RCT 14: Scheming all over the map!

Maniacal_cackle

For our Community thread this time, we're going to take a detailed look at four of the schemes! As always, this thread is intended for new and experienced players alike. Share your insights, share your questions, and let's all get better together!

The schemes for this conversation are:

• Breakthrough
  • Spread them out
  • Sabotage
  • Runic binding

These are the schemes to do with getting scheme markers all over the board (other than Leave Your Mark, which will appear in a future week). Some questions to get the ball rolling:

• What are your tricks for scoring these schemes super fast or efficiently?
    • What's the fastest anyone can do Runic Binding? I've found at least one way to do it in one activation.
  • What are your tricks for scoring these schemes in a way that is difficult for your opponent to stop?
  • Are there times you really don't want to take these schemes?
  • Bluffing - scheme marker schemes send one of the clearest signals that you have taken (or have not taken) a scheme. How do you bluff having/not having the schemes to mess with your opponent?

Plus anything else people want to talk about with these schemes!

Spread them out... Seamus/Yin/Dead Rider seem like the perfect combo to take this down, although Molly can score it pretty comfortably as well. Archie + 2 crooligans can score it in a single turn, but is a bit slow taking three activations and requires terrain to cooperate.

Breakthrough, Archie + crooligan(s) is my favourite method. Archie can deal with whatever is there, while the crooligan positions for an easy score.

Sabotage... Honestly I haven't done it much yet, so not sure on this one. Feels like both of the above combos work.

Runic Binding... Wtf is this scheme xD I rarelt have three enemy models in a 10" area.

Runic Binding is a nice one to see in a pool with Leave Your Mark or Claim Jump, provides a good counter scheme if you think your opponent will hold the center. 

I have entirely steered away from Sabotage so far, just can envision pulling it off. However, now I'm beginning to try out more schemey crews like Von Schtook that may change. 

Spread Them Out is one that I always think I'll manage, but I tend to get distracted by brawling! With crews like Reva, I feel like every AP counts, and I often don't find the time to drops Scheme Markers. But, ideally, with Dead Rider, Emmisary, and Reva, I feel like you should have the mobility to pull this one off. 

Similar with Breakthrough, particularly having tried Von Schtook - seems like something you can setup with an Undergrad/Necropunk fairly easily. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Faceface said:

Spread Them Out is one that I always think I'll manage, but I tend to get distracted by brawling! With crews like Reva, I feel like every AP counts, and I often don't find the time to drops Scheme Markers. But, ideally, with Dead Rider, Emmisary, and Reva, I feel like you should have the mobility to pull this one off. 

I think the problem is that emissary and Reva can't really do their core business while also scheming like that.

Seamus can teleport, shoot his gun, teleport, interact. Still a very strong master turn, and you get a marker in a very secure location.

Reva on the other hand really suffers by taking one less attack and interacting (not to mention sometimes the positioning is really awkward). And then the stuff in her crew all suffers from the same problem.

Molly herself can't score the scheme as easily, but she denies it easily and her keyword schemes it as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 12:20 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Molly herself can't score the scheme as easily, but she denies it easily and her keyword schemes it as well.

I would say that she's pretty flexible with Draw Out trigger. It can target both friendly and enemy models, so it's not a big deal to place a marker almost anywhere. The most obvious problem for Spread Them Out is to place enemy models in proper position ((

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sagrit said:

I would say that she's pretty flexible with Draw Out trigger. It can target both friendly and enemy models, so it's not a big deal to place a marker almost anywhere. The most obvious problem for Spread Them Out is to place enemy models in proper position ((

Oh, I had never clicked that you can do it to friendly models!  Very fancy.

Of course, it is not like Molly's crew needs much help getting the markers into position 😜

I also play her a bit defensively, so she often is hitting stuff on my side of the board. But going to try this trick to see how I like it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Breakthrough

The scheme needs 4 scheme markers, which isn't to much, but getting there takes time. Therefore, I might not take it during tournaments when I'm not sure how many turns we will play.  I'm also not sure yet if it's actually a good or bad thing if you need to get behind enemy lines anyway (e.g. Symbols of Authority). Personally, I find it easier to accomplish if your opponent doesn't know for sure you want to get close to their deployment zones. If your opponent covers their flanks well, you'll propably need to assist your schemers with something that can actually hit things, thinning your line elsewhere. Leaping schemers are worth a lot here, not only because they are quicker but also because they can move straight through the enemy line, if you're not confident they'll be able to push through on a flank.

Spread them out

I like this one, especially if you have mobile schemers available, like Necropunks or Crooligans. The downside is, you'll need at least 6 markers for 2VP, so I'm likely to take it only with crews, which are strong in the scheming department, like Molly or Schtook. Summoning like Kirai should be able to create the necessary action economy as well, but with elite crews like Yan Lo I stay away from it.

Sabotage

It's quite resource efficient, as it only needs 3 markers in total, but it's also highly table dependent. Look out for LOS blocking terrain, with a small footprint, on the flanks. Small forests or impassable buildings are legit choices. This way, you can drop your markers where your opponent needs to work to get into LOS to remove them. If there's no fitting terrain, don't be afraid to pick another scheme. Seamus might be more interested in this scheme than other masters.

Runic Binding

This is a weird scheme, as it has A LOT of requirements and a good portion isn't in your control. I look at the opponent's crew and the board. If it is a bubble crew and/or the board favoures a brawl in the middle, this is a scheme I might take, if there is nothing better in the pool. But only with a crew that can drop schemes while in engagement and/or drop them without Interact actions. Therefore, I can count the times I've taken this scheme at one hand, but I wouldn't disregarding it outright.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1