Nexus (Cadmus Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Meredith gives them guaranteed with two duels (first attack to give two poison, second attack gives two poison for four total meaning the trigger goes off).

I suspect they avoided italics specifically to make this work.

Due to her having stat of 5 (and considering trigger is not built-is) I wouldn't say it's guaranteed.

18 minutes ago, Cedar said:

Due to her having stat of 5 (and considering trigger is not built-is) I wouldn't say it's guaranteed.

Well by Jerseys request it fits what was asked for.

Its Guaranteed in the extent that if the action and trigger are meet then the parasite token happens. Unlike Nexus who leaves the final choice to the opponent, (either in card discard or fixed TN duel) (or spell eaters, Husks and eyes and ears also all simple tests to avoid). And I think that covers the 6 models that can give them out, two under your control but with lower stats, and 4 that give the opponent a chance to avoid it even after they have done the "action". 

34 minutes ago, Adran said:

Well by Jerseys request it fits what was asked for.

Its Guaranteed in the extent that if the action and trigger are meet then the parasite token happens. Unlike Nexus who leaves the final choice to the opponent, (either in card discard or fixed TN duel) (or spell eaters, Husks and eyes and ears also all simple tests to avoid). And I think that covers the 6 models that can give them out, two under your control but with lower stats, and 4 that give the opponent a chance to avoid it even after they have done the "action". 

You're right if we think about it this way. I wish we had some sort of enforcer, that has, for instance a 6" 6 stat attack that has TN of 14:crow with only effect being "target gains parasite token"...

1 minute ago, Cedar said:

You're right if we think about it this way. I wish we had some sort of enforcer, that has, for instance a 6" 6 stat attack that has TN of 14:crow with only effect being "target gains parasite token"...

I think this would be too strong.

Parasite tokens are bad for the opponent, and removing their ability to do anything about getting them isn't fun.  It can feel bad enough that my opponent brings along a little side game I have to plan around, but to then not even let me play it would be horrid. 

(I like the parasites mechanic, but I can see the side from people that don't)

8 minutes ago, Adran said:

I think this would be too strong.

Parasite tokens are bad for the opponent, and removing their ability to do anything about getting them isn't fun.  It can feel bad enough that my opponent brings along a little side game I have to plan around, but to then not even let me play it would be horrid. 

(I like the parasites mechanic, but I can see the side from people that don't)

I think you can live in one of 3 metas:

1. Parasite tokens are super rare and almost never happen;

2. Parasite tokens are nuts and models throw them around without any issue;

3. Nobody plays Nexus :P

3 hours ago, Cedar said:

Well stat 4 on the Nests are even less of a guarantee.... but we work with what we have!

2 hours ago, Cedar said:

I think you can live in one of 3 metas:

1. Parasite tokens are super rare and almost never happen;

2. Parasite tokens are nuts and models throw them around without any issue;

3. Nobody plays Nexus :P

I've not played many games with/against Cadmus but 2-3 tokens across the game seems about the norm from them, which is probably a meta somewhere between 1 and 2. 

I wouldn't worry SO much about forcing tokens on the opponent - I imagine it'll happen naturally on it's own. Nexus gets - let's say - 2 attacks per turn which will require 2 discards. Nests each get 1-2 attacks which even at Stat 4 are ~50% chance to be winning on the flip. EAE, Husks, and Spelleaters will cause some AoE simple duels. Meredith can occasionally give a token with a crow. Archivist does scary damage, and other perhaps OOK choices will put additional pressure on the opponent. It's very likely the opponent won't be able to keep up with this amount of hand pressure in addition to cheating for his own proactive actions.

Think less "I need parasite tokens on the opponent" and more "the opponent REALLY doesn't want parasite tokens." From this perspective Nests go from "ugh, Stat 4, I can't force these tokens on the opponent" to "Oh wow, four attacks between 2 Nests and the opponent is stuck having to worry about me hitting just once!"
Consider a scenario where you attack with the nest against a Df 5 model. You flip a 6, the opponent flips a 5. Currently he is losing 10-10 in the duel and has to cheat first. Does he cheat a 6? Sure that wins the duel currently, but the Nest only needs to cheat a 7+ to hit, and Nexus is still standing there ready to force 2-3 discards on your crew. Does he cheat a severe? That's a LOT of investment on some throwaway attack from half of a totem. It's a Lose-Lose. People place too much emphasis on high Stat and Low Stat attacks. Stat (almost) only really matters when trying to 100% unavoidably force things through when cheating. Over 70% of flips in any given turn will NOT be cheated.

