Anya Lycarayen (Syndicate Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

1 minute ago, Jinn said:

Really? I could have sworn there was an FAQ. I must be going crazy.

That is weird though, how does that even work? I'd think if you couldn't block LoS by standing on it then you couldn't block it by standing slightly off of it as in both cases the same effective sightlines apply. It shouldn't be a balance issue as 40mm models exist. Seems weird. Still, as Maniacal_cackle said, a 30mm blocking LoS to a 30mm is definitely used as an example in the rules.

It actually makes perfect geometry sense.

lines from the first base do not pass the middle base to reach the third base, so a model can block line of sight. But when the two bases are completly superimposed, the lines hit both bases at the same time, so one does not block them reaching the other. 

If you stand slightly off the base then you can block line of sight to it alone a single axis, but you can't block line of sight all round (unless you have a bigger base). 

10 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Really? I could have sworn there was an FAQ. I must be going crazy.

That is weird though, how does that even work? I'd think if you couldn't block LoS by standing on it then you couldn't block it by standing slightly off of it as in both cases the same effective sightlines apply. It shouldn't be a balance issue as 40mm models exist. Seems weird. Still, as Maniacal_cackle said, a 30mm blocking LoS to a 30mm is definitely used as an example in the rules.

The way it was explained to me...

If you're standing on top of a 30mm marker, when they draw LOS, the lines hit the base of both the marker and the model. However, as soon as the model is a bit further forward than the marker, the LOS line stops as soon as it hits the model and never reaches the marker.

I was coming here to ask why the keyword only has 6 models in it and only 3 are single-keyword, glad to hear there's more coming!  Do we have any idea when we might find out what their cards are like?

Also, I love Anya's style.  When I opened up her card and I saw the feathers and the tomahawk I was like "oh nooo" but the more I look at it the more I love the art.  Very stylish mixing the feathers, buttoned up suit, and the puffy scarf, very "I'm the boss" look, it's great.

3 hours ago, retnab said:

I was coming here to ask why the keyword only has 6 models in it and only 3 are single-keyword, glad to hear there's more coming!  Do we have any idea when we might find out what their cards are like?

All we know is 2 guys with most likely sniper rifles, 1 guy with a shotgun, and 1 guy who punches.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

There will be I believe, but I don't know that they will all share a keyword with ES.

I could see how the neverborn box could have some Cadmus keyword, as it was created by Titania after all.
Or how the resurectionist box could have Seeker models. But here, Seeker already has 3 minions & a bunch of enforcers, so I don't think they need it. So I wouldn't be surprised if the ressers starter box don't have the seeker keyword, but have another keyword or no keyword at all.

3 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Will there be such a Starter Box for every faction?! Commom logic would agree, I guess. 

I believe that Explorers, Outcast and Bayou have been announced. Explorers doesn't seem to have a common theme to it, Outcast is the Syndicate box and Bayou is the optional model upgrade for Bayou Bash (but beyond that we don't know anything about its rules). 

So I guess the answer is there will probably be a box for each faction, but the only common thread we can say at the moment is that it contains 4 models that contain the Versatile trait.  

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

While it requires a little bit of setup (assuming I've got all the rules right), Anya appears to be a pretty awesome bubblebuster.

Anya + Calypso.

Get a scheme marker or two down in the area you want to affect, late in the turn (Winston or Austera), then run Anya in Calypso into the middle as the last thing you do, getting as many enemy into a 3" bubble around Calypso (almost 7" across).

Use any remaining activations for the below, but work to win Initiative the next turn, and get this off three, if not five times (though for Calypso you need the 7+ tome in hand).

Anya uses Control Console to use Calypso's Thriller Driller, using Price of Progress to hit the Mass Of Tentacles trigger.

Move everyone a fraction of an inch, taking one for MoT, one for Expansionist. Repeat. And again.

6 single points of damage to everything in a 7" bubble, more if you use Pit Markers (Vatagi), or other Hazardous terrain (Surveyors?), and they're allowed to stack.

Also, the idea of Anya making a robot force everyone to do an ouchy hokey pokey is hilarious. 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, Adran said:

I believe that Explorers, Outcast and Bayou have been announced. Explorers doesn't seem to have a common theme to it, Outcast is the Syndicate box and Bayou is the optional model upgrade for Bayou Bash (but beyond that we don't know anything about its rules). 

So I guess the answer is there will probably be a box for each faction, but the only common thread we can say at the moment is that it contains 4 models that contain the Versatile trait.  

Explorers starter has a loose theme. Mr. Ngaatoro is Gretchen's bodyguard/second/enforcer, a society man through and through. Tanenbaum is a society cartographer, he is assigned to Jedza right now, but a society guy primarily. And the Hopeful Prospects are just that. The other non-construct models, Jessie, Vernon/Welles and Botanists, who are also versatile are also direct society members loyal to the society over any master. Which is only vaguely a theme, but I kind of like how the versatiles all make sense to be versatile, as they'd hop from master to master as ordered by the society.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

While it requires a little bit of setup (assuming I've got all the rules right), Anya appears to be a pretty awesome bubblebuster.

