Maxine Agassiz (EVS Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

On 5/3/2021 at 12:35 AM, Korrok said:

So looks like the scale issues with calypso were fixed. Also the box cost was bumped up from 25-45 dollars to reflect the new larger and more accurate to scale calypso. 

WYR23824-OfftheDeepEnd_BACK (1).png

WYR23824-2.jpg

This is great news! The EVS keyword is awesome but the initial scale issue with this box was really disappointing and I was not sur to buy in to this keyword because of that. Thank @Wyrd Office (whoever's responsible for this change).

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

So... I will try Maxine as a third master of ES. So do you have idea for versatile / OOk ?

For now... Effigy/Emissary is good with my playstyle but it's obvious... Maybe the Prospects? Espescially against masters like Brew or Sonnia. But after...

I see Jessie to create scrap markers for Calypso?

For now, I only see Machinist, dr Beebe and Calypso as... "auto include", other could be good but depend of schemes (in theory, I haven't a lot of games with her).

I haven't a lot of EVS experience, but I think you might want to try and balance the crew based on suits, so you avoid useless cards and minimise the competition for the cheating as much as possible. 

I'm not sure the machinist is an auto include, it certainly turns Calypso into into a model you either insta kill or ignore, but I think its close to that already in many matchups. 

5 minutes ago, Pallas4 said:

+ if all is auto include, there would be only one list. :'D 8 + 10 for Kiya and tidecaller

4 + 2 for Effigy/emissary

10 for Beebe/calypso...

34 points. ^^ I'll think about that.

I think Jesy was agreeing with you that the Machinists are auto includes because of all those other constructs  you can use, not that they are all also auto includes. 

I'd agree that if you have several constructs in the list the machinists are worth picking, I just don't call something an auto include if you only include it if there are already other things in the list. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Pallas4 said:

So... I will try Maxine as a third master of ES. So do you have idea for versatile / OOk ?

For now... Effigy/Emissary is good with my playstyle but it's obvious... Maybe the Prospects? Espescially against masters like Brew or Sonnia. But after...

I see Jessie to create scrap markers for Calypso?

For now, I only see Machinist, dr Beebe and Calypso as... "auto include", other could be good but depend of schemes (in theory, I haven't a lot of games with her).

I don't think Machinists are auto includs... they're fine 5ss models, but their best feature is the negation of Ennemy aura... So if this doesn't affect your opponent crew I would leave them on the side bench.

Grave goo is amazing with Calypso... it's a little bit map dependent but beside that it's an all-star.

I also really like Mickhail as a beater since most of your crew is soft and need to bubble and he's good at protecting them. 

Vernon's is a good scheme runner and is really good against WP attack crew.

Mr. N synergize well in this crew (with both is son and Maxine). And he's a good all around pick imo.

Beside that, I think it's important to spread your reconfigure suits (I wouldn't hire 3 models that reconfigure on crow for example).

35 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Could you please elaborate on that one?

Grave goo just smashes stuff. I've heard some people argue that it is the best model in the faction (though I wouldn't go that far).

I'm not sure of the relationship to calypso specifically, other than you want both models on boards with big patches of terrain that they can affect.

9 hours ago, Da Git said:

Could you please elaborate on that one?

Calypso has an unassisted massive push that ping for one (on a tome). So if you have Calypso and Goo in a forest. Calypso will do a pulse 3 2" push that do 2 damage and a poison unassisted (and because it's ping damage it ignores armor). You can do this 4 time in a turn... Silly.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SEV said:

Calypso has an unassisted massive push that ping for one (on a tome). So if you have Calypso and Goo in a forest. Calypso will do a pulse 3 2" push that do 2 damage and a poison unassisted (and because it's ping damage it ignores armor). You can do this 4 time in a turn... Silly.

Or 6 if Maxine makes them both fast.

Hmmm has anyone tried a poison EVS crew?

• Maxine - 12ss
  • Orville
  • Harata
  • Mr. Ngaatoro
  • Grave Goo
  • Beebe
  • Calypso

The Ngaatoro's stay together for their overlapping auras. As said, Grave Goo and Calypso can hang out as above.

Probably bring in Vernon and Welles. Something I kind of noticed that View of the Endless attacks Wp and same for Glimpse of the Void goes very nicely with Harata's Distraction aura. Give them staggered and then bury them to pop back up miles away. Myuh huh huh!

May want a Hopeful Prospector, effigy/effissary or a Lamplighter for some healing, especially for Harata (as he's the kind of the linchpin). Also helps set up Goo's Chronicles.

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

Hmmm has anyone tried a poison EVS crew?

• Maxine - 12ss
  • Orville
  • Harata
  • Mr. Ngaatoro
  • Grave Goo
  • Beebe
  • Calypso

I tried this exact crew + the Milk Elmental. 4 as is enough, 12 is overkill.

It's... fine. Milk elemental is actually really good here. You can toss your poison bubble upfield and/or toss people in and out of it (again, fin a nice forest to abuse Goo hazardous). 

