2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Caedrus

It's the final month of the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the December Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here.

December is, for so many people, a time of gathering around the fire with loved ones. Or, if you're in Australia, feeling like you're on fire for the next three months. Stupid Australian summer.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:
  1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for December!

Caedrus.

• Like 3

A quick discussion about 2021

Anyone want to host?

I mentioned in a different thread that if anyone is interested in hosting the 2021 Painting Challenge, please do let me know. I'm happy to do it, but if someone else wants to undertake the role, please do put your hand up!

I don't want to be the person who tries to bully their way into another term. If the people vote against me, then I can promise a smooth transition of power. No recounts, no accusations of fraud. 😉

So, the next statements are based around me hosting...

Buyback in 2021

This worked. We'll do this again.

Better spreadsheet maintenance

Yeah, no excuses. I'll do better at this.

Feedback

I haven't been as vocal with my feedback this year. I'll be trying to encourage others to join me in giving feedback, especially to newer painters.

A few other ideas

I'll get in touch with the site admins, to see if we can get a badge for people who complete every month.

Does anyone else have any ideas they would like to explore?

Let's talk about this!

Anyway, just a few ideas, always up for discussion. I'll be putting up a 2021 sign-up sheet in the next few days, as well.

Have a great December!

Caedrus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Caedrus

I have a last time doubt about the rules you illustrated fot next year.

Supposing a pledger would like to go after and pledge a very huge and complex project, think of it as a castle, a fortified citadel, anyway something very huge and complex. At the same time because of the nature of the target she/he will not get able to post it as single components but must present only the finished stuff. On th other way the pledger could have to go after that single project for many months. How to manage that pledge?

P.S.: you have my vote and my congrats for winning the Montly Competition Pledge leadership for the next 5 years. :D

IMG_20201129_172959.thumb.jpg.ced9be41da33769bed72f5857c6d3474.jpg

I own 5 Castle Craft kit boxes and my idea is to use the components to get a single huge castle.

Edited by Purple Mist
  • Like 2

My December Pledge will include:

Lazarus - Amost done. I have just to complete the still water layering on the swamp base.

Pandora's Crew - Hoping to get a lucly start with airbrushing the models I could complete the 3 Sorrows and the Poltergeist.

City Fountain - I got AK Still Water and GSW Modellable Gel, so I should be able to complete this scenic. My only doubt is about the real, water like transparency of GSW Gel that I till need to test.

Enforcing my Honey Pot Crew is in my ambitions but I fear that will not be matter for December; I prefer to go after Drop Fleet Commander heavy units.

• Like 3

@Caedrus I appreciate your efforts this year. Despite me half assing it a lot lately, I've enjoyed tagging along and seeing everyone work on their stuff throughout the year.

__

For December I'm doing plastic Ryle as a gift for a friend. Will be towards end of the month though as I'm prioritising ten other non-challenge models first.

@Caedrusthank you for running the challenge this yrar, it's really helped me keep my motivations and chin up throughout 2020. You have my vote to continue to run it.

As for my December, I'm pledging the rest of the Witches and Woes box, the 3rd Insidious Madness, Carver, Teddy, 2 Aversions, a Lyssa, and I may even finally finish the Bandersnatch, or start on Vasilisa and Hinamatsu. Oh, and one if the snowmen ice gamin for a local event. Another month if "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks". Probably add alt Candy and Kade depending on the the black friday order arrives. 

large.20201201_191929.jpg.93f1b2b917e772621fc00a905b61d426.jpg

• Like 2

Hi there! I'll keep working on TTs versatiles, and will pledge the Obsidian Statue this month for 9ss.

@Caedrus the badge idea is great, will work nice as an extra motivation push, let's see what the admins say 🤞

And about other ideas for the challenge, I enjoyed when there was a little bit more than just the minis, like sharing the shelves of shame, or the favorite painters...

Each month anyone could suggest a topic to be shared in the next month's challenge.

Could be anything, from favorite mini, terrain, paints brand, color, technique...

And the host would decide which one of the topics will be shared on the next month.  Voting would be nice and all, but the host deciding just makes things waaaay easier ^^

And since next month is already 2021, I'll suggest an idea already in case the idea sticks:

What do you struggle with the most when painting a mini?

• Like 2

I'm returning to the Viks this month to get them off the already-full paint table 😅

@Diddick "What do you struggle with the most when painting a mini?" 

I struggle with envisioning the mini's final look. It's why I rely on painting tutorials and google images for reference; I can't even get started until I see a paint job or a combination of colors that I think will suit the model.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Old Lazarus isn't the most inspiring mini to paint. Good on you for finishing. Did the tubes come in red plastic?

To make things interesting I used GSW Color Shift Paints mixed with other metallic paints so to get a more soft shifting. Then the minis was my first testbed for GSW Liquid Pigments.

The tubes are in red, non rigid, transparent plastic. It was a nightmare to clean the fusion lines from the tubes leaving their surface smooth. I washed the tubes with a red and a violet GSW washes to give the idea of something flowing inside....... but in the pics the most evident effect was produced by photobox lighting.

Edited by Purple Mist
Added some text.

15 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

@astapable Skintone on Ophelia looks immense. Others are great as usual but she really pops. The highlights on the base look a bit scratchy by comparison. Not that they look bad, but the model being so smooth makes them look like they're painted in a different style. 

A+ work as usual though. 

Yep, the bases painted with some layers of drybrush as its fast and kind of realistic method to catch those edges. Also the bases ate heavy on details and making them more artistic would change the focus from characters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1