RCT 13: Resser errata.

Maniacal_cackle

NOTE: This thread is now out of date.

For this community thread, I thought we'd talk about something controversial - errata needed for Resser models! As always, this is open to new and experienced players alike. We all have something to contribute.

So what models/keywords do people think need to be errata-ed (or entirely reworked)? It is likely that playtesting is already underway for this stuff, but could be good to have some discussion going to help feed playtesters anyway.

Some points to keep in mind in the discussion:

• It can be useful to state how much experience you have playing with/against a crew.
  • Try to give reasons why you think a model needs a buff/nerf/change.
  • If you have an idea what the change should be, try to explain why it would be a good change.
  • If you just have a general feeling that something needs to change, that's worth sharing too!

And of course, since people always have strong opinions about this sort of topic, be kind to each other!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy, do I have lots of opinions!

Revenant/Reva:

I have a decent amount of experience with this crew (20-30 games?).

Lampads

A lot of people just want to see some stat 6's slapped onto their attacks. Personally I'd like to see the target number removed from their bonus action (although that has wonky implications for Sonnia's totem who shares the ability). I also wouldn't mind removing their demise ability to make room for more useful buffs. Overall, they just feel a bit lacklustre and too card-hungry.

Vincent

A lot of people want to see him buffed, but personally I think he is about in the right spot. That said, the cremation action needs to be reworked (ideally into a bonus action), so that would affect him. The Carry The Flame trigger often feels a bit useless as well, since there are already a fair few ways to get pyre markers where you need them and it is so heavily restricted.

Reva, Corpse Candles, Restless Spirit, and shieldbearers all feel like they're in the right spot. Draugr and Wanyudo I don't play enough to have much of an opinion on either way. Mourners... I'll include them with Redchapel.

Redchapel/Seamus:

I have very little experience with Seamus (~5 games with and against). But I have plenty of opinions, as I am gearing up to use him as my 'main' next.

It seems to me that the issue with Redchapel is very similar to the problem Revenant had before the changes to Reva - not enough internal synergies. Seamus however is already very strong on his own, so any changes should not increase the power of the crew *too* much.

Seamus needs three things: blocking terrain, corpse markers, and focus (or at least positives to his damage flips). His crew provides none of these things. So naturally people lean towards just taking out of keyword and versatile stuff, often having better synergy than his actual crew (the Emissary for example is probably the most 'Redchapel' model out there, mechanically). The rest of his crew is focused on willpower attacks, so that needs to be incorporated a bit more.

The crew could probably use a rework entirely, but since I'm guessing we're not doing that sort of thing, there's still some tinkering around the edges that could be done.

So...

Seamus:

Redchapel killer should give a positive to the damage flip (potentially instead of a positive to the duel). In this way, suddenly every Redchapel model acts as a 'focus' battery essentially. It would be a big incentive to take in-keyword models, although hopefully not too overpowered because the models still have to be engaging the enemy.

Potentially secret passage would need to be limited to 'once per activation' (twice with the bonus action of course). Would require playtesting.

Could even give Seamus a 'crazed killer - cannot gain the focus condition' passive ability to force him to rely on keyword models for the damage flips.

But that's where I'd start for fixing the keyword. Of course, you can't just force Seamus to rely on bad models, so you still need to buff the crew.

Copycat killer

Whatever change Redchapel Killer gets will affect this model too.

Bete Noire:

I think she is already an incredibly good scheme runner, but she isn't meant to be a scheme runner. She is meant to be a stabber. Give her the Frenzied Charge ability, or make her unbury action not count against her charge limit. As is, she is too clunky to use for charging, so you just use the charge as extra maneuverability for scheming.

Madame Sybelle:

There seems to be broad agreement that she is bad. I've no idea how to fix her, but one thing that stands out is Bump in the Night should give distracted to the enemy model (not give focused to the minion... What is a minion going to do with focus?)

Also the scarlet temptation/engagement range issue on her is a big deal and quite annoying, but I'm not sure of a clean way to fix it.

Could potentially get rid of some of these effects and give her a weakened entourage - friendly redchapel minions may push 2 inches after she completes a walk action near them. Give her a feel of leading the girls.

