Climbing gear (ES ability) and LOS

Maniacal_cackle

Question

Does climbing gear actually 'work?' From the new ES model, photo attached.

Friendly models within the aura ignore terrain and models while moving.

However, models and some terrain block LOS (turning off the aura).

For the simplest example, if a 30mm model tries to walk through a 50mm model, once it is inside the model it doesn't have LOS and loses access to the aura. So you can't actually do the move?

Doesn't seem intended.

Screenshot_20201028-122740.thumb.jpg.851b991061ea905d0ab126d7679bee80.jpg

16 answers to this question

If they didn't want positioning of the goat to be important, they could have just written "within 4"" instead of using an aura.  🤷‍♀️

Hell, remember that from the FAQ "ignoring other models" won't allow you to leave engagement range, either.

I mean, yeah, I'm reading the other thread where people are being all "my Christmas pudding is ruined" thinking about all of the limitations, but it's a 5SS model.  It's not going to give out Incorporeal to the entire crew.  

• Agree 1

Just now, solkan said:

If they didn't want positioning of the goat to be important, they could have just written "within 4"" instead of using an aura.  🤷‍♀️

Hell, remember that from the FAQ "ignoring other models" won't allow you to leave engagement range, either.

I mean, yeah, I'm reading the other thread where people are being all "my Christmas pudding is ruined" thinking about all of the limitations, but it's a 5SS model.  It's not going to give out Incorporeal to the entire crew, across an entire faction.

9 minutes ago, solkan said:

I mean, yeah, I'm reading the other thread where people are being all "my Christmas pudding is ruined" thinking about all of the limitations, but it's a 5SS model.  It's not going to give out Incorporeal to the entire crew.  

Well, it isn't so much about an ability being ruined so much as being very confusing.

It says you can move through models, except you can't have a 30mm model move through a 50mm one?

Seems bizarre and unintuitive (and I'd be a bit surprised to find out the playtesters played it that way).

• Agree 1

You don't always have to go through center mass of the 50mm base; just cutting the edge just enough to get past them and still be visible works.  I don't know why people are freaking out so much.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Well, it isn't so much about an ability being ruined so much as being very confusing.

It says you can move through models, except you can't have a 30mm model move through a 50mm one?

Seems bizarre and unintuitive (and I'd be a bit surprised to find out the playtesters played it that way).

Well you cant move through the center of a larger model, but you could certainly move through the model off-center

I agree power level wise it is preferable, just seems odd.

Like if there is a height two fence, you have to take a falling damage when you would think you could just walk through it. Unless you're a size 3 model (so Emissary can walk through it, but a regular model can't).

I just imagine the ability will be misplayed so much xD

22 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Like if there is a height two fence, you have to take a falling damage when you would think you could just walk through it. Unless you're a size 3 model (so Emissary can walk through it, but a regular model can't).

But I don't think you do have to take falling damage, assuming it's climbable. You climb down for free, and its not until you are at ground level that you are out of sight of the aura. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Adran said:

But I don't think you do have to take falling damage, assuming it's climbable. You climb down for free, and its not until you are at ground level that you are out of sight of the aura. 

Oh, interesting point!

So it is just that a size two can't charge through the fence, but a size three can?

6 hours ago, Ogid said:

About this one. How does "ignoring vertical distance" and pushes interact? With that wording I'm not sure if this ability would let a model charge into the top of a building or not...

I assume it works to charge on top of a building.

But can't charge through one unless you can see over it.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I assume it works to charge on top of a building.

But can't charge through one unless you can see over it.

The alpanist itself can though.

Climbing gear applying to all movement makes it like much better "Flight" for the alpinist itself.

Funny I think it will apply to movement caused by oponents as it isn't a "may" option, so crews pushing your models round can benefit from it :D
Maybe that counters the fact its SOOOO much better than flight.

I'd originally read it thinking it would effect moves that started in the aura, but I guess it does just act as a sort of anti terrain (etc) area

• Agree 1