Representations of Women in Malifaux

wookiejunior

42 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Thing worth noting of course is that I think Wyrd do well the majority of the time:

Molly, Kirai, Reva, Shieldbearers, Philip and the Nanny, etc.

And I think the same is true for many other factions. For every Kaeris, there is a Rasputina or Toni that is done pretty tastefully.

So I think the question for Wyrd is more of "how do they lift their standards a bit" than "how do we fix everything."

More women on the design team would possibly help, but for all I know their design team might already be largely women xD

EDIT: although that article is pretty disappointing.

Molly - Harley Quinn rip-off who was killed and sexualy abused by Joker the Ripper? And whose theme is "Take Back the Night"? And who is finally going full Harley lately in the flavor text? Yeah, totally not sexualized. 

Kirai - an ex-prostitute, who was ready to use her sexuality to charm Nicodem into teaching her? And who is a cold-blooded vengeance-driven machine? Yeah, totally not sexualized.

Kaeris - nothing sexuality-related in her backstory or actions, just wearing a magic harness and a tanktop. She's a fire mage, so I doubt it's that impractical to not wear too much flamable and warm clothes. 

6 minutes ago, Ming said:

Molly - Harley Quinn rip-off who was killed and sexualy abused by Joker the Ripper? And whose theme is "Take Back the Night"? And who is finally going full Harley lately in the flavor text? Yeah, totally not sexualized. 

Kirai - an ex-prostitute, who was ready to use her sexuality to charm Nicodem into teaching her? And who is a cold-blooded vengeance-driven machine? Yeah, totally not sexualized.

Kaeris - nothing sexuality-related in her backstory or actions, just wearing a magic harness and a tanktop. She's a fire mage, so I doubt it's that impractical to not wear too much flamable and warm clothes. 

I was referring specifically to the sculpts, since that is largely what the thread is about. I have plenty to say on those other topics (and have in other threads xD)

Kaeris is wearing body armor that barely covers her up. For practical gear for dealing with fire, she should be wearing something fire resistant (like a leather apron properly treated), not having bare skin.

EDIT: for reference, here are some high-heat work environments and examples of what the clothing might look like:

images (35).jpeg

images (36).jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I was referring specifically to the sculpts, since that is largely what the thread is about. I have plenty to say on those other topics (and have in other threads xD)

Kaeris is wearing body armor that barely covers her up. For practical gear for dealing with fire, she should be wearing something fire resistant (like a leather apron properly treated), not having bare skin.

EDIT: for reference, here are some high-heat work environments and examples of what the clothing might look like:

images (35).jpeg

images (36).jpeg

Yes, that's why we have muggle Drache Trooper wearing protection, but not the flying fire mage. Could you please show me what real-life fire mages wear for protection?

Yet again, you can consider any sculpt sexualized or not. If you check what was culturally appropriate to look like in the real-life Victorian-Edwardian era, you will know, that even some of the most fully-clad Malifaux models would be considered inappropriate. There probably wouldn't be any female characters in the game at all. A female government official? A female guardsman? Scandalous! It's a fantasy game where women of early 20th century actually have equal rights. And on the other part some real-life laws regarding equalization were postponed. E.g. the law that Guild bribed Toni with to get Ramos was issued decades earlier in real life USA.

If anyone is so sexually unsatisfied or obsessed that they may be dangerously aroused by an antropomorphic chess piece (which will often won't even look that good due to bad sculpting, assembling or painting) and try sexually harass other people in public - take them to the doctor, they need to check. However also check the model - maybe it is a real masterpiece of sculpting and painting and the authors deserve your applauds. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Ming said:

Yes, that's why we have muggle Drache Trooper wearing protection, but not the flying fire mage. Could you please show me what real-life fire mages wear for protection?

Well, you were the first one to bring up she dresses that way for fire protection, I just pointed out that was not a realistic way to dress for fire protection.

2 hours ago, Ming said:

Yet again, you can consider any sculpt sexualized or not.

That argument sort of just shuts down conversation though, as you could make that argument about literally anything.

For Kaeris, her armor fits one of the most commonly criticised tropes about female fantasy armor. That type of armor would not be helpful at all in battle, and seems completely out of place on a model like Kaeris (as opposed to say Myranda where you can say there is a bit more of an argument for the way she dresses).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wookiejunior said:

Topless with an athletic physique isn't the same as sexualised for men, and should not be treated as equal.

You sure about that, because that's literally what the guys look like on romance novel covers. The genre of books that is marketed almost exclusively towards women, putting sexualized men on the cover to try to appeal to them. 

5 hours ago, wookiejunior said:

Except it isn't just the cleavage. It's the ridiculous body proportions designed to appeal to men. The model looks like it's based off a pin-up girl. 

Again, witch Pandora doesn't have ridiculous body proportions. The only way I can see that someone would think that is if they thought her hips and butt extended to fill the entirety of her skirt instead of realizing the skirt is just shaped like that.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Again, witch Pandora doesn't have ridiculous body proportions. The only way I can see that someone would think that is if they thought her hips and butt extended to fill the entirety of her skirt instead of realizing the skirt is just shaped like that.

I don't know, there's not that many woman I know of that fit these kinds of proportions:

Witches and Woes Rotten Harvest - Pandora LTD Malifaux M3E | Gadzooks Gaming

It's like she is based off old-school barbie xD

Not to mention the pose, of course!