This crew still have the same limitation as any other EVS crew and his more dependent on the poison sheenaningans (but less than something like Brewie). It works for me the only time I tried it but I can see it falling apart easily.

10 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I went against a surprisingly deadly one. Harata's - to willpower aura + Maxine's wp attack = tons of damage.

Harata seems strong to me, possibly my favorit in keyword model, which is sad as he buffs keyword.

Maxin seems to support oriented to get much benefit from his aura.

Beebe and calypso dont get my juices floweing. Same with the tide caller. He seems a bit bland, interesting toss, but thats it. 

Orvill is a bit bland as totems go

And machineists seem strong. But pigeon holed

2 minutes ago, izikial said:

Harata seems strong to me, possibly my favorit in keyword model, which is sad as he buffs keyword.

Maxin seems to support oriented to get much benefit from his aura.

Beebe and calypso dont get my juices floweing. Same with the tide caller. He seems a bit bland, interesting toss, but thats it. 

Orvill is a bit bland as totems go

And machineists seem strong. But pigeon holed

I think seeing her as pure support is definitely a mistake.

She can offensively hand out conditions to enemies (like slow on two models), or if the enemy is on minus flips she can get to severe damage pretty easily on her main attack. The touch of madness trigger can also mean you're draining their hand even with a moderate mask.

My view of her is that if you're not using her offensively, you're not unlocking her potential. She can attack something 3 times in melee from 13" away, which can just be devastating combined with the aura.

It isn't her only function, but it is a good one to keep in mind!

I've only played against her 3-4 times, though.

• Agree 1

I supose. I get the vibe that she is designed to be fine at everything and excel no where. And use her consistancy to make that a viable play style.

Any thoughts on her henchwoman. I have no idea how to make her usefull. Putside of her very short ranged aura

• 2 weeks later...

I may be fallen on my Head, but the Tidecaller screams

"throw the Emissary and Kiya into the Enemy Crew Round 1"

at me. Depending on enemy Crew this could buy you two Rounds of free reign over the rest of the Board. Now i am still waiting for my plastic to arrive any day now, but this will be one of the first things i wanna try (if only for the laugh)

1 minute ago, Gheist said:

I may be fallen on my Head, but the Tidecaller screams

"throw the Emissary and Kiya into the Enemy Crew Round 1"

at me. Depending on enemy Crew this could buy you two Rounds of free reign over the rest of the Board. Now i am still waiting for my plastic to arrive any day now, but this will be one of the first things i wanna try (if only for the laugh)

It only gets them to the middle of the board at best in standard deployment. You can get a 3rd model there if you really wanted with his bonus action.

It can certainly help get a strong presence in the middle of the board, but you are spending over half your stones on those models, so you should expect a lot from them. In my experience, if the Opponent has several models in a bubble near the centre of the board on the first turn, it is because they want to be in a brawl there, and so can probably deal with Kiya and the Emissary.  And if they are in a bubble there, you are roughly transfering AP, as the 2 AP the tidecaller spent has only really saved an AP from both the Emissary and Kiya. (who typically could have got to the same place with 1 attack on their turn with Walk, charge, so being in place with 2 attacks is only an attack better in terms of AP. It can have other advantages getting there earlier). 

Go ahead and try it, it can be good but I don't see it as amazing unless the enemy doesn't expect it, and that's only going to work once... (well once per opponent). 

1 hour ago, Adran said:

It only gets them to the middle of the board at best in standard deployment. You can get a 3rd model there if you really wanted with his bonus action.

It can certainly help get a strong presence in the middle of the board, but you are spending over half your stones on those models, so you should expect a lot from them. In my experience, if the Opponent has several models in a bubble near the centre of the board on the first turn, it is because they want to be in a brawl there, and so can probably deal with Kiya and the Emissary.  And if they are in a bubble there, you are roughly transfering AP, as the 2 AP the tidecaller spent has only really saved an AP from both the Emissary and Kiya. (who typically could have got to the same place with 1 attack on their turn with Walk, charge, so being in place with 2 attacks is only an attack better in terms of AP. It can have other advantages getting there earlier). 

Go ahead and try it, it can be good but I don't see it as amazing unless the enemy doesn't expect it, and that's only going to work once... (well once per opponent). 

Sure, if you throw them into a tormented Crew they do not want to go there.

Question is if one could Position them so that they engage enemy models to their advantage with 2 inch Range thereby draining  enemy AP to move/disengage before attack, or at least make the opponent alter his Game Plan which would tip the AP advantage more in my favour at that Point

Also yeah this may work only once, but after the first time, your opponent will expect it and adapt his Positioning, which actually may be an advantage for me.

Biggest Concern would be getting torn apart before the rest of the Crew gets a move on and the 8 SS Tidecaller not doing anything meaningful after that until turn 3. But, many things have to wait until the field test, still not sure how bubbly i will have to play EVS to be effective