totally doable, right? but the main problem is not the time, but the focus, or the lack of XD

I know myself, and half way to the project i'll get bored and had 3 different ideas on which i'll want to start working ASAP, and while working on one of those ideas, i'll have a couple more, and then a cool instagram challenge will come across, and it's already october which means Rotten Harvest, and look! it's december and I only painted minako rei and the archers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, I get that. Back in the day when I was still playing 40k I basically never finished an army, though that wasn't due to lack of focus but being bored by painting what was almost the same model over and over again.. I find that Malifaux is way more easy in that regard since almost every sculpt is quite unique.. With a few exceptions (Looking at you, Geishas!).

But the Karmic Debt box has a few awesome sculpts! And Minako is Last Blossom, so looking forward to that as well. ;)

• Like 1

Caedrus, reporting in with a mid-January update!

So, I decided to do something stupid and try to build the Hannah that was always meant to be. It turns out that this is a harder, far more laborious task than expected. So, this has now been turned into a multi-month build. Here's where I am so far:

932612075_HannahWIP01R.thumb.jpg.6f1c0abb773a111effa63ad0d1889437.jpg

More photos to come, very soon!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Caedrus said:

...and here are the mercenaries!

1708999727_Group01.thumb.jpg.4c07e98adce6d03715d321ea909efa32.jpg

My apologies for the poor resolution.

I had lots of fun with these guys. I really tried to go for a cold look for all but Taelor and Jake, as the theme I have created for this crew is a sort of Blade Runner android theme (backstory available on request). The magenta is there to really emphasise the coldness of the rest, and create a temperature contrast.

The first Vik is a little too plain, and the second (kneeling) is a much prettier model, in my opinion.

I learned a lot here, using white fluorescent paint (Vanessa's staff), and really trying to get better at NMM and OSL effects. I was pleased with the Student's dress / fabric.

I think Jake was the easiest mini to paint here, by far.

As always, feedback is very, very welcome.

So now, it's onto working mor eon Hannah, and then doing the Alt. Vanessa and the Alt. Bishop to finish the keyword. Wish me luck!

Caedrus.

Love it. Especially Big Jake. Still one of Wyrd's best sculpts.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, Caedrus said:

...and here are the mercenaries!

1708999727_Group01.thumb.jpg.4c07e98adce6d03715d321ea909efa32.jpg

My apologies for the poor resolution.

I had lots of fun with these guys. I really tried to go for a cold look for all but Taelor and Jake, as the theme I have created for this crew is a sort of Blade Runner android theme (backstory available on request). The magenta is there to really emphasise the coldness of the rest, and create a temperature contrast.

The first Vik is a little too plain, and the second (kneeling) is a much prettier model, in my opinion.

I learned a lot here, using white fluorescent paint (Vanessa's staff), and really trying to get better at NMM and OSL effects. I was pleased with the Student's dress / fabric.

I think Jake was the easiest mini to paint here, by far.

As always, feedback is very, very welcome.

So now, it's onto working mor eon Hannah, and then doing the Alt. Vanessa and the Alt. Bishop to finish the keyword. Wish me luck!

Caedrus.

Awesome work and cool concept! :)

Only thing I' d add: a little something in Magenta on the standing Victoria would make it more coherent with the rest of the gang. Maybe a streak of hair, or the navel piercing? Or just some of the straps on the boots.

• Like 1