For placing Tokens most easily, rather than giving that task to Meredith I would recommend piling on the enemy with a couple EAE/Husks and holding Nexus' activation till late in the turn - when the opponent has the fewest cards to cheat/discard.

Also, correct me if I'm mistaken but Tokens aren't THAT important on specific targets usually. The most important use for Tokens is giving your crew pseudo-Armor+1 which can be done with ANY Token'ed enemy within 4". IMO Nexus attacking through enemies is second most important, and the rest is gravy.

• Agree 3

On 2/1/2021 at 8:45 AM, Cedar said:

We already have better than this.
Meredith is a Henchman who can guarentee a Suit, and she has an 8" 5 Stat attack that doesn't have 14 TN, and the effect is Injured+1, Poison+2, and with a Crow "(If there are any friendly models within 5" of the target that have Poison+1 or greater, or if the target already has Poison+1 or greater, target gains a parasite token)"

Side note, is the "another" on Rancid Transplant's requirement referring to Meredith or "non-target"?

1 hour ago, Whut said:

We already have better than this.
Meredith is a Henchman who can guarentee a Suit, and she has an 8" 5 Stat attack that doesn't have 14 TN, and the effect is Injured+1, Poison+2, and with a Crow "(If there are any friendly models within 5" of the target that have Poison+1 or greater, or if the target already has Poison+1 or greater, target gains a parasite token)"

Side note, is the "another" on Rancid Transplant's requirement referring to Meredith or "non-target"?

Another defaults to "not the model where this text is written" essentially (see the FAQ released last March). So in this case, it means a friendly model other than Meredith.

• 4 weeks later...

So, we keep referring to Nexus as a she, which I get, but I'm pretty sure it's a case of it being a "they" or "them". It's a collective conscious hivemind and while it's able to reproduce, Nexus doesn't seem to be a queen, but more of just a figurehead for collective to communicate through. The physical body of Nexus seems...female ish, but I think the book refers to this being its current form, meaning the host could easily be male in a few weeks as needed too. 

This is in no way discriminated people from using the pronoun "she", just merely my attempts to understand a fictional unknowable alien monstrosity. Have a wonderful day. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, AverageGatsby said:

So, we keep referring to Nexus as a she, which I get, but I'm pretty sure it's a case of it being a "they" or "them". It's a collective conscious hivemind and while it's able to reproduce, Nexus doesn't seem to be a queen, but more of just a figurehead for collective to communicate through. The physical body of Nexus seems...female ish, but I think the book refers to this being its current form, meaning the host could easily be male in a few weeks as needed too. 

This is in no way discriminated people from using the pronoun "she", just merely my attempts to understand a fictional unknowable alien monstrosity. Have a wonderful day. 

In the background blurb in the Explorer book, Cadmus is referred to as "they/them" throughout.

(I haven't had time to read the Explorer stories yet, as my reading backlog is almost as long/longer than my painting backlog, which is almost as long as my assembly backlog...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

8 models and 10(?) soulstones only if hired in keyword (or none if you decide you want to summon all of them). Might be the worst Soulstones to cost box in the game :)

That's kinda a hilarious observation lol. I'm glad they kept the keyword to 3 boxes however. Alot of model value per box. 

39 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

8 models and 10(?) soulstones only if hired in keyword (or none if you decide you want to summon all of them). Might be the worst Soulstones to cost box in the game :)

Another way of thinking of this core box is over 40 wounds in one box, making it one of the best value in the game 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Another way of thinking of this core box is over 40 wounds in one box, making it one of the best value in the game 😜

Only Brotherhood of the Rat beats it out.... yes I just did the math.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, ThreeBatts said:

How do you mean?

Web markers are severe and destructible. This makes them terrain markers and so them being removed adds grow tokens to Botanists within 4". (Rulebook pdf pg28)

My list includes Nexus, Nightsilk Creaper, Archivist, Dr. Meredith Stanley, and three Botanists. First Activation: Nightsilk Creaper Interacts to drops a scheme marker within 2" of Nexus and Create Web to put a web maker within 2" of Nexus and 4" of the Botanists then walks. Second Activation: Archivist Interacts to drops a scheme marker within 2" of Nexus then walks. Third activation: Nexus uses Citizens of Malifaux turning the two scheme markers and the web maker into Eyes and Ears (needs an 11) (each Botanist gains a grow token), then it uses Exosceletal Connection to drop another web marker within 4" of the Botanists, then walks. Fourth Activation: Dr. Meredith Stanley uses A Fungus Among Us to remove the second web marker to turn an Eyes and Ears into a Berserker Husk (each Botanist gains a second Grow tokan).

The Botanists are maxed and have not yet activated.