New to 3e, have question about triggers...

Anatoli

Question

Hi guys,

Started playing 3rd edition with my wife this week and we can't seem to fully understand a few details about the triggers on some abilities.

1) Actions that have stats that have a suit next to them, do they require you to have that suit on a flip to pull off the action?
For instance the rifle attack of an Freikorps scout which has a mask next to its stat? Or does this only mean that the mask is included in my pool of suits to be used as triggers at the end of the action?

2) Actions that seem to include or require two separate suits, such as the Lady Justice leap action? Can someone please explain how to trigger those?
We tried to look it up but may have been a bit too tired last night to find a proper answer.

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

1. Suit printed next to Stat is always included in your final duel total. Freicorps Scout always has a mask and the suit of flipped card. If you flip a ram, you can choose which trigger you want to declare.

2. Masters an Henchmen can use one soulstone before performing a duel to add a suit of your choice to the final duel total. So Lady J can get a mask from a stone and a ram from the card and vice versa to get the trigger.

Keep in mind that you need only the suit printed in TN column to succeed with the action. Triggers are optional effects that may need additional resources. Lady J needs a 5+ card and a mask to Leap, but if you want an extra attack you need an extra ram.

There are also different Abilities and Actions that give you an opportunity to add suits. For example Magical Influence of Wyzz-bang models or Mei Feng's Press The Advantage.

3 hours ago, Anatoli said:

Ok so then we got 1) correct.

Regarding 2), thanks for the clarification. So when there is a suit printed next to a TN then you actually need to have this on a flip or by using a soulstone, while a suit printed next to a weapon stat or the like includes the suit in the duel total?

The stat (with suits when applicable) are what is added to the card you flipped when you work out your duel total. The Final duel total (including suits) must reach or exceed the Target number to be a sucessful action (and in an opposed duel also beat the defensive final duel total).  So if the target number has a ram in it, you have to have at least 1 ram in your final duel total

9 minutes ago, Anatoli said:

Thanks to both of you! That really helps us understand things better.
I really like the 3rd edition rules, but it had been 10 years since I played 1st ed and neither me nor my wife thought it was super clear in the 3e core rules the way it was written.

Its split up a bit. The duel information is page 10 and 11 (it does talk about adding additional suits to the final duel total) 

and the suits in the Stat box adding to the final total is explained on page 22.

Perhaps a better example could have been used rather than Basse vs Pandora, to show adding the suits to the final total

Ok so then we got 1) correct.

Regarding 2), thanks for the clarification. So when there is a suit printed next to a TN then you actually need to have this on a flip or by using a soulstone, while a suit printed next to a weapon stat or the like includes the suit in the duel total?