AoS vs Malifaux: Meme Warfare

Whut

3 hours ago, Adran said:

Unfortunatly I don't think the information in the malifaux one is right. (For example the fate deck doesn't make the luck even out more than using die would, and its not all down to a single flip)

His phrasing isn't quite right, but luck in Malifaux is more "normalised."

In Malifaux, the events are not independent (if you flip four ones in a row, you cannot flip another one. Every flip influences the probability of all future flips until the deck is reshuffled).

In dice rolling, the events are independent (if you roll all 1s on one roll, the next roll's odds of rolling all ones is exactly the same as before).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

well I don't really do memes (what ever they are) and don't know what chad is (unless this is some US election thing again or an African nation)

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

In Malifaux, the events are not independent (if you flip four ones in a row, you cannot flip another one. Every flip influences the probability of all future flips until the deck is reshuffled).

In dice rolling, the events are independent (if you roll all 1s on one roll, the next roll's odds of rolling all ones is exactly the same as before).

What you say is true, but it misses a few things, such as the increased variability cards have, and also the case with postive/negative flips. 

I think you can be luck screwed just as much with a deck of cards as you can with handfuls of dice, although I don't know which is more likely to give "even" luck. (I have had a model spend both actions attacking in a turn, and getting a black joker on each of those attacks. Its pretty unlikely, but not impossible. 

But apparently its not meant to be factual. 

I just don't like the idea that we should insult other war gamers 

• Agree 4

On 11/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, Adran said:

well I don't really do memes (what ever they are) and don't know what chad is (unless this is some US election thing again or an African nation)

What you say is true, but it misses a few things, such as the increased variability cards have, and also the case with postive/negative flips. 

I think you can be luck screwed just as much with a deck of cards as you can with handfuls of dice, although I don't know which is more likely to give "even" luck. (I have had a model spend both actions attacking in a turn, and getting a black joker on each of those attacks. Its pretty unlikely, but not impossible. 

But apparently its not meant to be factual. 

People who would feel insulted over a meme deserve to be insulted. 

• Respectfully Disagree 2

On 11/13/2020 at 9:27 PM, Adran said:

I agree with this entirely. You could very easily produce an inverse of this that highlights all of AoS's better points and the weaknesses of malifaux.

As someone who plays Warhammer both AoS (well I have some models) and 40k I understand some of the points, but many are just innacurate. I mean, my biggest gripe about AoS isn't even on there......

I also don't really understand why this sort of thing should be posted, if you don't like AoS, that's your opinion, you don't need to force it on others or make them feel bad for it, especially with untruths.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NoisyAssassin said:

That's a super toxic attitude. There are plenty of funny things to post/make memes about that aren't predicated on being a jerk or making fun of things that other people like.

I have a very hard time with people who have such thin skin that they get insulted over a chad vs virgin meme. And people who call people toxic for that reason. 

22 minutes ago, esqulax said:

I have a very hard time with people who have such thin skin that they get insulted over a chad vs virgin meme. And people who call people toxic for that reason. 

I am not sure anyone was offended by a meme.

It is somewhat distasteful, and I can see why people don't like it.

What is toxic is this attitude:

8 hours ago, esqulax said:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, esqulax said:

I'm not insulted by the meme, and even though I started as a warhammer player and understand the issues it raises with AOS, it is trying to make fun of other people, which is a poor form of Humour at best (I'm actually more insulted* by the claims it makes about Malifaux players) and I don't think its a good idea to have on a Wyrd site, as I'm sure there is a lot of crossover in games and recruiting from 1 system to another. 

I mainly objected to the actual flaws in it about malifaux, as misleading information about the game on the companies own forums probably should be called out as not true 

I don't always understand why people get offended by some things, but insulting someone because they got insulted seems like a bad attitude in this current day and age. (I also don't believe in automatically removing something just because it offends one person, because if we did that we would end up removing everything). 

I doubt that this meme has offended anyone, but I don't like the slope it starts people down. 

(if I was more tech savvy I would probably add a meme about offensive things here - Please just assume I have, and it was very funny)

* Note-not actually insulted but find them potentially more offensive

12 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I am not sure anyone was offended by a meme.

It is somewhat distasteful, and I can see why people don't like it.

What is toxic is this attitude:

This thread has spiralled from what was just imo a fun joke but I feel it is incredibly silly to start up a dialogue about how you shouldn't make fun of other people and their hobbies, when it is so obvious a joke. I am sure if you went on any other forum about a game system they have jokes about how their game is awesome and other games are terrible.

Anyway I am not gonna post more in here, but people acting like they are insulted (whether they were or not) at the benefit of others is a real pet peeve of mine. And over something as silly as a chad vs virgin meme of all things. 