Oh, and she definitely needs some kind of big willpower attack. Manos should NOT synergise better with the Redchapel crew than Sybelle does. Hell, the whip should be a WP attack for maximum flavour anyway (but perhaps nerf the damage track to 2/4/5?). Perhaps also an AOE pulse to make everyone take a willpower duel or gain distracted (too strong?).

Whatever is done, she needs big changes, so lots of playtesting would be required.

Rotten Belles

Give them a bonus action! Something like "Flirtatious wink - WP attack to give a distract", maybe with a trigger that if they have 2+ distract the Belle gets to force an interact action. Love the idea of the Belle's manipulating the city's elite. It doesn't need to be that good, just use Scarlet Temptation and give them a bonus action to use.

I kind of like how they synergise so well with Scarlet Temptation and reward moving in small packs, so would probably keep that general design.

Doxies and dandies are fine by all accounts, which leaves...

Mourners!

People joke about making them versatile so Jack Daw can take them, and honestly it kind of seems like a reasonable idea to me. There's so much ruthless tech out there, it'd be neat if Mourners were widely available to Ressers to give a bit of unique tech against it. But that's probably ridiculous and I've got a skewed idea of reasonable.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'd do is build upon the "more WP" attacks are needed idea. So I'd upgrade Feed on Grief to something with a 2/3/4 damage track, OR change Feed On Grief to irreducible damage with a 2/2/3 damage track or straight 2 irreducible damage. EDIT: This is partially just because I hate that armor reduces the grief damage... I know there's lots of things that don't make sense, but this one gets me.

Mechanically it also feels like they should generate a corpse marker somehow, or manipulate corpses in some fashion. Perhaps when they move they should move corpse markers with them (they can't let go of their grief..?) or just a dismember trigger on their melee attack. Possibly a bonus action to unearth their lost loved one (and create a corpse marker, or even a mindless zombie with a crows?) EDIT: Or even just change corpse markers into mindless zombies, so they're not generating corpses but at least reanimating their loved ones.

Might be too strong, some tinkering required.

Other stuff:

Archie

Perhaps beating a dead horse here, but replace his leap with a bonus action that pushes 4 inches with a mask trigger to take the action again. That way he moves the same distance with a mask, and at least gets a 4 inch push without the mask. And there's no reason this hulking monstrosity should ignore so much terrain anyway.

Leap is too powerful an ability to have on him consistently, so just give him a less powerful ability rather than have him smash some games and flounder others.

EDIT: Another nice thing about this is he becomes a straight-line charging behemoth, with 3 of his movements each turn being a push. Really screams 'big monstrous dumb brute.'

Kirai/Ikiryo

I don't think you should be able to double summon turn one with her out of keyword. Change Ikiryo's summon to ignore the once per activation restriction only if Kirai is the leader.

Crooligans/undergraduates.

By Your Side could be argued to be too strong. I can accept an argument to nerf it (perhaps to base contact). However, Molly is extremely dependent on Crooligans and the keyword will need buffs in other areas if the nerf is too impactful IMO.

Grave Golem:

Just give it a bonus action that doesn't involve removing all the corpses from the battlefield. Grave golem crews want to have tons of corpses! It'd be cool if it had a bonus action that was usable. Not sure what it should do, something with cool utility (perhaps combining corpse markers into mindless zombies or something silly like that).

Or potentially give its bonus action a trigger to self-bury. That would probably be TOO strong though.

Right, there you have it. My hot takes on some of the crews I've tinkered with. Looking forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh boy, do I have lots of opinions!

Revenant/Reva:

I have a decent amount of experience with this crew (20-30 games?).

Lampads

A lot of people just want to see some stat 6's slapped onto their attacks. Personally I'd like to see the target number removed from their bonus action (although that has wonky implications for Sonnia's totem who shares the ability). I also wouldn't mind removing their demise ability to make room for more useful buffs. Overall, they just feel a bit lacklustre and too card-hungry.

Vincent

A lot of people want to see him buffed, but personally I think he is about in the right spot. That said, the cremation action needs to be reworked (ideally into a bonus action), so that would affect him. The Carry The Flame trigger often feels a bit useless as well, since there are already a fair few ways to get pyre markers where you need them and it is so heavily restricted.

