Misery condition "gain"

McCabe

Question

8 answers to this question

1 minute ago, McCabe said:

This one felt like it was gain from reading the rulebook. 

Some conditions have a value.. if a model with such a condition "gains another instance of that same condition" the value is added... 

It doesn't say "would gain". 

To me this one is not ambiguous and you definitely count as gaining a stackable condition even when you already had that condition. 

• Agree 3

I don't believe you would count as having gained the condition. Since a model can only have one instance of a condition at a time when the model would gain the condition they cannot, since they already have it. So I think you would have to conclude that the model does not count as having gained the condition. 

6 hours ago, McCabe said:

Some conditions have a value.. if a model with such a condition "gains another instance of that same condition" the value is added... 

It doesn't say "would gain". 

To me this one is not ambiguous and you definitely count as gaining a stackable condition even when you already had that condition. 

But it does say gains. You just apply it slightly differently.

A model with a non-stackable condition cannot gain another instance of it. This is clarified under "This Or That Choices," 

"Some effects within the game provide a model with a choice, such as “discard a card or gain Stunned.” In cases such as this, the model making the choice may choose either option, provided they have the capability to resolve that option. In the case above, if the model had no cards in its Control Hand, it could not choose to discard a card; if the model already had the Stunned Condition (or could not gain it for some reason), it could not choose to gain Stunned. If a model cannot resolve either option, the effect is ignored."

• Agree 2