What is THE Hoffman crew?

Commoner1

I've just played my first Hoffman game on Vassal and my core box should hopefully arrive tomorrow. The boxes with Joss and the Wardens are already on my painting desk at the moment. So far I like the theorycrafting for this crew a lot and the first test game was awesome.

But compared to other crews I find it hard to seperate the duds from the actually good and awesome models, because I didn't see any models that weren't at least situationally useful.

So what are the autopicks and stinkers for Hoffman in your opinion? What are the important versatile and OOK hires (for Guild AND Arcanists)?

If you've an all comers list, please feel free to post it. 🙂

The thing is I don't think there is An all comers list for hoffman especially in arcanists. There are so many good constructs in arcanists, that even of they don't use power tokens still synergies well with hoffman 

Pick what you need for the pool and opposition weather that's movement in watchers and hunters, defence in guardians, hitting power in emmy/howard/Peacekeeper, shooting in kore /envy, shenanigans with duet or mobility and card draw with rider 

• Thanks 1

You sum up my problem nicely. There are so many solid choices that I'm almost confused. It's not like my other Guild masters where you pick versatiles and OOKs anyway to have a fighting chance against an equal opponent.

There are some models I'm not sure about like Joss. On paper he looks awesome, but his skills feel a bit all over the place and his use of power tokens is less generally useful than Melissa's or Howard's.

Another example is the Hunter. I really like the concept, but I don't see a reason besides the rather high cost why it's so disliked in this forum.

23 hours ago, Commoner1 said:

You sum up my problem nicely. There are so many solid choices that I'm almost confused. It's not like my other Guild masters where you pick versatiles and OOKs anyway to have a fighting chance against an equal opponent.

There are some models I'm not sure about like Joss. On paper he looks awesome, but his skills feel a bit all over the place and his use of power tokens is less generally useful than Melissa's or Howard's.

Another example is the Hunter. I really like the concept, but I don't see a reason besides the rather high cost why it's so disliked in this forum.

possibly because Arcanists have better options for Speed in that price range. In Guild, Hunters are very speedy for their tankiness. If you need cheap schemers you take Watchers, which you can also take in Guild. They aren't really competing with Hunters. In the mid range (6-8 stones) model range for Arcanists you have some phenomenal schemers:

1. Soulstone Miners that can Unbury almost anywhere on the board and get you SS back. 

2. Steam Arachnid Swarm. As fast as a Hunter, higher damage output, and can put out 2 Scheme Markers a turn. 

And that is also assuming you dont just go big and take the Mechanical Rider, which is probably the best Scheme Runner in the game, with comparable damage output and more survivability. 

• Like 1

Hoffman, Attendant and Toolkit are always on my list. Then It depends of schemes you play.

Peacekeeper its a solid enforcer for Claim Jump, Leave your Mark and get the control of the middle of the table.

Howard is a strong and fast beater. He's able to kill almost anybody in a turn. If they have DF triggers even better. So i play him with assessinate, Public Enemies, Recover Evidence.

Melissa is your fire support, she will bring you 2/3 shoots at 17". And you can use powet tokens for blast. So she is great against bubbles or cheap Minions.

Joss is a great hunter of terrifiying, manipulative and armored enemies.

• Like 1