Reva, Corpse Candles, Restless Spirit, and shieldbearers all feel like they're in the right spot. Draugr and Wanyudo I don't play enough to have much of an opinion on either way. Mourners... I'll include them with Redchapel.

Redchapel/Seamus:

I have very little experience with Seamus (~5 games with and against). But I have plenty of opinions, as I am gearing up to use him as my 'main' next.

It seems to me that the issue with Redchapel is very similar to the problem Revenant had before the changes to Reva - not enough internal synergies. Seamus however is already very strong on his own, so any changes should not increase the power of the crew *too* much.

Seamus needs three things: blocking terrain, corpse markers, and focus (or at least positives to his damage flips). His crew provides none of these things. So naturally people lean towards just taking out of keyword and versatile stuff, often having better synergy than his actual crew (the Emissary for example is probably the most 'Redchapel' model out there, mechanically). The rest of his crew is focused on willpower attacks, so that needs to be incorporated a bit more.

The crew could probably use a rework entirely, but since I'm guessing we're not doing that sort of thing, there's still some tinkering around the edges that could be done.

So...

Seamus:

Redchapel killer should give a positive to the damage flip (potentially instead of a positive to the duel). In this way, suddenly every Redchapel model acts as a 'focus' battery essentially. It would be a big incentive to take in-keyword models, although hopefully not too overpowered because the models still have to be engaging the enemy.

Potentially secret passage would need to be limited to 'once per activation' (twice with the bonus action of course). Would require playtesting.

Could even give Seamus a 'crazed killer - cannot gain the focus condition' passive ability to force him to rely on keyword models for the damage flips.

But that's where I'd start for fixing the keyword. Of course, you can't just force Seamus to rely on bad models, so you still need to buff the crew.

Copycat killer

Whatever change Redchapel Killer gets will affect this model too.

Bete Noire:

I think she is already an incredibly good scheme runner, but she isn't meant to be a scheme runner. She is meant to be a stabber. Give her the Frenzied Charge ability, or make her unbury action not count against her charge limit. As is, she is too clunky to use for charging, so you just use the charge as extra maneuverability for scheming.

Madame Sybelle:

There seems to be broad agreement that she is bad. I've no idea how to fix her, but one thing that stands out is Bump in the Night should give distracted to the enemy model (not give focused to the minion... What is a minion going to do with focus?)

Also the scarlet temptation/engagement range issue on her is a big deal and quite annoying, but I'm not sure of a clean way to fix it.

Could potentially get rid of some of these effects and give her a weakened entourage - friendly redchapel minions may push 2 inches after she completes a walk action near them. Give her a feel of leading the girls.

Oh, and she definitely needs some kind of big willpower attack. Manos should NOT synergise better with the Redchapel crew than Sybelle does. Hell, the whip should be a WP attack for maximum flavour anyway (but perhaps nerf the damage track to 2/4/5?). Perhaps also an AOE pulse to make everyone take a willpower duel or gain distracted (too strong?).

Whatever is done, she needs big changes, so lots of playtesting would be required.

Rotten Belles

Give them a bonus action! Something like "Flirtatious wink - WP attack to give a distract", maybe with a trigger that if they have 2+ distract the Belle gets to force an interact action. Love the idea of the Belle's manipulating the city's elite. It doesn't need to be that good, just use Scarlet Temptation and give them a bonus action to use.

I kind of like how they synergise so well with Scarlet Temptation and reward moving in small packs, so would probably keep that general design.

Doxies and dandies are fine by all accounts, which leaves...

Mourners!

People joke about making them versatile so Jack Daw can take them, and honestly it kind of seems like a reasonable idea to me. There's so much ruthless tech out there, it'd be neat if Mourners were widely available to Ressers to give a bit of unique tech against it. But that's probably ridiculous and I've got a skewed idea of reasonable.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'd do is build upon the "more WP" attacks are needed idea. So I'd upgrade Feed on Grief to something with a 2/3/4 damage track, OR change Feed On Grief to irreducible damage with a 2/2/3 damage track or straight 2 irreducible damage. EDIT: This is partially just because I hate that armor reduces the grief damage... I know there's lots of things that don't make sense, but this one gets me.

