Diceman87 Introduces - Video Battle Reports

James Dyson

Greetings Wyrdos!

For those who may not know, for a good chunk of early 3E I was recording my games and posting them in a thread (buried somewhere in this subforum) in an effort to get better at the game.  I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to moving cross country, and other life stuff.  But I'm back in the battle report game, and this time - in video format!  I'll be posting links to the games here as I get them up.  

Like before, I welcome constructive feedback - both from a gameplay and a production perspective.  

My first video (featuring the scholar and gentleman himself, @Kharnage ) can be found here:  

• Like 4

In the spirit of trying to improve, I'm embarking on a deep dive into a keyword I barely know - Qi and Gong!

I've uploaded the first of a new series I'm calling 'Unlocking the Keyword', and this first episode goes over my initial impressions and expectations.  Please consider giving it a view and let me know what you think in the comments.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, Diceman87 said:

Today, I had my first game of the Fauxvember event.  Check it out here:

Fun watch, please keep making more!

I'm not sure I agree with how you guys resolved Candy's Self-Loathing attack against the Nothing Beast at the end.  Since Self-Loathing gains the effect of the selected attack action, the "enemy" and "friendly" text should have been resolved from Candy's point of view, in my opinion.

@LeperColony glad you're enjoying them!  

I'll have to check the video regarding Candy's attack - do you mean the discussion about stutter time or Oblivion?

Edit:  So, rewatching the relevant part, I'm pretty sure we resolved it correctly.  The only thing would be that we aught to have declared the attack before flipping Self Loathing (since selecting the attack is a cost).  But by my read, it would've given him Fast since he was an enemy model to Candy.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:44 AM, Diceman87 said:

In the spirit of trying to improve, I'm embarking on a deep dive into a keyword I barely know - Qi and Gong!

I've uploaded the first of a new series I'm calling 'Unlocking the Keyword', and this first episode goes over my initial impressions and expectations.  Please consider giving it a view and let me know what you think in the comments.

Just finished watching! I really like the concept, it's going to be interesting to see how your thoughts on the keyword evolve over time. And it helps that you've got a nice relaxing voice to listen to 😅

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Diceman87 said:

Thank you @Azahul!  I'm glad you're enjoying the channel.  I appreciate the kind words about my voice too!

In related news, Game 2 of my Unlocking The Keyword - Qi and Gong is now out.  Featuring Kaeris piloted by the very capable @Zilthas!

Do you happen to have a higher quality video you could upload?

Nevermind!  Another gripping game!

I am not familiar with Vassal. Can you show me where the Score is actually tracked? I couldn't find it anywhere on screen. Generally, I just tried watching Youko's actions to see how she impacts the game, then forward to the end to see the conclusion. But I can never find the points... I also don't have the patience to sit through 3 hours of video. :(

Regarding Game 2, just 1 thought: on Turn 1, Youko could have used Assist on the burning Kabuki to stop him from dying. Sure, he would have dropped the Intel token, but you could have gotten another turn out of him. But I do enjoy watching the early game and how Youko may impact the game, otherwise.

On that end, I am surprised to see how many stones are burned early in Youko's turn. There definitely were too few stones in Game 2.

2 hours ago, Azahul said:

It has been interesting to watch how often you cheat to guarantee Youko activates first. Do you find it that critical to damage the opponent's hand early in the turn?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, regleant said:

I am not familiar with Vassal. Can you show me where the Score is actually tracked? I couldn't find it anywhere on screen. Generally, I just tried watching Youko's actions to see how she impacts the game, then forward to the end to see the conclusion. But I can never find the points... I also don't have the patience to sit through 3 hours of video. :(

Regarding Game 2, just 1 thought: on Turn 1, Youko could have used Assist on the burning Kabuki to stop him from dying. Sure, he would have dropped the Intel token, but you could have gotten another turn out of him. But I do enjoy watching the early game and how Youko may impact the game, otherwise.

The scores were being tracked on the right, but underneath the Player 1/ Player 2 card flip areas.  I will play around with it and see if I can get it recording without blocking that - my only concern is it might be too small to see the Vassal Map then.

@Azahul - I'm not sure how critical it actually is, but it does seem crucial to me.  Youko seems strongest when she has a hand advantage over her opponent, which is before she's had to cheat her cards/ when she's had a chance to draw and force discards.  Given that her defenses are active (meaning, I need to set up Distracted on my opponents to not get punched back), she seems to want to go first and have an impact on a turn.  

