Anya Lycarayen (Syndicate Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

When I've tried syndicate, there have been a lot of scheme markers around. Ingenuity with a hopeful prospect is pretty strong- activate and draw 2 cards. 

Democratic elections throws out a lot of area damage and healing at the same time. And the syndicate likes mass healing to pay the price of progress. 

There is some pushing in there as well, which has a use if you're going the hazardous route. 

• Like 3

That's a fair point. Ingenuity is an ability I think you could look to build lists around to get its full value, rather than build a 43 ss list and then think "I can add in Yannik".  (In magic terms I'm a Jonny, so I love to look for over complicated combinations of power, and Ingenuity looks like that sort of piece). I can see plenty of Syndicate builds where you don't want any of the box, or have parts of this box on the fence between them and something else in the hiring, in which case you may well not get a lot out of owning them. 

I played with plenty of scheme markers around, and used Corvus and the operatives to help set them up, and the riflemen help too. There are plenty of Discard a card "costs" in Explorers if you look. Ingenuity allows 1 AP (scheme marker) to pay for 2 of those costs at its basic. 

1 minute ago, Adran said:

That's a fair point. Ingenuity is an ability I think you could look to build lists around to get its full value, rather than build a 43 ss list and then think "I can add in Yannik".  (In magic terms I'm a Jonny, so I love to look for over complicated combinations of power, and Ingenuity looks like that sort of piece). I can see plenty of Syndicate builds where you don't want any of the box, or have parts of this box on the fence between them and something else in the hiring, in which case you may well not get a lot out of owning them. 

I played with plenty of scheme markers around, and used Corvus and the operatives to help set them up, and the riflemen help too. There are plenty of Discard a card "costs" in Explorers if you look. Ingenuity allows 1 AP (scheme marker) to pay for 2 of those costs at its basic. 

In Malifaux, the sweet spot for me is when you can do a package of about 20 stones as a build around.

That way, if they kill a key piece you still have most of your crew to do other stuff, but you still have a powerful engine if they don't kill it.

So that might be a good spot for Yannic as well. Even just Yannic + two hopeful prospects - that's 4 cards a turn, and then they might grow into stronger minions later if needed. And the prospects can generate their own scheme markers, so it is even a self-contained package.

6 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So that might be a good spot for Yannic as well. Even just Yannic + two hopeful prospects - that's 4 cards a turn, and then they might grow into stronger minions later if needed. And the prospects can generate their own scheme markers, so it is even a self-contained package.

Can they? Not from where I am looking. They are insignifigant. They have the upside of a decent ranged gun so they can afford to sit back as part fo an engine, but they need something to feed them the markers. (Yannic and 1 prospect can draw 3 cards, and make a focused broken down rifle shot a turn whilst building up Focus on Yannic, but you're going to need another model to power up 2 hopeful prospects. )

5 minutes ago, Adran said:

Can they? Not from where I am looking. They are insignifigant. They have the upside of a decent ranged gun so they can afford to sit back as part fo an engine, but they need something to feed them the markers. (Yannic and 1 prospect can draw 3 cards, and make a focused broken down rifle shot a turn whilst building up Focus on Yannic, but you're going to need another model to power up 2 hopeful prospects. )

Oh right, I forgot to check the card before making grandiose claims xD

But the overall point of 'there's probably a neat self-contained engine' remains. That's what I'd look for!

It may be me, but I like to play without triying to force much stuff on the enemy, killing using movement of hazardous is quite a thing with this creew, easy to set up 2damage per movement ( Geodes, schemes , and steel aura) and then obey, push, place ... it just overcome most of the defensive techs, require planing and multiple models doing theyr job. 

Also using Mr,ngaaroto increase the odd of success from action targeting my models (wich are plenty and more often than not thats 3or 4 actions that doesnt require a cheat to go thru, or a cheaper one) thru the game.

I see the value of the healing (You can even heal the enemy to place another geode or move Mikil forward) and is not a bad model by itself.

What looks interesting for me is the sniper, when the stun is a serious problem for the enemy and because  they can place a scheme as a free action (discard a card.. ouch. no more than one) making them good as lodestone holders and having like a 3rd action. 