Mechanically it also feels like they should generate a corpse marker somehow, or manipulate corpses in some fashion. Perhaps when they move they should move corpse markers with them (they can't let go of their grief..?) or just a dismember trigger on their melee attack. Possibly a bonus action to unearth their lost loved one (and create a corpse marker, or even a mindless zombie with a crows?) EDIT: Or even just change corpse markers into mindless zombies, so they're not generating corpses but at least reanimating their loved ones.

Might be too strong, some tinkering required.

Other stuff:

Archie

Perhaps beating a dead horse here, but replace his leap with a bonus action that pushes 4 inches with a mask trigger to take the action again. That way he moves the same distance with a mask, and at least gets a 4 inch push without the mask. And there's no reason this hulking monstrosity should ignore so much terrain anyway.

Leap is too powerful an ability to have on him consistently, so just give him a less powerful ability rather than have him smash some games and flounder others.

EDIT: Another nice thing about this is he becomes a straight-line charging behemoth, with 3 of his movements each turn being a push. Really screams 'big monstrous dumb brute.'

Kirai/Ikiryo

I don't think you should be able to double summon turn one with her out of keyword. Change Ikiryo's summon to ignore the once per activation restriction only if Kirai is the leader.

Crooligans/undergraduates.

By Your Side could be argued to be too strong. I can accept an argument to nerf it (perhaps to base contact). However, Molly is extremely dependent on Crooligans and the keyword will need buffs in other areas if the nerf is too impactful IMO.

Grave Golem:

Just give it a bonus action that doesn't involve removing all the corpses from the battlefield. Grave golem crews want to have tons of corpses! It'd be cool if it had a bonus action that was usable. Not sure what it should do, something with cool utility (perhaps combining corpse markers into mindless zombies or something silly like that).

Or potentially give its bonus action a trigger to self-bury. That would probably be TOO strong though.

Right, there you have it. My hot takes on some of the crews I've tinkered with. Looking forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts.

if seamus cannt gain focuses than he cannt deal dmg to hanchmen and while his keyword is far from enemy he cannt deal any good dmg to any model, bad plan;, madame need cost 9, 

3 minutes ago, Plaag said:

if seamus cannt gain focuses than he cannt deal dmg to hanchmen and while his keyword is far from enemy he cannt deal any good dmg to any model, bad plan;, madame need cost 9, 

This would only be when combined with the other change (Redchapel killer gives a positive to damage and possibly the duel). So the use of focus would be replaced by Redchapel Killer.

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

This would only be when combined with the other change (Redchapel killer gives a positive to damage and possibly the duel). So the use of focus would be replaced by Redchapel Killer.

bad plan because seamus and his band work separatly, seamus is very fast for his zombies 

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Archie

I like the idea of a push to replace the leap. There a lot more counterplay to it and the distance can be adjusted for balance.
I'm not sure about the "do the action again trigger", it might be a lot of movement, even in a straight line. But even if that's the case it would still be easier to counter, and to balance in further iterations.

Disagree on  Molly relying on Crooligans. Night Terrors are really good too and hitting BYS might actually give Night Terrors a chance.

That said, I'd love for Night Terrors to have an actually useful way of triggering Fading... Even if the suit to discard a card was built-in on their attack.

Otherwise, I like a lot of your suggestions.

• Like 1

I'm going to mention the things I've haven't mention so far:

• Archie

Another nerf to Archie? No please. Change his new :ToS-Fast: action to require a 3 tops or to give a :+flip to the damage also.

• Revenant: It has already been discussed in many threads, but here there are decent ideas. Collecting some:
    • Lampads are terrible. They need a rework
    • Draugr needs a buff. It could be some minor stuff staying at 7ss, or become the 8ss minion with HtK and +1Wd (or some other interesting mechanics)
    • Shieldbearers are missing 1 Wd if they're going to stay at Df 4.
    • Cremation sucks, it's the only action that creates terrain and requires to have already a marker in play (corpse). At least it should have interesting triggers or become a quick action.
    • Vincent is a tank that shoots with a terrible damage track. Too resource hungry to be competent.

