Rezzers in Fauxvember!

Yore Huckleberry

Hi guys! I'm not a Rezzer player but I've been running some stats on the Fauxvember Vassal tournament. Here are some numbers for you all!

You can see the raw data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18zIZCXiSaXK6QE1fyady3htLn4P3aAevI7Xel3nCzuI/edit?usp=sharing

Disclaimers:

I'm using the document as a working doc, too, so there'll be some side-calculations here and there. The games are in the top block.

Also, this is a smallish sample size with specific pools and matchups and players of all sorts of skill levels, plus some players didn't fully report their games. Still, there were 12 rezzer players in the tourney, so you all had a bit more data than any other faction!

The Scores

Rezzers collectively took a record of 17 wins, 17 losses, and 1 draw (with one bye). As a raw average, this is in the middle; Bayou, Thunders, Neverborn, and Arcanists had winning records, while Guild and Outcasts had losing records.

That said, individual rezzer players did very well, including Vladimir G winning the tournament, and Rezzers held 4 positions (1, 6, 7, and 10 in the top 10). Even accounting for having twice as many rezzers as each other faction (most were at 5, with arcanists at 6), this is twice as strong a showing in the top 10 as we might expect.

One additional note is that with this higher representation, Rezzers played other rezzer players 5 times total, including on top table in round 3, which yielded the 1st and 10th positions, so five of the 17 rezzer losses were to other rezzer lists.

The Masters

Von Schtook 6 2 1 9
Yan Lo 5 3 0 8
Jack Daw 1 1 0 2
Molly 2 3 0 5
Kirai 1 2 0 3
Reva 2 5 0 7
McMourning 0 0 0 0
Seamus 0 1 0 1
Faction 17 17 1 35

Every Rezzer Master except McMourning was played at least once. Seamus took a 6-5 loss playing against Reva. Other masters had mixed records. Von Schtook and Yan Lo lived up to their hype, while Kirai had a rougher tournament. Reva, despite her reworking, had a rough tournament as well. Molly and Jack Daw both had middling records.

Obviously much of master selection has to do with particular maps, matchups, and players, but this is a decent amount of data to think about.

The Schemes

Rezzers R E Times Taken % completed
Runic Binding 0 0 0 n/a
Leave Your Mark 11 8 15 0.6333333333
Hidden Martyrs 2 0 2 0.5
Claim Jump 3 2 6 0.4166666667
Research Mission
6 4 6 0.8333333333
Breakthrough 2 0 2 0.5
Vendetta 6 7 11 0.5909090909
Assassinate 9 5 9 0.7777777778
Spread Them Out
2 1 3 0.5
Take Prisoner 1 1 1 1
Sabotage 1 1 1 1
Catch and Release
4 2 4 0.75
Let Them Bleed 3 2 3 0.8333333333

Over 3 games, all 13 schemes were on offer at least once, with Leave Your Mark and Vendetta offered twice. In general, Rezzers were able to find success with whatever schemes they chose, with only Claim Jump represented at less than 50% points scored. Take Prisoner and Sabotage were fully scored but only selected once each. Schemes that target a particular model (Hidden Martyrs, Claim Jump, Vendetta) were scored a bit lower. "Killy" schemes such as Let Them Bleed and Assassinate were strong takes. Leave Your Mark and Breakthrough were in the middle, and Runic Binding was not selected.

The Strats

In Corner Symbols of Authority, Rezzers scored 29 points out of 44 possible (one bye) for a rate of 65.9%. This is roughly equal to the tourney-wide rate of 64.8%.

In Flank Corrupted Ley Lines, Rezzers scored 33 points of 48 possible for a rate of 68.75% This is also roughly equal to the tourney-wide rate of 67.6%.

In Wedge Recover Evidence, Rezzers scored 19 points of 48 possible for a rate of 39.6%, which is a bit lower than the tourney-wide rate of 47%, although this was also the lowest-scored strat tourney-wide.

All said, Rezzers seem to be in a standard position for scoring strategy points.

Final Analysis?

Rezzers has access to multiple powerful masters and good versatile and out of keyword picks, and can choose broadly from even complex scheme pools, which seems to be where they had their biggest edge for scoring in this tournament. It's a broadly attractive faction right now, and is holding the attention of strong players who are getting competitive wins in with them. The faction is in a good place, though the pre-eminent masters (Von Schtook and Yan Lo) may be crowding out the broad stable a bit at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Thank you for posting this! Surprised to see twice as many rezzers as anyone else, but not surprised to see which masters ended up at the top of the curve.