@regleant - you pose a good question.  After the last few games, I feel like my assessment of Blackmail/ We Own You was a little too high.  I still have a few more games at this round, but I'm going to see what leaning into the Riddles game does for me.  That should also ease up on my stone usage, since I won't be burning them for two suits an activation.

• Like 2

Hello, everyone!  I've been a little lax in providing updates, but we have not one, not two, but THREE new videos!  Two of them are practice rounds for Round 3 of Fauxvember, where I try to figure out Hamelin.

The third is the third game of Unlocking the Keyword:  Qi and Gong.  The fourth should be up later today, and my first 'update' video should follow in a few days.  Thanks for all the support!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Plaag Zipp was a comfort pick here.  I had been testing out Hamelin, but with Lead-Lined Coat turning off the Lures (and expecting Phiona, who can take the hit) I figured Hamelin would not be able to play the 'lure in and kill' game.

Von Schill was considered, but I worried that his models would be able to catch mine and kill them given how slow Von Schill is.  Parker was another consideration, but ultimately I do not think Parker has the damage to chew through Hoffman (and I expected either Hoffman or Lady J in this pool).  

I have not played Leveticus, and did not want to go into round 3 with a master I had never played, so comfort pick it was.

I think that Zipp has decent options in Recover Evidence with Up We Go and it's push trigger to kidnap a model (which he did with Medical Automaton).  Having Piano Markers makes Research Mission more viable (which I did score a point on), and could make it very difficult to access the center point depending on deployment.  This meant it would take longer for anyone going for Leave Your Mark/ Claim Jump (which it did slow down my opponent's access to scoring those schemes). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diceman87 said:

@Plaag Zipp was a comfort pick here.  I had been testing out Hamelin, but with Lead-Lined Coat turning off the Lures (and expecting Phiona, who can take the hit) I figured Hamelin would not be able to play the 'lure in and kill' game.

Von Schill was considered, but I worried that his models would be able to catch mine and kill them given how slow Von Schill is.  Parker was another consideration, but ultimately I do not think Parker has the damage to chew through Hoffman (and I expected either Hoffman or Lady J in this pool).  

I have not played Leveticus, and did not want to go into round 3 with a master I had never played, so comfort pick it was.

I think that Zipp has decent options in Recover Evidence with Up We Go and it's push trigger to kidnap a model (which he did with Medical Automaton).  Having Piano Markers makes Research Mission more viable (which I did score a point on), and could make it very difficult to access the center point depending on deployment.  This meant it would take longer for anyone going for Leave Your Mark/ Claim Jump (which it did slow down my opponent's access to scoring those schemes). 

u need to take shill, jack or leveticus; parker and zipp have no dmg; tara is good for scheming, viks have some problems with armour and with survivability of keyword models)

Hey folks - just finished a couple games of the new Explorer's Society crews!  I tried to showcase the core crews, with a few versatile models and upgrades sprinkled where it made sense.  So far, I've got Syndicate and DUA/ Umbra up, with Cadmus uploading now.  I'm thinking I'll get one of each Explorer's keyword up (at least the new keywords) just so folks can see them in action (even if it's a first time play with them!)

Huge thanks to @Tales and @Alcathous for being my sparring partners!

Don't forget to sign up for December's Feast:  

and

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, Plaag said:

u need to take shill, jack or leveticus; parker and zipp have no dmg; tara is good for scheming, viks have some problems with armour and with survivability of keyword models)

That's fair - I'm very much a fan of Tara in general (I think her keyword is punchier than it looks), but do want to get more reps in with Jack and Leveticus.  Schill is one I may do an 'unlocking the keyword' on when I get back to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dice, Thanks for posting your games. Enjoying watching you playing Qi and Gong. Looking forward to seeing what more you do with her and any versatiles or upgrades that you might bring in. I've played a lot of her, trying to figure her out as well. Sadly, I don't have any insights that you haven't uncovered in your first four games with her, so not much help here.

I do appreciate your series though. Thanks for grabbing this by the horns :)

6 hours ago, Forgotten said:

Dice, Thanks for posting your games. Enjoying watching you playing Qi and Gong. Looking forward to seeing what more you do with her and any versatiles or upgrades that you might bring in. I've played a lot of her, trying to figure her out as well. Sadly, I don't have any insights that you haven't uncovered in your first four games with her, so not much help here.

I do appreciate your series though. Thanks for grabbing this by the horns :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it!  The release of Explorers did put a little pause on my Qi and Gong games (new shinies to try out!) but I will be getting back to her in the new year.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...