Anya + Calypso.

Get a scheme marker or two down in the area you want to affect, late in the turn (Winston or Austera), then run Anya in Calypso into the middle as the last thing you do, getting as many enemy into a 3" bubble around Calypso (almost 7" across).

Use any remaining activations for the below, but work to win Initiative the next turn, and get this off three, if not five times (though for Calypso you need the 7+ tome in hand).

Anya uses Control Console to use Calypso's Thriller Driller, using Price of Progress to hit the Mass Of Tentacles trigger.

Move everyone a fraction of an inch, taking one for MoT, one for Expansionist. Repeat. And again.

6 single points of damage to everything in a 7" bubble, more if you use Pit Markers (Vatagi), or other Hazardous terrain (Surveyors?), and they're allowed to stack.

Also, the idea of Anya making a robot force everyone to do an ouchy hokey pokey is hilarious. 

I hate to do this but someone needs to say it.

1.) Control Console allows Calypso taking action during Anya's activation, and Anya can only declare Price of Progress when she is the one who takes the action. So Anya cannot use Price of Progress on Calypso's action to add suit.

2.) Other friendly models can draw LoS and range to Anya through Calypso while piloting, Anya however cannot draw LoS and range through Calypso. That means no Hazardous scheme marker from Expansionist.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Peturd said:

Explorers starter has a loose theme. Mr. Ngaatoro is Gretchen's bodyguard/second/enforcer, a society man through and through. Tanenbaum is a society cartographer, he is assigned to Jedza right now, but a society guy primarily. And the Hopeful Prospects are just that. The other non-construct models, Jessie, Vernon/Welles and Botanists, who are also versatile are also direct society members loyal to the society over any master. Which is only vaguely a theme, but I kind of like how the versatiles all make sense to be versatile, as they'd hop from master to master as ordered by the society.

I agree that the versatile models all seem to make sense as versatile.

Still not sure I see what theme you are trying to suggest is there, the best I can guess from what you say is that they are Explorer society members, which sounds like a default in the expectation of an explorers society starter.  I haven't read the Innocence books in TTB, which is where I guess a lot of the Tannenbaum background comes from, but from my reading of Mr. Hgaatoro I wouldn't describe him as a society man, but rather Gretchen's man through and through. I think he would happily destroy the society if asked to do so by Gretchen. The hopeful prospects are typical rank and file that you would have thought everyone should get access to. Although, that said I would have though things like the guild guard patrols ought to be versatile. 

( I could have seen putting the bellhop in with Ngaatoro and the prospects as sort of a theme of a new expedition, but its still a loose fluff based theme I'd be self attaching)

2 minutes ago, HomelessOne said:

Discussion topic: Corvis in Syndicate? Anecdotally he's proving popular over in DUA, but that's partly due to how he synergizes with Gibson and Eva in being really annoying. Do you still feel as good about him running in Anya's fairly self-sufficient keyword?

Depends on what you're going for.  If you're looking to pressure people, he's better in DUA with all the shadows.  Same if you want obeys / psueto obeys ngaatoro is more versatile with bully.  But if you want to run him mid field along with Winston to lay some scheme markers and drain your opponents hand he has his place.  For me it's really pool dependent on whether I bring him with Anya.

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Nexus has an attack to discard OE gain a parasite, so Corwin may fit in over with that crew.

I have been thinking about this. Between Nexus forcing you to discard for parasites, Corvis forcing you to discard to be on straights and execute, I think he could be a fun pick here.

I played the following Anya list in a Symbols game the other day.

Anya
Sovereign

Corvis
Winston
Emissary
Austera and Twigge
The Damned
6SS Cache

There is so much ping dmg in this crew between all the small healing bursts, shockwaves and Anya's shenanigans. Your opponent can barely cheat against your myriad of stat6 and 7 attacks as Corvis will always come in and ping his executes. Sovereign's shockwave can also force a lot of cards out of your opponent's hand.

• Like 2

I have a question . It is more about general rules but I put it here anyway. 

Anya make friendly scheme markers in LoS Hazardous for the enemies. So they became Terrain Markers , right? The rules say : "if an Hazardous terrain marker is moved , all models who came in contact with it during the move, suffer the effect of the terrain marker". When Anya drops a marker with the bonus or even the other ability (not the first part where it moves where it obviously works , i mean where the new one is dropped) does it count as moved? I would say no of course . Same for the Geode Marker dropped by the other guys. 

Bonus question : a model can't suffer the Hazardous trait more than once per action . They mean from the same Hazardous terrain? If it moves through 2 schemes...