(Also, it appears I accidentally quoted you and I do not know how to get rid of that! xD)

• Thanks 1

Some comments on my experience with the schemes and strats.

Corner symbols of authority - I over-scored that one. I would have had a much better chance of winning that game if I had scored less and focused on denial rather than scoring. Lost with Reva against Tara. Battle report already up.

Flank corrupted leylines - I won that one with Molly, scoring all four points. Not much to say about it other than I think it is one of my strongest strategies (possibly one of our stronger strategies overall? We're very good at denying and scoring it). Battle report already up.

Wedge recover evidence - took a Seamus build that was super interesting, but ultimately did not work at all for the pool (Seamus, Rogue Necromancy, Emissary, Nurse, Belle with GST, Mourner with GST). My opponent also took a funky Reva list (Toshiro, Anna, Grave Golem, Emissary, Restless spirit). We had both lost a round so were playing for fun at that point. I've got a video so may do a battle report at some point.

Runic binding - I should have taken this on Wedge (recover evidence) because it would have been much easier to score than hidden martyrs against Reva (I forgot burning didn't give the martyrs point 😜 ). Runic binding is really good with claim jump and leave your mark in the pool, because you're virtually guaranteed to have a brawl in the centre (and in my case, he had Toshiro summons, so it was very likely there'd be three models there).

Leave Your Mark - it was extremely hard to deny Reva's crew this scheme with how much crazy board control she had when I played against her. I took it in the first pool with Reva, but failed to protect my markers because I forgot Don't Mind Me allows picking up markers in engagement xD

Vendetta - we face a lot of squishy models that are easy to chunk down with focus, and the Emissary aura really helps ensure we can do it even to henchman (though we'll still be on a minus flip there). My Emissary vendetta-ed his Aionus reasonably easily, was some of my most efficient points all month.

Hidden Martyrs - even on recover evidence, this is a tricky one to take on two weak models as they can afford to take their time narrowing your options. Much prefer Archie + Crooligan so you can really punish them for not killing you (plus Archie can't die to conditions xD). I took it on Mourner/Nurse and really telegraphed that I had it.

Research Mission - Seamus vs. Reva, both with Emissaries? Yeah, we both scored both points... xD The only comment there is having three models alive to score at the end can be tricky, but we both went for low strat games.

Take Prisoner - we are SO GOOD at Take Prisoner, can't remember why we didn't have more of it. Possibly because it was in the same pool as vendetta and assassinate - those were the schemes I took, and it paid off much better simply killing his crew over prisoner-ing in that situation.

Catch and Release - didn't take it because I was against Tara and using Bone Piles against her seems like a terrible idea. Otherwise I think this is an extremely strong scheme for the right crew.

I took Yan Lo round 1 and 2 and Albus round 3 because I knew I was playing into either Sandeep or Colette, and the hell with them I'm taking something broken too. 

I had a pretty good showing, I tied for 8th with 2 other players and if it weren't for a Jorogmo in a McCabe crew going ham I have a good shot at winning game 2 at least drawing it. 

Playing against one of the Russian Sandeep players makes me hate sandeep even more. I still think Sandeep is the best keyword/master in the game followed closely by Colette. Throughout the entire tourney all I heard was ressers are OP, rider is OP, resser are just busted, those two are simply better. Of course this data is going to tell the world ressers are busted, they're already going to be mostly nerfed into the ground so i guess get it while the getting is good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I took Yan Lo round 1 and 2 and Albus round 3 because I knew I was playing into either Sandeep or Colette, and the hell with them I'm taking something broken too. 

I had a pretty good showing, I tied for 8th with 2 other players and if it weren't for a Jorogmo in a McCabe crew going ham I have a good shot at winning game 2 at least drawing it. 

Playing against one of the Russian Sandeep players makes me hate sandeep even more. I still think Sandeep is the best keyword/master in the game followed closely by Colette. Throughout the entire tourney all I heard was ressers are OP, rider is OP, resser are just busted, those two are simply better. Of course this data is going to tell the world ressers are busted, they're already going to be mostly nerfed into the ground so i guess get it while the getting is good. 

