Taelor: What is She Missing?

Davos

It wouldn't be bad, bit I think that's only for the sisters. 

And adding to "welcome to Malifaux" Positive flips against models with summoning upgrades? 

Not sure, her main problem feels like being a resource-intensive beater in a crew with two resource-intensive beater masters. If she don't add something extra useful, she'll never stop being a tech piece. 

Some kind of buff to friendly Mercenary models, or some combo-shenanigan. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Zebo said:

It wouldn't be bad, bit I think that's only for the sisters. 

And adding to "welcome to Malifaux" Positive flips against models with summoning upgrades? 

Not sure, her main problem feels like being a resource-intensive beater in a crew with two resource-intensive beater masters. If she don't add something extra useful, she'll never stop being a tech piece. 

Some kind of buff to friendly Mercenary models, or some combo-shenanigan. 

she need not to discard a card with ability welcome to malifaux

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Since Welcome to Malifaux is quite a bad rule, this wouldn't fix her at all. 

maybe u are right

i like the idea abt hiting models that are placed within 6", but need to make it without discarding a card or make positive for it if card was discarded, because vics dont have good card draw and resourses are limited

4 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

Change "Welcome to Malifaux" to "Whenever an opponent places a unit within 6" and "this attack gets +:crow"

Give Taelor's Rune Hammer Exorcism trigger

Bam, now she has a role.  She's right on the border of playable anyway, we don't need her to be OP. 

Lol that would make her auto kill summons pretty much as she's stat 7.

I like her, just wish she still had h2w so she's still the keywords tanky model.

1 hour ago, katadder said:

Dunno, df6, shielded 2 is often their defence. Plus I give them h2k.

Don't even need a card for the shielded, just be near each other which as long as they activate within 6 is easy enough. Plus you get 6 actions with them so are great as they stand.

only one need htk and shielded works only if they had activated

15 hours ago, katadder said:

Lol that would make her auto kill summons pretty much as she's stat 7.

I like her, just wish she still had h2w so she's still the keywords tanky model.

It would make her likely to kill summons that are placed within 6" and in line of sight of her at the cost of a card, yes. 

It would give her a strong anti-summoner role, and force summoners to play around her.  What, is there some problem in this game with summoners being too weak?  Because there's not.

Most of the suggestions here are just "make her generically gooder" (like giving her h2w), which isn't a good direction for the game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RisingPhoenix said:

It would make her likely to kill summons that are placed within 6" and in line of sight of her at the cost of a card, yes. 

It would give her a strong anti-summoner role, and force summoners to play around her.  What, is there some problem in this game with summoners being too weak?  Because there's not.

Most of the suggestions here are just "make her generically gooder" (like giving her h2w), which isn't a good direction for the game. 

And even if she can autokill summons, it is still going to be strictly worse than gravity well 😜

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, katadder said:

Would be nice if she had her old armour piercing trigger back.

Yeah. I'm kinda confused that all Relic Hammers don't ignore Armor or have it as a trigger. It was a big part of their fluff in the last two eds that they seriously wrecked constructs. 

Now Taelor gently love taps golems.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

Hard counters are not fun in my opinion.

If she had the :tome or :maskbuilt in that would also fix her I think. The :tome especially. Either one means she can consistently do something useful besides just killing.

Is Vincent St. Claire a hard counter to summoners?  Tend to doubt it.  If he was, then you couldn't play Summoners into Rezzers.  But in fact he's just a good tool against them.

Cards aren't free, soulstones aren't free, and a single model can't be everywhere.

Fact is, every faction should have access to Exorcism.  The game can't properly be balanced around summoners having to face Vincent St Claire or Charm Warders, then other factions literally not getting that stuff.

5 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

Is Vincent St. Claire a hard counter to summoners?  Tend to doubt it.  If he was, then you couldn't play Summoners into Rezzers.  But in fact he's just a good tool against them.

Cards aren't free, soulstones aren't free, and a single model can't be everywhere.

Fact is, every faction should have access to Exorcism.  The game can't properly be balanced around summoners having to face Vincent St Claire or Charm Warders, then other factions literally not getting that stuff.

there was a suggestion that she should have the exorcism trigger built in. That would be a hard counter imo. If she just had it, that would be fine but I think wouldn't move the needle on her usefulness.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:03 PM, touchdown said:

there was a suggestion that she should have the exorcism trigger built in. That would be a hard counter imo. If she just had it, that would be fine but I think wouldn't move the needle on her usefulness.

She's a henchman, she can always pay a stone for it if she really wants it (same with Vincent). 

It won't be as good as Vincent without the range, but if you've ever seen Vincent delete summons... it's pretty useful.  One of the funnier things I've seen was a match when an Asami player finally read his card and was like... "what".

• 5 months later...

Little bit of Threadomancy here, but something I just thought of. What if she got Into the Fray?

Would let her tank easier and give the crew Viks some more staying power (especially since Twins lose out on the second Vik).

In addition to letting Welcome to Malifaux either be Place (& once per turn) or be unbury (as well as summoned), it's kind of annoying Dreamer & Tara's summons get around it...

1 hour ago, S4lt said:

I actually think she's in a good place for the alt Viks. She can be thrown, gets access to fast with the free student and likely focus too. 

If they launch as the text we have seen I think she's actually fine 

But then how does she compare now to say the noxious nephilim? Same cost, similar damage profile but nephilim has a LOT more other utility from it….

7 hours ago, Burnin4tor said:

But then how does she compare now to say the noxious nephilim? Same cost, similar damage profile but nephilim has a LOT more other utility from it….

I actually think that Taelor is better than noxious. Better defensive stats, can use soulstones, and gets the puncture trigger.

The problem is Resser support is so much better. Like imagine if Taelor and Student of conflict were in ressers. Could give Taelor 1-2 focus, make her fast with student, and then Dead Rider Ride With Me on her up the field. And this could be after the entire enemy team activates thanks to Molly.

Then she'd run in and smash someone for 12 damage in their deployment zone xD There's a reason Ressers don't get the puncture trigger on anything with a 6 severe damage track (I assume >.>)

So to some degree, I think Taelor just needs a bit more support (especially movement shenanigans to throw her up the table efficiently... But it is hard to beat Ride With Me for that, so the lack of a Rider really hurts her).

I'm not sure new Viktorias can 'efficiently' move Taelor up the board, since they can't do it on a charge, and then you sacrifice positioning of the Viks for Taelor.

• Agree 1

Twin Blades coming with a free Student of Conflict and their defensive abilities freeing upgrade slots means emissary and Servant of Dark Powers can push Taelor far up the board T1. 6” (herald) + 2” (tempo) + 3” (weary road) gets her 11” out prior to activation. Scheme marker from weary road allows student to give her fast, and an 8” charge w/ emissary Aura gives her a good chance for 2-3 Attacks T1. Viks Combat Maneuver can add 8+” to pre-activation movement, which makes it fairly comparative to Ride With Me.

I think Taelor just needs Welcome to Malifaux to trigger when an enemy model with a summon upgrade ends a move within 6”. Fixes the issue of dreamer/tara summons, and adds additional utility to Bing It vs summoners.

• Agree 2