• Toshiro: Needs to drop to Df 4, lose 1 Wound or go down to Terrifying 10. I don't care which one, but for 9ss henchman, he's quite tough and bring a lot of utility to the table. Another option would be increasing the damage the Ashigarus suffer up to 3.
  • Ikiryo/Kirai:
    • Ikiryo should still attach the summoning upgrade. If Kirai is the leader, the upgrade gets removed after summoning it. In this way, Ikiryo always comes with slow, Kirai can still summon twice each turn if she wants, but can only have a total of 2 summons in play if she's not the leader. We also avoid the summoning the Ikiryo missile with Fast that can do between 6 and 24 irreducible damage in a single activation (actually, it would still be possible, but it would require more setup).

Less important changes:

• Night Terrors could have a way to discard a card by themselves other than a trigger, although they're in a decent spot.
  • A fading ability on the Forgotten Marshal. Right now is just a summoning platform with an extra 2ss cost. He's not bad, but I wish he synergized more with the crew. Also, with the Whisper (almost mandatory to ensure the summon), his cost becomes the same as Toshiro, which doesn't make sense at all.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I thought they said that they'll be toning down on the errata and only doing it for essentially game-breaking stuff? Maybe I misunderstood. Hopefully I did.

Oh, maybe they did xD

7 hours ago, MajorUndead said:

I'm not sure about the "do the action again trigger", it might be a lot of movement, even in a straight line. But even if that's the case it would still be easier to counter, and to balance in further iterations.

Even doing the action twice, 8" is the same as leap (okay, technically .03 inches more). So I think it'd be needed to keep him in about the same spot.

7 hours ago, Da Git said:

Disagree on  Molly relying on Crooligans. Night Terrors are really good too and hitting BYS might actually give Night Terrors a chance.

That said, I'd love for Night Terrors to have an actually useful way of triggering Fading... Even if the suit to discard a card was built-in on their attack.

Otherwise, I like a lot of your suggestions.

Giving night terrors a way to discard would make them a lot more self sufficient, or at least giving Philip a way to make them discard so they could operate as a team.

Great points, @ShinChan. Only comment is I don't think this would be a nerf for Archie. It'd be a slight buff, as he could move the same total distance with a mask, or 4 extra inches without one.

10 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, maybe they did xD

Even doing the action twice, 8" is the same as leap (okay, technically .03 inches more). So I think it'd be needed to keep him in about the same spot.

Giving night terrors a way to discard would make them a lot more self sufficient, or at least giving Philip a way to make them discard so they could operate as a team.

Great points, @ShinChan. Only comment is I don't think this would be a nerf for Archie. It'd be a slight buff, as he could move the same total distance with a mask, or 4 extra inches without one.

Ohhh! I forgot about Phillip and the Nanny!!! They really need Df5. If the Widow Weaver can have it with Terrifying 12, P&N must have it. 

It would definitely be a nerf. First, because it's a push, so it has to be on a straight line. Second, because it does not ignore terrain. He already has to find a 6" straight line to be as mobile as before and now you want to add more limitations to the only thing that makes him competent... It's a huge nerf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

It would definitely be a nerf. First, because it's a push, so it has to be on a straight line. Second, because it does not ignore terrain. He already has to find a 6" straight line to be as mobile as before and now you want to add more limitations to the only thing that makes him competent... It's a huge nerf. 

I just think there is a middle ground between suited leap and unsuited leap (although some games unsuited leap isn't even noticeable).

Leap was clearly too powerful on him, and it is pretty unreasonable the model can ignore so much terrain.

There are a million ways to tinker it (could just give him a bonus action to have a flat 8" push, which is still quite ridiculous when you think about it). EDIT: or even an 8 inch move.

That said, the model has been changed once so I can see why they'd just want to leave him.

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I just think there is a middle ground between suited leap and unsuited leap (although some games unsuited leap isn't even noticeable).

Leap was clearly too powerful on him, and it is pretty unreasonable the model can ignore so much terrain.

There are a million ways to tinker it (could just give him a bonus action to have a flat 8" push, which is still quite ridiculous when you think about it). EDIT: or even an 8 inch move.