If there's a busted Rider, that's the Arcanist's for sure :P (although the Dead R. could see that "ultimate" having a "not cheatable damage flip").

I honestly don't think that Yan Lo is busted outside Toshiro, he is nuts for 9ss. However, Albus definitely needs some "fine tuning". Congrats on your position! ;) I do agree with you, if they come with their Arcanists' big guns (Colette/Sandeep), bring Von Schtook and make it an (almost) fair fight.

• Agree 1

I agree make the dead rider revel damage uncheatable and hes perfectly fine. Mech Rider is busted beyond belief and every time I hear someone defending it or try to tell me the dead rider is better I start to hear white noise and I just want to say "you know you're wrong, right?" 

Albus needs some fine tuning, but hes not on the level of busted that Sandeep and Colette are. I'm assuming they wont let you make non-transmortis models fast with him anymore, they will cap the damage on the condition removal and probably something that just makes him meh. You have to make the masses feel better. 

Super useful breakdown! Cheers. 

Had a rough tourney, including being beaten by yourself 😅 I think my losses were mainly down to my inexperience and my really poor scheme choice, and failing to use Reva at her best.

Really struggling to get Reva feeling as strong as she apparently can be. 

It's good see the thoughts here on scheme choice, hope I can take the lessons learned into next month! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I predict Reva will be the strongest resser master in GG2. Just have a gut feeling on this one. 

She is pretty darn strong!  She is both an amazing beater and a strong support model at the same time (generates resources - corpses), with some really solid keyword models (shieldbearer, restless spirit).

However, where she excels is when you need a single super mobile model (like symbols, leylines, etc).

I can imagine a strategy where you have to have a model in each table corner for example, and there she might start to be spread a bit thin.

So will be interesting to see what the new strats and schemes are.

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

She is pretty darn strong!  She is both an amazing beater and a strong support model at the same time (generates resources - corpses), with some really solid keyword models (shieldbearer, restless spirit).

However, where she excels is when you need a single super mobile model (like symbols, leylines, etc).

I can imagine a strategy where you have to have a model in each table corner for example, and there she might start to be spread a bit thin.

So will be interesting to see what the new strats and schemes are.

I agree, new strats and schemes will depend on whats going on, and Reva is somewhat constrained by the models that are effective with her. Really curious to see who raises to the top in the next one. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

If Toshiro gets nerfed, that's going to be a big hit for Reva. Unless they make Lampads and Vincent actually playable.

One thing that always stands out to me is how there are a lot of models that so strongly synergise with keywords that they end up working better with that keyword than the keyword models do. Reva is such a strong example of that, with Toshiro, Anna, and Bete all having better synergy with Reva than most of the keyword.

That said, I'm not sure it would be a 'big' hit for Reva. Toshiro comes with a number of limitations, and isn't good in every pool. That said, I did lose my last round to Toshiro in Reva's crew, so can definitely see how he is bonkers in some situations xD

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

If there's a busted Rider, that's the Arcanist's for sure :P (although the Dead R. could see that "ultimate" having a "not cheatable damage flip").

Honestly, the ultimate isn't the biggest thing IMO. You get killed by the ultimate a few times before you learn to adjust how your crew plays against Dead Riders where you don't have to worry as much about his ult.

The reap trigger... Now that's a brutal thing to have to deal with, and it is relevant from turn 2 (or turn 1 if you want to settle for a 8 inch reposition for the enemy/four for dead rider).

EDIT: Although I suppose it's an issue with the ultimate that you have to build your crew around it a bit, so to a degree you have to build every crew against ressers being conscious of the ultimate. So while it may be fine (in that it can be beaten), it may still warp the matchups too much to be reasonable.

I almost never use his 5 trigger revel in death to be honest. By the time its relevant, I need him doing something else to score points. 

Toshiro is getting nerfed for sure. Probably a TN increase and a point increase I'm guessing. I'll be interested to see if Ashigaru stay the same. If he goes to a 11 its meh, 12 is a pretty hard nerf. Either way I don't think his stone count should increase. 

18 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I almost never use his 5 trigger revel in death to be honest. By the time its relevant, I need him doing something else to score points.

I think that's the thing, his revel in death trigger is only worth using when its overpowered, and so that's what people tend to notice. In the majority of my games I don't use it, but when I do use it, it wins the game on the spot. So only the people who leave themselves open see it in action.

