Vernon and Welles

MINION

Botanist x3

Hopeful Prospect x2

VIDEOS:

Versatiles Review by Whut

Upgrades Review by Whut

COLLECTING

Explorer’s Society Starter Box: Mr. Ngaatoro, Tannenbaum, and 2 Hopeful Prospects

"Botanists" Box: 3 Botanists

"Intrepid Fate" Box: Intrepid Effigy and Intrepid Emissary

"Vernon and Welles" Box: Vernon and Welles

"Wanderlust" Box: Alpinist, Bellhop Porter, and Jessie Halliday

• HomelessOne changed the title to Versatiles & Upgrades General Discussion

Flush with Cash initially disappointed me, but it seems super efficient.

On a minion, the draw three/discard three is clearly worth at least a soulstone (maybe 1.5 stones).

Then you can get stones from dying allies (Frontier Traps anyone?)

Finally you can use soulstones to just negate an entire attack??  Two soulstone swing, but still super potent.

That is a lot of mileage for a two stone upgrade (although ultimately you may spend 4 stones on it and get 2-3 back).

It also doesn't give you a stone when the carrier dies, so that is a limitation.

Interested to see which keywords end up using it.

3 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

More if you spend cards on the initiative flip. Let's you really fight for initiative without worrying about running out of cards.

Wowza, that is a great detail!

Super potent, I can imagine a lot of crews are going to make room for a copy of this upgrade if they have big turns or have critical TNs to hit early.

Certainly I'll try it wastrel to hit my turn one TNs for maximum artifacts.

EDIT: it draws to Max hand size, so you can even cheat a one on initiative just to get it out of your hand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rufess said:

Need an enemy model killing the friendly to get a soulstone.

Whoops.... well it still will work for the Ram trigger trigger on Will Of Cadmus, if you use a tokened model to kill another tokened model.

2 hours ago, HomelessOne said:

The Hopeful Prospect is the model that really has my curiosity. Like, while we’re play testing and feeling the faction out I think we’ll see it a lot. But their frequency once people get comfortable with keywords is what I’m looking forward to seeing.

I can't wait to turn a hopeful prospect into a runaway!
"Welcome to the society! Now I'm hunting you down!" :D

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I'm surprised no one mentioned Double-Cross yet, that is basically NVB Emissary aura (and simmilar to Pride's also) in any model. It gives a big advantage cheating, useful for mind games (cheat a low card to see if the other player overreact and cheat something good; which is extra painful with the other ability of the upgrade), sneak a high impact trigger or to make defending against that model harder in general. That is going to be good on their masters or models able to spam attacks.

1 hour ago, MajorUndead said:

I can't wait to turn a hopeful prospect into a runaway!
"Welcome to the society! Now I'm hunting you down!" :D

That's an interesting thought. But as mentioned above, you can't turn into cheaper minions. 

Edited by Ming

I'm worried some of these versatiles might be too strong/fill in too many gaps, but will have to see.

One thing I'm super excited about with ES is that internal keyword synergies look really solid. So it'd be sad to see if a bunch of crews end up looking alike just because the versatiles are so good. I really hope the versatiles are relatively niche and not like Arcanist levels xD

12 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Hopefull prospect can only turn into a cost 5 or more minion - run away is only 1ss.

That's not what I understand.
I says " Welcome to the Society!: After killing an enemy model with Cost of 5 of more, this model may Replace with any Minion that shares a Keyword with this Crew’s Leader. Then, the new model Heals 4"

The cost of 5 is related to the ennemy model killed, not the minion the hopeful prospect turns into.
The only limitation for the minion it turns into it has it shares a keyword with the leader of your crew.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Double-Cross yet, that is basically NVB Emissary aura (and simmilar to Pride's also) in any model. It gives a big advantage cheating, useful for mind games (cheat a low card to see if the other player overreact and cheat something good; which is extra painful with the other ability of the upgrade), sneak a high impact trigger or to make defending against that model harder in general. That is going to be good on their masters or models able to spam attacks.

This will be especially helpful on Ivan. Preventing his summoning will be particularly tricky if you can't tell when he's actually trying to summon something.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'm worried some of these versatiles might be too strong/fill in too many gaps, but will have to see.

About this, I need to look at most of them yet, but so far the one that catched my eye was Mrs Nagatoro's Neurotoxin. I've used that aura with Marcus and that is a very powerful aura that can get Masters and Henchmans killed if used right; that thing on a versatile henchman that can be kept alive throwing SS at him is scary. And on a sidenote, that obey with Bully on a 9SS model is going to make most of beasts from the blue part of Marcus unplayable versus this faction.

3 minutes ago, Ogid said:

About this, I need to look at most of them yet, but so far the one that catched my eye was Mrs Nagatoro's Neurotoxin. I've used that aura with Marcus and that is a very powerful aura that can get Masters and Henchmans killed if used right; that thing on a versatile henchman that can be kept alive throwing SS at him is scary.

Yeah, there's some bonkers abilities.

Tannenbaum seems nuts with his discard hand thing and scheme swap.

The scheme swap especially is so crazy!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, there's some bonkers abilities.

Tannenbaum seems nuts with his discard hand thing and scheme swap.

The scheme swap especially is so crazy!!

Lol, just looked at it, that one has a lot of potential... it can even replace revealed ones, so you can pick one easy to score the first half and then replace it with another easy to score the second half or if you get your vendetta model blown up the first turn isn't gg.

• Agree 2

The one thing to keep an eye out for with Tannenbaum's scheme switching thing is that buried in the text it says that you can't score that scheme this turn, so if you're going to switch into a new scheme, make sure it is not the last turn of the game or it won't count. But yeah, seems great for securing two easy halves of different schemes or correcting a mistake. 

4 hours ago, MajorUndead said:

That's not what I understand.
I says " Welcome to the Society!: After killing an enemy model with Cost of 5 of more, this model may Replace with any Minion that shares a Keyword with this Crew’s Leader. Then, the new model Heals 4"

Ha! Yeah, I completely misread that!