That said, the model has been changed once so I can see why they'd just want to leave him.

Could go for Crooked Step, that ability that was on a few models in the beta. It was something like: "At the start of this models activation it may place within 3 inches."

Half the range of a leap but it's automatic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I would disagree that unsuited leap isn't good. But partly because whilst you know you can't guarantee it, you opponent doesn't know that, and has to prepare for it. The likelyhood of a hand having the required card is high enough that you can't expect it not to be there. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

I would disagree that unsuited leap isn't good. But partly because whilst you know you can't guarantee it, you opponent doesn't know that, and has to prepare for it. The likelyhood of a hand having the required card is high enough that you can't expect it not to be there. 

I must confess I'm overly dramatic on this point, so don't think it is as interesting a topic as all the other possible errata.

On 10/28/2020 at 12:42 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Kirai/Ikiryo

Also: Currently Ikiryo makes it so that she must be successfully summoned to ignore the Once Per Turn restriction. This means you must always summon Ikiryo first to get the double summon, and screws you out of both summons if you BJ the flip. Change this to simply "the action ignores the Once Per Turn restriction if it names Ikiryo"

(Although, The Whisper makes this largely irrelevant, but I find it clunky)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Fairly new player here, 6 games or so, all with Reva (bar one). 

I just want Revenant to feel more synergistic. I get pangs of jealousy looking at other Keywords or factions, like Guard, Bayou, Augmented, where their synergy seems to leap off the page. 

I feel like I'm have to dig so deep and extract blood from stone to get Reva to feel like she's synergising with anything or anyone. 

I barely take anything from her keyword. 

I would love to see something that just made it a little easier to get a burning engine going. 

37 minutes ago, Faceface said:

Hey! Fairly new player here, 6 games or so, all with Reva (bar one). 

I just want Revenant to feel more synergistic. I get pangs of jealousy looking at other Keywords or factions, like Guard, Bayou, Augmented, where their synergy seems to leap off the page. 

I feel like I'm have to dig so deep and extract blood from stone to get Reva to feel like she's synergising with anything or anyone. 

I barely take anything from her keyword. 

I would love to see something that just made it a little easier to get a burning engine going. 

Yeah, Reva's keyword definitely needs work, almost everyone agrees.

Whatever you do, don't play Seamus next. You end up taking a lot of the same versatiles and OOK xD

On the topic of nerfs, I've come around to Dead Rider needing a nerf. You could half the range on his ultimate, and I'd still take him in over half my crews... So that's a red flag right there.

in crew synergies can take many forms in this game. Reva certainly has some with burning and shielded and healing. I almost think she has too many, in that her synergies are spread over so many things, its hard to make a crew that only based on 1 work well, which might be why you can't get a lot of sucess with burning Reva. 

she has a strong melee attack that shhe can draw line of sight and rnge from her crew (if shielded), she gets a free model each turn and her crew all gain healing from a model dying, and she can make use of burning on models for bonuses to attack and healing.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Adran said:

in crew synergies can take many forms in this game. Reva certainly has some with burning and shielded and healing. I almost think she has too many, in that her synergies are spread over so many things, its hard to make a crew that only based on 1 work well, which might be why you can't get a lot of sucess with burning Reva. 

she has a strong melee attack that shhe can draw line of sight and rnge from her crew (if shielded), she gets a free model each turn and her crew all gain healing from a model dying, and she can make use of burning on models for bonuses to attack and healing.

I think that's perhaps it - there's is a lot possible synergies in that sense, but it feels (to my novice eyes) like they all point to different models, rather than forming a group of cohesive models. 

7 minutes ago, Faceface said:

I think that's perhaps it - there's is a lot possible synergies in that sense, but it feels (to my novice eyes) like they all point to different models, rather than forming a group of cohesive models. 

That's pretty much it!

Personally I focus on the corpse theme, so all my advice is from that perspective.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That's pretty much it!

Personally I focus on the corpse theme, so all my advice is from that perspective.

Yes! I think it was one of your posts that set me on that theme. Recently had a brilliant time lobbing zombies/corpse candles with Grave Golem/Archie and blowing them up with Anna 😆

• Haha 1