18 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Toshiro is getting nerfed for sure. Probably a TN increase and a point increase I'm guessing. I'll be interested to see if Ashigaru stay the same. If he goes to a 11 its meh, 12 is a pretty hard nerf. Either way I don't think his stone count should increase. 

What is it about Toshiro that people are finding overpowered? I know if you use NotSoEmpty's method of double summoning turn one he seems a bit broken (but then, most methods of double summoning turn one do). I've played him a bit with Molly and he seems super reasonable there. Kirai is better than gravedigger + toshiro in the vast majority of cases. Although OOK Kirai is absolutely bonkers, so I'm not sure she is the best power-level comparison.

Reva of course he feels stronger with due to the free corpses, but he puts so much pressure on the hand (something she already struggles with to a degree).

EDIT: as an example of other faction's shenanigans, Widow Weavers can summon Stitched Together with stat 7, which easily seems as strong as an Ashigaru. Benny Wolcomb can summon a rat king. And Minako's got her Katashiro summons, easily one of the best summoned scheme runners in the game (although of course limited by the change to summoning, where they now can't interact the turn they come down).

21 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think that's the thing, his revel in death trigger is only worth using when its overpowered, and so that's what people tend to notice. In the majority of my games I don't use it, but when I do use it, it wins the game on the spot. So only the people who leave themselves open see it in action.

What is it about Toshiro that people are finding overpowered? I know if you use NotSoEmpty's method of double summoning turn one he seems a bit broken (but then, most methods of double summoning turn one do). I've played him a bit with Molly and he seems super reasonable there. Kirai is better than gravedigger + toshiro in the vast majority of cases. Although OOK Kirai is absolutely bonkers, so I'm not sure she is the best power-level comparison.

Reva of course he feels stronger with due to the free corpses, but he puts so much pressure on the hand (something she already struggles with to a degree).

EDIT: as an example of other faction's shenanigans, Widow Weavers can summon Stitched Together with stat 7, which easily seems as strong as an Ashigaru. Benny Wolcomb can summon a rat king. And Minako's got her Katashiro summons, easily one of the best summoned scheme runners in the game (although of course limited by the change to summoning, where they now can't interact the turn they come down).

Toshiro has 10Wds, Df5, Wp 6, Terrifying 11 and HtW. He's also a Henchman. He can take damage way over his cost + do a lot of support.

34 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I would honestly prefer Toshiro to keep his current point cost and lose 1 Wd + Ashigarus coming with 1Wd. I really don't like a bunch of models of the same keyword costing 9-10ss. I think that the 10ss cost should be something "exceptional", to represent the best of the best within keyword.

Toshiro is really strong in certain pools under certain situations. Thats the rub with him. Put him in Reva where you already have a ton of corpse generation and you don't need to worry about getting corpses. Couple that with his 6 inch aura for positive flips on attacks with minions and Shieldbearers get a considerable jump. He also heals and supports, and if he really has too, he can go punch something with decent effectiveness. 

Hes a good model, but I don't think hes broken. I think he is in a good spot. To me hes very situational, and the current list of schemes and strats favor him. Hes really good in symbols and hes pretty good in recover. Not so good in the other 2.  What happens is though, is he can feel oppressive if you don't play for him, or a few things don't go your way. He can make a free model that sits on a symbol that you just never get to pick up. 

Stitched are still BS models, and Mianko or however you spell her name is also a BS model. How shes 8 stones is beyond me. 

Tell Sybelle she's special at 10 stones lol. 

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I know if you use NotSoEmpty's method of double summoning turn one he seems a bit broken (but then, most methods of double summoning turn one do).

What is that? His action is Once per Turn. How are you getting around that?

He seems fine to me and while helpful isn't breaking things most of the time. Looking around at other factions and keywords he's hardly game shattering. He is one of the only non-master ways we have to summon, which may be causing some  people issue, but OOK he's 10ss - he better be doing something. 

He's tough to take down, but is pretty much purely support. If you don't have some way to move him he also falls behind the minions he's trying to support. And it's not like any of our minions are quite as bad as say a Jorogumo.... 

• Agree 1

Toshiro isn't a problem, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and you have a lot of people complaining about him. I keep seeing other models that just do more. Ressers are in a weird spot with henchmen in my opinion. Most are not good in their chosen crews, and two can show up almost anywhere. 

