Melissa KORE

Higgybeans

3 does seem excessive. I have 2 hunter, 1 guardian and ideally I'd like there to be a box with a single guardian if I ever need to take 2, and have never had an issue of wanting to run 3 hunters. And I'm not too bothered about new Hoffman sculpt, so yeah. Only MK for me, which btw does look awesome!

I have some feeling about the way Wyrd packaging their crew box too. If I am buying a new master I would buy all boxes so it is not bothering me at all. But I hate to tell the new players after every demo game that they had limited option because they were playing on the single box, and they need to buy another box or two to have a more precise feeling of that master.

I more prefer the style of Nekima box, the master with the totem and the henchman, then have a copy of 3 different minions within the keyword. Using Hoffman as an example, it would be 1 Guardian, 1 Hunter and 1 Watcher. With this a new player who just bought the crew box can have deeper understanding of the play style of Hoffman crew. And after he decided to dig into, he could then buy the other box that includes the rest of the minions. Which not changing the number of boxes while being more new player friendly.

Though I don’t think we will see any change in 3E, so maybe we can hope on the 4E.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Rufess said:

I have some feeling about the way Wyrd packaging their crew box too. If I am buying a new master I would buy all boxes so it is not bothering me at all. But I hate to tell the new players after every demo game that they had limited option because they were playing on the single box, and they need to buy another box or two to have a more precise feeling of that master.

I more prefer the style of Nekima box, the master with the totem and the henchman, then have a copy of 3 different minions within the keyword. Using Hoffman as an example, it would be 1 Guardian, 1 Hunter and 1 Watcher. With this a new player who just bought the crew box can have deeper understanding of the play style of Hoffman crew. And after he decided to dig into, he could then buy the other box that includes the rest of the minions. Which not changing the number of boxes while being more new player friendly.

Though I don’t think we will see any change in 3E, so maybe we can hope on the 4E.

I feel like we're up against the reality of sales, here. Wyrd needs to fund their operations, and their marketing strategy is pretty clearly an instance where you can start a casual game Starter-vs-Starter at a lower soulstone count, but for precision tech and meta options, you need to invest more broadly. I'm both a completionist and enjoy the competitive layer (and this game gives me way more bang for my buck than other things I've dabbled in, both in quality and in the playability of figures), so this doesn't bother me as much.

I like your Hoffman example, generally, but I can definitely also picture that I wouldn't buy additional minions beyond it at that point, so I don't really mind being "upsold" on starters that come with the pawns, and then deciding which bishops and rooks I want.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

3 does seem excessive. I have 2 hunter, 1 guardian and ideally I'd like there to be a box with a single guardian if I ever need to take 2, and have never had an issue of wanting to run 3 hunters. And I'm not too bothered about new Hoffman sculpt, so yeah. Only MK for me, which btw does look awesome!

I really want to find a scheme pool where it's reasonable to run 2 Guardians and Phiona and just pull friends into the loving embrace of my iron giants.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

I feel like we're up against the reality of sales, here. Wyrd needs to fund their operations, and their marketing strategy is pretty clearly an instance where you can start a casual game Starter-vs-Starter at a lower soulstone count, but for precision tech and meta options, you need to invest more broadly. I'm both a completionist and enjoy the competitive layer (and this game gives me way more bang for my buck than other things I've dabbled in, both in quality and in the playability of figures), so this doesn't bother me as much.

I like your Hoffman example, generally, but I can definitely also picture that I wouldn't buy additional minions beyond it at that point, so I don't really mind being "upsold" on starters that come with the pawns, and then deciding which bishops and rooks I want.

I've heard this argument before, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Often there is a parallel between what customers actually want and what will boost sales.

For example, I only purchased two boxes for my Reva crew. If the boxes were instead:

• Reva, Vincent, shieldbearer/Lampad/Draugr
  • Wanyudo + three minions
  • Restless spirit + two minions

I would have happily purchased all three boxes.

First Mate, another example of awkward purchases, acts as a small disincentive to purchase Zoraida. When looking for tiebreakers between picking crews, First Mate would push me towards an option other than Zoraida.

So I'm not sure if I'm representative of lots of players, but often the principle of "sell stuff your customers want" is a good one.

I suspect the real reasons for the way Wyrd package stuff are largely logistical (many M2E boxes fit the uniform minion style, so M3E boxes had to follow suit to save on transition costs).

EDIT: I suppose in this case you could even add one mourner to the Reva boxes and one mourner to the Seamus boxes, but not sure how often that'd work.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

I really want to find a scheme pool where it's reasonable to run 2 Guardians and Phiona and just pull friends into the loving embrace of my iron giants.

My favourite thing is taking Guardian with Sonnia. It lobs her up the board to make up for her 4 Mv, then stands next to her to take the hits protecting her 4 Df. It worked well for me last time!

21 hours ago, Rufess said:

I'm pretty sure that's basically what the 2e Hoffman box was. Except it had 2 hunters if I remember right. And you had to buy Ryle seperate.

• Like 1

I think Wyrd is doing 3E boxes more as if you don't own anything yet.  So for Hoffman you get the Core box, yeah you might not use x3 hunter but if they did the one of each (hunter, watcher, gaurdian) the way like they did in the past you would have to buy multiple core boxes to get the second or third of certain minions.  I think 3E has set up most masters to only need one or two boxes after the core to fill out most keywords.  I think any frustration about which models are "bundled" is more about people that own stuff from previous editions.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...