Does anyone skip hiring Ikiryo when taking Kirai into Recover Evidence?

Maniacal_cackle

I'm considering trying to learn Kirai for next month's tournament so I can use her for the Recover Evidence round.

Just wondering how people tackle her on that strategy. In particular, do people ever skip hiring Ikiryo so she can be summoned without an intel token? I imagine she is pretty weak as a re-usable missile when the opponent gets a point for it the first time you send her in to die.

I'm pretty new to the game, so take this with a grain of salt, but as a primary Kirai player, I find the double Ikiryo activation (if she dies and is resummoned) so powerful that it's worth her being an obvious choice for an evidence token. Typically in Recover Evidence I have so much board control with summons that I can tie up whatever is near the strategy marker Ikiryo drops and keep them from picking it up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brightfire said:

I'm pretty new to the game, so take this with a grain of salt, but as a primary Kirai player, I find the double Ikiryo activation (if she dies and is resummoned) so powerful that it's worth her being an obvious choice for an evidence token. Typically in Recover Evidence I have so much board control with summons that I can tie up whatever is near the strategy marker Ikiryo drops and keep them from picking it up.

Do you usually missile her turn one, then?

As you can still do this turn two onwards (assuming cards).

I heard or read this tactic somewhere:

When ikiryo has a token you can take her down to 1 wound yourself and she drops the strat marker on your half of the table, and then you throw her in the enemy lines 2 times. It's not as effective but you saved one strat marker, at least for now and the enemy has to move to your side and pick it up...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Do you usually missile her turn one, then?

As you can still do this turn two onwards (assuming cards).

I do, typically. Especially if the board has something big to hide behind on my way up the field, I'll tend to use the first few activations on Guide Spirit from Seishin and/or Datsue Ba to get Ikiryo up the board toward whatever the tastiest target with an evidence marker may be, typing up as many models in engagement as possible. She's enough of a pain for most crews to deal with, having Terrifying, Incorporeal and Vengeance, that she can just sit there taking up space while your opponent spends resources killing her or getting around her.

• Like 1

Hi! i'm a main kirai player and i've only played few recover evidence games so probably not gonna be a good advice, so take my strategy with a grain of salt.

1. i don't care about the marker on ikiryo since no matter what i do, both of us will eventually get the marker anyway. so I am letting them to drop ikiryo marker (but it's a different matter if they get interact with it)
2. like someone said above, 2 activation and ikiryo missile is very powerful (and a DISTRACTION). a big 50mm that deal 2/3/4 irreducible damage? they need to deal with it no matter what. if they don't kill it, she's having fun dealing damage on the other side (with my other crew catching up). or if they kill it, then i can summon another ikiryo + goryo almost in front of their face (kirai move, then summon a model WITHIN 6" not wholly within. with that 50 mm base, it adds up almost an extra 2").
3. seishins and datsue ba moves everyone. i usually bring 2-3 seishins and datsue ba in the game. even with ikiryo just getting a boost twice, that's an extra 12 inches. then the rest of them can be used for the rest of the crew to catch up.
4. for all my game about recover evidence. yes, i drop most of my markers. but because my ghosts keep them in combat, they can't pick it up (so this can be useless against crew that can interact in engagement).

so my key mindset in this game, I think dropping markers is very acceptable. no matter how you strategized about it, both of us will kill everyone with the marker anyway. it's just the matter of who, where, and when.

• Like 1

The positive thing about Recover Evidence is that it forces opponent to actually kill Ikiryo :) And that's what Kirai want him to do. The most terrible thing that could happen with Ikiryo is being ignored by opponent. And a good opponent will do it right that way - give Slow/Staggered, leave some cheap crap in engagement and that's it. With Recover Evidence even good opponent will kill her just because VP matters. And here comes the second Ikiryo :)

• Like 2