Who is 'responsible' for the damage from Wanga Mojo Curse?

Maniacal_cackle

Question

The Curse makes a model gain a Linked Fate ability:

image.png.8334d74a445d1b142388fe9661b4d5dd.png

So... If a model (let's say Dead Rider) has a Wanga Mojo Curse on it, and someone does damage to the Voodoo Doll... Who has damaged the Dead Rider?

Normally I assume that the model with the text causing the damage is responsible for the damage... So in this case, I would have assumed that the Dead Rider is damaging itself... But that creates some wonky areas in the rules:

• Take Prisoner for example: if any model damages the voodoo doll enough to kill the Dead Rider, it would count as killing itself?

So what's the thinking here? Does the damage 'chain' through the abilities so that the model attacking the voodoo doll counts as doing the damage? Could Bad Juju attack the voodoo doll to score Vendetta on the Dead Rider?

7 answers to this question

The damage is coming from the ability, which is enhanced to the model by the upgrade. So in the case of Take Prisoner, the Dead Rider was killed by itself, which would give the 2nd VP to the opponent. Likewise Bad Juju could not score Vendetta since it did not damage the Dead Rider at all during its activation.

It is a separated damage from the original damage, they have different source, different value and different nature(irreducible or not).

10 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Fair enough interpretations!

Is there any rules/FAQ basis for this, or is it just the usual convention of 'damage doesn't chain'?

Killed models are killed by the model that generated the Action or Ability that killed them (p. 25 digital). When Wanga Mojo is attached Linked Fate becomes Ability of the model it was attached to.

2 minutes ago, Scoffer said:

Killed models are killed by the model that generated the Action or Ability that killed them (p. 25 digital). When Wanga Mojo is attached Linked Fate becomes Ability of the model it was attached to.

That sentence is a bit difficult ("killed models are killed by the thing that killed them" is tautological), and also still leaves some ambiguity (the action OR ability - in this case they're being killed by both an action and an ability working in tandem).

Certainly the intent of that appears to be to cover things like:

• If you're attacked and die from the attack, the attack killed you (killed by an action).
  • If you activate in a life leech aura and die, the life leech aura killed you (killed by an ability).

But this (and the corpse candle case) are examples of an action and an ability working in tandem to kill a model. That doesn't seem as clearly defined to me.

11 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

But this (and the corpse candle case) are examples of an action and an ability working in tandem to kill a model. That doesn't seem as clearly defined to me.

There is no such thing as "tandem damaging" in malifaux. Model can be damaged by actions, abilities, conditions, hazardous terrain and falling. Each source of damage is resolved separately and is identifiable no matter how complicated the situation seems to be. 

When Voodoo Doll hits Nekima with Wango Mojo Curse attached and suffers damage from Black Blood, Nekima can't say "it's Black Blood and Linked Fate working in tandem, and I'm immune to Black Blood damage" to ignore damage from Linked Fate.

When Sparks has Wango Mojo Curse attached and Voodoo Doll suffers damage from a blast, Sparks can't say "it's blast and Linked Fate working in tandem, and I'm immune to blast damage" to ignore damage from Linked Fate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scoffer said:

When Voodoo Doll hits Nekima with Wango Mojo Curse attached and suffers damage from Black Blood, Nekima can't say "it's Black Blood and Linked Fate working in tandem, and I'm immune to Black Blood damage" to ignore damage from Linked Fate.

That's an especially good example, and from memory other things fall apart as well xD

Fair enough, all makes sense.