I really hope some of these henchmen get good changes, because they really need it. Looking at you Vincent, Philip, and Sybelle. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

What is that? His action is Once per Turn. How are you getting around that?

He seems fine to me and while helpful isn't breaking things most of the time. Looking around at other factions and keywords he's hardly game shattering. He is one of the only non-master ways we have to summon, which may be causing some  people issue, but OOK he's 10ss - he better be doing something. 

He's tough to take down, but is pretty much purely support. If you don't have some way to move him he also falls behind the minions he's trying to support. And it's not like any of our minions are quite as bad as say a Jorogumo.... 

The combo is in a couple of posts already. You basically activate Toshiro, kill him and then bring him back with a Gokudo that gets replaced, so can activate again and summon another Ashigaru.

Toshiro is too resilient for a 9ss model + all that he brings (probably the toughest 9ss model in the game). Neither with Reva or Yan Lo is ever going to fall behind and in any case, you can bring the rider or some lures.

With Reva is going to be very weird that you don't have 3 Ashigarus by turn 3 and with Yan Lo you can have them in turn 2. They're amazing to take care of Symbols and they're really tough to kill, specially to be a summoned model without upgrade (which that makes them way better that regular summons, like for example the Forgotten Marshall).

5 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I really hope some of these henchmen get good changes, because they really need it. Looking at you Vincent, Philip, and Sybelle. 

They definitely need some help, 100% agree.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

no, just not so empty is overpowered) other ressers are not)

16 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Ressers are in a weird spot with henchmen in my opinion. Most are not good in their chosen crews, and two can show up almost anywhere. 

I'd say that we are in a pretty good spot for Henchmen.

• Top tier: Valedictorian, Anna, Toshiro, Manos
  • Solid: Datsue Ba, Sebastian (?), Sloth
  • Semi-solid/niche playable: Vincent, Philip
  • Trash tier: Sybelle, Asura (?), Mortimer (?)

And personally I'd rather the zombies be a meme than crazy strong and in lots of crews. Buffs/changes to Sybelle for sure, and I wouldn't say no to buffs for Vincent and Philip.

16 hours ago, ShinChan said:

Toshiro is too resilient for a 9ss model + all that he brings (probably the toughest 9ss model in the game)

He is not even in the same league as Mortimer for toughness, but I take your point about him being somewhat hard to remove. Although last time I played him I was against Leveticus, and removing him was trivial for that crew xD But I think Toshiro is just bad against Outcasts anyway, so probably shouldn't have brought him in (since their Emissary hands out Don't Mind Me upgrade).

To the main point - given that he can summon Ashigaru to protect himself, I can see there being an argument that if he needs a nerf, you should either hit his survivability or the OP combos (aka, Chiaki).

That said, he is SO hand-intensive. If you use a card to summon and Take the Hit twice, you've used half your hand for the turn for this one part of your crew...

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'd say that we are in a pretty good spot for Henchmen.

• Top tier: Valedictorian, Anna, Toshiro, Manos, Mortimer
  • Solid: Datsue Ba, Sebastian (?), Sloth
  • Semi-solid/niche playable: Vincent, Philip
  • Trash tier: Sybelle, Asura (?), Mortimer (?)

And personally I'd rather the zombies be a meme than crazy strong and in lots of crews. Buffs/changes to Sybelle for sure, and I wouldn't say no to buffs for Vincent and Philip.

He is not even in the same league as Mortimer for toughness, but I take your point about him being somewhat hard to remove. Although last time I played him I was against Leveticus, and removing him was trivial for that crew xD But I think Toshiro is just bad against Outcasts anyway, so probably shouldn't have brought him in (since their Emissary hands out Don't Mind Me upgrade).

To the main point - given that he can summon Ashigaru to protect himself, I can see there being an argument that if he needs a nerf, you should either hit his survivability or the OP combos (aka, Chiaki).

That said, he is SO hand-intensive. If you use a card to summon and Take the Hit twice, you've used half your hand for the turn for this one part of your crew...

mortimer, asura, sebastian, philip are useless

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Plaag said:

mortimer, asura, sebastian, philip are useless

I think Philip is borderline playable in plant explosives and corrupted leylines, but yeah, that seems reasonable.  I haven't played Sebastian much yet so don't have an opinion on him.

Certainly from a competitive perspective, Philip would be useful in less than 20% of Molly pools.