2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Caedrus

3 hours ago, Diddick said:

This NMM is insane 😱😱😱😱😱

It's really good (I like the blue steel color choice). I think you could push your extreme highlight a little bit more. Also, imo, they look a bit clean for something just getting out of the dirt (but this is personal taste). 

Beside that great brush work!

56 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Hi there!

Done for the month with the obsidian statue (9 SS)

vbYEQbl.jpegLP28z8I.jpeg
1Mjr4ec.jpegCqzj7Yt.jpeg

I tried to keep it as much "obsidian black"  as possible while also creating a color contrast going from blueish grays on the top highlights to red/orange on bottom fire OSL highlights.

The images are so dark is quite hard to see the bottom OSL though... i might try to take pics with a lighter background and see if looks better.

Next year there will be more and (hopefully) better ^^

And in case there's no chance to write here again in the next days: merry Xmas to everyone, and have a happy entrance to a less crazy new year!

Oh my god, this is a so awesome!!!!!!! How do you even get 'better' than this?! Seriously amazing and astonishing work! 😃

• Thanks 1

I have done with the fountain:

ftn01.thumb.jpg.0af867c240f73f5f32859da366dceb0c.jpg

As regard water:

I used, for the first time, AK Still Water. I got the feeling it's thicker than Vallejo one. That created some troubles with air bubbles. I fixed it adding some drops of GSW acrylic thinner for airbrush so to get a  more fluid stuff when layering.

To make moving water, and waves I used two combined techniques.

1. I took some cotton swabs and dry removed the cotton fibers, then I soaked them with Still Water. I gave them the shape I desired and let all dry on baker paper. The resulting stuff can be refined with a cutter and scissors, then put in place on the fountain model and glued with still water.

2. I used GSW Transparent Gel to finish the splashes and create some waves.

As a last step I spotted the water parts with a very thin mixture of acrylic thinner + still water + blue-green wash.

For more see at the link:

@Caedrus, I thank you again for support offered in this project...... BTW, I have no idea of the ss value of the fountain model.

P.S.: taking photos I used the best lighting conditions to evidence the "water games". As a result the solid (marble like painted) components look very flat in the pics.

Edited by Purple Mist
Added the P.S.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nearly forgot to upload these girls before the Holidays.

Here's my Christmas Panto showgirls. Tried to give them a bit of a spotlit look with more shadows on the back than the front. Not sure I did all the faces justice are they are great sculpts but very small.

Cassandra and Colette

Ye8Qis8.jpg

1yqwYSp.jpg

Showgirls

UNqBH6d.jpg

6OMGjGf.jpg

And Mannequins

XSuLflY.jpg

wohaQaZ.jpg

Which happily closes out the year for me with + 41 soulstones. @Caedrus 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. Congratulations to everyone who competed in the challenge this year. And a heartfelt thank you to Caedrus for hosting this wonderful font of inspiration, motivation and painting enjoyment. Look forward to seeing many of you again next year. 

• Like 8

On 12/17/2020 at 9:16 AM, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, checking in!

I finished these guys (maybe the base edges need one more coat, though...)

image.thumb.png.093caf383b89903ffd5127eda903f1df.png

Thanks @Diddick, and thanks @SEV for the feedback! Doing those white highlights is for me the final step in NMM, and always the most nerve-wracking!

I really struggle to make my miniatures appear dirty, even though these drills utterly should be. I have decreased the NMM effect towards the bottom of the minis, and then used some dusting powders for extra grime and dust. In my Malifaux, soulstones have a violet / magenta colour (not canon, but I like purple. Whatchagonnado?)

Now onto my mercenary crew, to be painted over my just-starting holidays! Woo!

Caedrus.

Amazing result! I also painted S-miners during my free time(which is quite short right now).

• Like 9

Finishing off the year with the M2E Viktorias box set with an Alt Taelor:

yvNvFZO.jpgoiKmW7O.jpg

BSl5lVv.jpgZFgspEw.jpg

ebZxqru.jpgICdbjYj.jpg

DMIgGMR.jpgxy0lOnR.jpg

53shdhc.jpgfalcGgj.jpg

a2xRoH6.jpg

I really struggled with the skin on these girls. Tried several methods and wasn't overly pleased with any of them. I'm also not crazy about the bases; the Vallejo desert kind of looks like cake batter. Happy to have these off the table so I can finish the 1988 Mei Feng crew. Then, it's onto the Explorer's Society.

That's 47ss for me, @Caedrus Thanks for all that you've done this year.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

I really struggled with the skin on these girls. Tried several methods and wasn't overly pleased with any of them. I'm also not crazy about the bases; the Vallejo desert kind of looks like cake batter.

I like a lot your crew. Beautiful models, great detailed and the gold yellow bases are very original. Bravo!

• Thanks 1