Nexus (Cadmus Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

17 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

No. You cannot force your opponent to choose your model to siphon power on.

I have a problem with this answer.
Above I'm told that it's a friendly model that chooses to take damage and that's why you can't do it on a parasited model.

When Nexus uses citizens of Malifaux centered on herself, ok no worries, it can tell itself that the parasited model is not friendly. Ok. But when she uses exoskeletal connection, Will of Cadmus or her omnipresential influence on a parasited model...
Either it's Nexus who chooses who suffers damage to Syphon Power (and it works on parasited models)
Or it is a friendly model who chooses and in this case if Nexus doesn't choose one, it is the opposite player who can say that one of his parasited miniature suffers a damage (rules of simmultaneous effect)... and thus serve for hidden martyrs, but in this case Nexus can't refuse (or then where is the point of rules?).

I'm aware it's a tricky point but it's could change things.

I agree with @Pallas4 that if the Cadmus player decides to treat the parasited enemy as friendly then that model may also choose to suffer damage. 
Parasitic Grasp says:
"During friendly Activations, Cadmus models in this Crew may treat enemy models with a Parasite as though they were friendly Cadmus models (except for Schemes and Strategies)."

And Siphon Power says:
"After this model declares an Action, a friendly model with :aura4 may suffer 1 irreducible damage."

So rules as written I would say Pallas is correct and in theory it might score Hidden Martyrs. The point of discussion is whether this would then also count as "..killed by an enemy-controlled model". As the model taking the damage is choosing to die, even though the Ability is on an enemy controlled model, I doubt that killing itself counts as being killed by that model. But that is definitively a point for discussion.

• Like 1

I think you can declare the action, go through the select a model to siphon step, and then reach a step where Nexus wants a model to be friendly, and at that time choose to treat a model as friendly. 

So there is no need for me to treat an enemy as friendly at the point siphon power is used. That doesn't stop a model being treated as friendly later on in the same action. 

9 hours ago, Pallas4 said:

Above I'm told that it's a friendly model that chooses to take damage and that's why you can't do it on a parasited model.

The Siphon Power elects a model to suffer damage. That model chooses to suffer damage or not. You can't force your opponent to choose your model to use siphon power on.

8 hours ago, cktAvatar said:

So rules as written I would say Pallas is correct and in theory it might score Hidden Martyrs. The point of discussion is whether this would then also count as "..killed by an enemy-controlled model". As the model taking the damage is choosing to die, even though the Ability is on an enemy controlled model, I doubt that killing itself counts as being killed by that model. But that is definitively a point for discussion.

There's a different reason it can't be used to score hidden martyrs, models can't choose to suffer damage that would kill themselves. A 1 health model would never be allowed to choose to suffer damage from siphon power.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, santaclaws01 said:

The Siphon Power elects a model to suffer damage. That model chooses to suffer damage or not. You can't force your opponent to choose your model to use siphon power on.

I understood.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, santaclaws01 said:

There's a different reason it can't be used to score hidden martyrs, models can't choose to suffer damage that would kill themselves. A 1 health model would never be allowed to choose to suffer damage from siphon power.

True, I forget that. thanks.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ben th3 bear said:

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how Dr Meredith's alchemical vial attack works? I don't understand it at all.

Shockwave rules are on page 31 of the rulebook, but to give a quick rundown:

Meredith first needs to pass the simple duel to see if the action succeeds. If it does, she places a 30mm marker anywhere within range and LoS. Then, since it is a Shockwave 2, you measure out 2 inches from the marker. Every model that is within the circle made will need to take the MV 13 simple duel, and if they fail will suffer the effects, which is the 2 damage and Poison +1.

3 hours ago, esqulax said:

So what are some of the uses of having enemy models being treated as friendly after the nerf? Other than Siphon Power? 

Drawing line of sight with omnipresent influence, teleportinh with exoskeleton connection and damage from soul shock-spinal tap. Also can be used to soak hazardous damage

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:12 PM, esqulax said:

So what are some of the uses of having enemy models being treated as friendly after the nerf? Other than Siphon Power? 

You also can't siphon power off a "friendly" enemy model as it's the siphoned model that chooses to accept giving the power, not the siphoning model.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had a game with Nexus1 and quite enjoyed it! Was guard the stash vs Marcus2 and we called it at the top of turn 3 when Marcus had 4 models to my 12... 

One question I have - Spell Eater's down to the last drop bonus. If I target an enemy model with a parasite token, it takes one damage from the action. Does that mean the opponent has to take the Df 12 duel or gain a parasite token from the trigger? As it says enemy models damaged, which it would have been when it was treated as the friendly Cadmus model. 

47 minutes ago, Kogan Style said:

I've just had a game with Nexus1 and quite enjoyed it! Was guard the stash vs Marcus2 and we called it at the top of turn 3 when Marcus had 4 models to my 12... 

One question I have - Spell Eater's down to the last drop bonus. If I target an enemy model with a parasite token, it takes one damage from the action. Does that mean the opponent has to take the Df 12 duel or gain a parasite token from the trigger? As it says enemy models damaged, which it would have been when it was treated as the friendly Cadmus model. 

Yes, the model is both friendly and enemy so has to take the duel for taking damage (assuming it isn't reduced to 0 somehow).

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I had a thought today of how little the core of my Nexus1 crew has changed throughout the past few years.

With all the new model releases, the Nexus1 and Archivist errata and change of GG rulesets, while I've come to value Spelleaters more in recent days, it still feels like 'the build' is very linear.

Nexus
Shambling Nest
Shambling Nest
Meredith with Flush with Cash
Archivist
Nightsilk Creeper
Spelleater/Botanist with Flush with Cash

This gives me 15ss or 16ss with which to hire a flex model, which has generally been:

• Intrepid Emissary if you fear Assassinate or suspect Meredith is going to get bodied easily.
  • An independent mobile beater like Sand Worm or The Damned.
  • More scheming prowess with extra Botanist(s).
  • More parasite pulsing and Cadmus bodies with extra Spelleater(s).

Even with such a linear build, I've typically found that Nexus has been excellent throughout most of GG3. 

I've tried Mr Ngaatoro and Cavatica though I have had very limited success with them.

Mr Ngaatoro generally has felt too slow and clunky to get value from in a crew that's already fairly slow and clunky. I think in some pools, if you bring Nightsilk Creeper and 2+ Spelleaters, Mr Ngaatoro starts to be more interesting as you have a lot of poison sources to get those Neurotoxins going. You still have to solve the issue of delivering him to the enemy crew.

To me, Cavatica is a hard pass. Outside of niche tech attached to an 8" attack that requires a specific suit, he offers nothing. He'd probably be our toughest keyword model if he had We Are Legion, but without it, he's squishier than he looks and if he's ever able to generate good value, he'll just die. 

I am curious of tinkering with more Seeker models since Healing Draughts and We Are Legion do add a lot of incremental healing which is cute with Chronicle - perhaps Austera to help set up two scheme markers for summons in the early game while her Chronicle lets you filter the fate deck. I haven't tried her in the crew yet, but maybe she's worth a look.

Anyone given her - or other Seeker models - a spin in Nexus1?