Going back to Yannic. If you want to use focus in this crew more than I use to then is probably a good  pick. But I find most of the syndicate models have already a strong free action so the shouting orders isnt as interesting.

operative: could work, but I am not tanking this. They ignore most soft defensive tech, (WP duels, neg flips, stealth) being able to focus shot to models that depends on that is interesting
Surveior: move his pal and himself 3¨ or hazarous terrain (That I abuse a lot)
corvus: see hand and push , I may be willing to change for a focus this one
winston: Fly with me on anyone at 6¨ (even enemies)with a heal, a pulse damage and a move me too trigger... Hardly you focus instead of this.
Soverein: Flywith me,(with damage and hel pulses as triggers) only interested if I am enganged.
Anya: bleeding edge. there are little more to say. movmeent, damage, hazardous and scheming.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh right, I forgot to check the card before making grandiose claims xD

But the overall point of 'there's probably a neat self-contained engine' remains. That's what I'd look for!

Since you have to play syndicate to get Yannic into ES anyway, you could just take the 2 riflemen. 17 stones, 4 shots and 2 cards per turn is not bad at all. Although both riflemen might be a trap with no melee or tricks to get out of engagement

• Like 1

Edited to correct my horrid reading skills (although more like me assuming I was right and only reading half the sentence ;))

I do feel somewhat targeted by having two people correct me within ~20min :D  Good to see the mods are on the ball! (It was all a test, I swear!)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Raising said:

what are your thoughts about hiring corvus or mr.ngaaroto?.

I find they are competing for the same spot. and mr.ngaroto requires less setup andbits +1 to duels targeting friendly models save 2or 3 cards pergame

For me they definitely compete for similar roles if I'm hoping to use pressure now and then.  If I give up on pressure and go mid field scheme corvus is better than ngaatoro, but if I want to hang back and control people I'll take ngaatoro any day.  I think they're both interesting / worthwhile tho.

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Adran said:

(Yannic and 1 prospect can draw 3 cards, and make a focused broken down rifle shot a turn whilst building up Focus on Yannic, but you're going to need another model to power up 2 hopeful prospects. )

Care to further explain this, Adran?  I see the Prospect making you drawing 1 card at the start of their Acivation...but how does Yannic give you 2 cards?

10 minutes ago, Giovanni Canzanella said:

Care to further explain this, Adran?  I see the Prospect making you drawing 1 card at the start of their Acivation...but how does Yannic give you 2 cards?

The prospector has an ability to discard a card and draw a card. If you are in Ingenuity that becomes discard a scheme marker and draw 2 cards. 

Yannic can discard a card to gain Focus as a bonus action thanks to her shouting orders. So she can drop a scheme marker as an interact, discard it to gain focus then interact again to drop the scheme marker for the Prospect. 

Note, with the new focus change you may want to find a better way to get the second scheme marker so Yannic can use some of that Focus she generates. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, Adran said:

The prospector has an ability to discard a card and draw a card. If you are in Ingenuity that becomes discard a scheme marker and draw 2 cards. 

Yannic can discard a card to gain Focus as a bonus action thanks to her shouting orders. So she can drop a scheme marker as an interact, discard it to gain focus then interact again to drop the scheme marker for the Prospect. 

Note, with the new focus change you may want to find a better way to get the second scheme marker so Yannic can use some of that Focus she generates. 

Thank you, I see now. Even though that seems like a lot of effort and that will keep her a little too much behind your lines maybe? But I'm going to give that a try.

Talking about Anya though...I noticed that the no online store I know have the box in stock yet (same things for the Intrepid Fate box). Does anyone managed to get hands on a box?

3 minutes ago, Giovanni Canzanella said:

Thank you, I see now. Even though that seems like a lot of effort and that will keep her a little too much behind your lines maybe? But I'm going to give that a try.

It depends how much you want cards, which depends a little on what you want and how you play (and the table/strategy) . I probably think a pack of Prospect, Yannic and Rifleman may be the best set up for card draw for cost and action. They get 4 cards, and Yannic and the riflemen each get 1 action and have ranged weapons (the prospect gets 2 actions and has a gun). 

4 extra cards is good, but you have spent a lot on it, so you need to make sure the rest of your crew can use those cards to make up for what you have spent. 

If you want to build an extreme list with it, and look to using the Emmissary, and EVS as cards with discard effects (Especially good as they are effects than can be used in the opponents turn) and then you just need to work out how to produce enough scheme markers to fund all these effects...