5 hours ago, Dtrain said:

Whether it’s funny or not is opinion.  

1. Comedy is opinion based; no one else can determine if something is or is not funny to you.  I personally did find it funny, but it doesn't matter what the rest of you thought about it to be funny to me.
  2. How the hell does Dtrain have -2 posts?Screenshot_20201118-174632.jpg.e03fb861c88abce657c106fdcb796933.jpg
  3. Are we 1984ing content now?  Is only what is approved by Chancellor Susan is allowed on the site?  Cause let me tell you most of my posts on this site are down right criminal.
  4. What negative impact does the meme have?

41 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:
  2. How the hell does Dtrain have -2 posts?Screenshot_20201118-174632.jpg.e03fb861c88abce657c106fdcb796933.jpg
  3. Are we 1984ing content now?  Is only what is approved by Chancellor Susan is allowed on the site?  Cause let me tell you most of my posts on this site are down right criminal.

Lol, -2 posts is some serious skill.

But no post is being 1984ed. The only mod in the thread hasn't even put on his mod hat, and no posts have been deleted/locked.

Just people posting their own counter opinions.

On topic for the meme - I always find it funny that people will go from AOS to play Malifaux, but no one in their right mind ditches Malifaux for AOS.

We're clearly the superior system 😜

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:33 PM, touchdown said:

I know it's not for everyone but the humor of the chad vs virgin meme comes from the claims being so exaggerated they have little connection to the actual reality.

This ^ 

I really don't understand how this thread got out of hand. Like, one of the comparisons is "plays against 13 year olds who microwave their dice" vs "plays against Vegas magicians who rig their deck" I thought the intentional absurdity was clear lol

• Agree 2

Well, that turned out in an interesting fashion.

The Virgin vs Chad Meme started, please correct me if I'm wrong, in the Incel community, where people used it to - sometimes playfully; sometimes harmfully - belittle and degrade themselves (the "virgins" who haven't found a girlfriend) and over exaggerate physical merits and flaws in character of the "Chads" (basically your typical high school jock who "gets the girl" but doesn't respect women).

Ever since these days the meme seems to have branched out into other territories of politics (e.g. US Virgin vs. China Chad) and pop culture. I can't quite read the authors' intentions but they all seem very ridiculous and hyper exaggerated to me.

Now for this specific one, I agree with those who feel that the claims made in the meme are so downright silly and over the top, that one should not get too offended by it, even if one happened to play AOS. Should someone feel offended, however, I hope they would engage in conversation and  just ask whether this is meant to be serious or not and the community would surely be more than happy to clarify the joke.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, esqulax said:

This, however, I cannot agree with. This world is more than bitter and toxic enough right now, so we should all strive to be more friendly and understanding with on another. Except racists, homophobes, and the like. F*** them.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:
  1. Comedy is opinion based; no one else can determine if something is or is not funny to you.  I personally did find it funny, but it doesn't matter what the rest of you thought about it to be funny to me.
  2. How the hell does Dtrain have -2 posts?
  4. What negative impact does the meme have?

1 Completely agree - what people find funny/offensive is often very personal to them. 

2 I have no idea. 

3 Assuming that your referring to Orwell, I can confirm we have always been at war with Euraisa and as such all content with doublespeak is questioned. (its a long time since I read 1984, I can't remember all the relevant things) (Although seriously, the moderation team is here to oversee the forum. There is occasionally content that does need to be removed, its not very common but it can occur. This has received no formal complaints, and I don't see a need to remove it.) I've also spent a lot of time recently with Groucho Marx "the funniest song in the world" on my sons Nursery Rhymes CD, which talks about humour without offense so it was on my mind. (It's about monkey that tries to make a funny song about a bear, then a kangeroo and then a monkey, but those animals overhear and comment how they don't find that funny at all)

4 Personally I haven't seen a meme on this site that I like (although I think strictly I mean an image macro, rather than a meme, although I can believe the "Virgin vs Chad" in general is a meme, having had to look up what a meme actually is). They take up space in threads. When I'm at work with the forums on the side, images get in the way, and when I read on my phone, they slow down the loading of the pages and make scrolling more effort.  So each meme has a very small amount of frustration for me. But I'm not the only user of the site, so I just accept that other people like and enjoy them and accept the personal frustration.  

4 hours ago, Adran said:

I've also spent a lot of time recently with Groucho Marx "the funniest song in the world" on my sons Nursery Rhymes CD, which talks about humour without offense so it was on my mind.

I am such a Marx Brothers mark...  their comedy is the absolute best!

• Like 1