Nexus (Cadmus Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

Transmutation can be used on:

• Burning
  • Poison
  • Distracted
  • Injured
  • Focused
  • Shielded (note damage comes first, so you'll rarely get more than 1 here if anything)

So most of the time you will use it to remove Focused (or another condition the opposing crew benefits from), or remove the injured/poison you yourself place on the enemy to give beatsticks distracted, give injured to enemies you're dogpiling, or give burning/poison to enemies who will die from it or who you're just looking to deal some damage over time to.

You can also use Nexus to attack a friendly model,  likely dealing min 1 damage (which can be transferred away) but replacing a negative condition with focused +2 or shielded +2.

-------

Another thing I'd like to point out is that with the Poison and Burning (through Transmutation) the crew can put out, and the ease with which WALegion and Siphon Power lets you control single points of damage, Cadmus are VERY good at killing their own models to conditions. Take Prisoner and future schemes like it which require an enemy stay alive will be easy for Cadmus to deny the second point.

• Like 2

Just played Nexus into Levie in recover. Levie's damage output is tough to keep up with for Nexus and the Abomination taking away healing really hurts them. 

Levie seems to have a really good chance against Nexus. Not sure if others would agree? I was doing really well in the beginning, but irreducible damage when hes taking damage to pump it up really hurts, at least that was my experience in my 3rd game with nexus. 

6 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Just played Nexus into Levie in recover. Levie's damage output is tough to keep up with for Nexus and the Abomination taking away healing really hurts them. 

Levie seems to have a really good chance against Nexus. Not sure if others would agree? I was doing really well in the beginning, but irreducible damage when hes taking damage to pump it up really hurts, at least that was my experience in my 3rd game with nexus. 

Archivist might be an option due to its anti-demise tech, but anti-demise tech is only so-so against Leveticus.

2 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Actually you were shutting down two of my main identity skills: Entropy and Unmade, which were just giving me the damage back.

But I felt like Cadmus is a bit vulnerable to Wp duels (with Nexus being the main exception), so using a lot of terrifying and specially attacking movement can be good. Something like this:

New Jack Daw Crew (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Jack Daw
Totem(s):
  Lady Ligeia
Hires:
  Montresor
  Carrion Emissary
  Guilty
  Hanged
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Manos, The Risen

5 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Aboms really shouldn't be able to live long while within 3" of your stuff, or you just frontline with your summoned models. If it is a problem to kill them there, you've got good movement capabilities, especially if you take Ngaatoro or Winston.

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

but anti-demise tech is only so-so against Leveticus

Anti-demise tech isn't generally as good because it's either situational or position based. There isn't really any other Anti-demise tech like the Archivist's, who has a 15" threat range to get two attacks and if Leve is hurting himself to increase his efficacy, he's risking the Archivist just killing him outright, especially if the Archivist has some focus stacked on which can be easily done Meredith and a spell eater.

22 hours ago, ShinChan said:

Actually you were shutting down two of my main identity skills: Entropy and Unmade, which were just giving me the damage back.

But I felt like Cadmus is a bit vulnerable to Wp duels (with Nexus being the main exception), so using a lot of terrifying and specially attacking movement can be good. Something like this:

New Jack Daw Crew (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Jack Daw
Totem(s):
  Lady Ligeia
Hires:
  Montresor
  Carrion Emissary
  Guilty
  Hanged
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Manos, The Risen

Jack Daw probably does really really well into Explorers, except for Cadmus or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Jack Daw probably does really really well into Explorers, except for Cadmus or am I wrong?

Seeker probably has the best bet against Daw really, because it doesn't really matter if you can easily hit them with their healing, and Jack can't live within 6" of Jedza.

As for the Cadmus matchup with @ShinChan's list, Jack Daw's main concern is going to be avoiding parasite tokens like the plague. If he gets a parasite token he has to nope out ASAP, because he does not have the enough health to survive all the chip damage a Cadmus crew can do.

It would actually be a pretty interesting matchup, because the main method of getting out parasite tokens doesn't involve directly targeting models so terrifying wouldn't hurt as much as it at first seems. The models in the crew that need to directly target stuff have decent Wp(aside from the nests but they only really have 1 job early on and after that they can affect the game in other ways), or they just have ruthless(husks). It's gonna be really easy to hit the Cadmus frontline with the low Wp and Mv of the crew.
The hanged is going to be an easy target to force an early parasite token on too and honestly that might make it too much of a liability even if it does have an otherwise great toolkit. That Df 4 is a massive boon for the Cadmus crew to flood it with parasite tokens or use it to spread parasite tokens to other models.
The Emissary is going to be good here, no doubt about it.
Montressor might be a liability with Suffocation, that's just free damage for Cadmus.
I'm not sure that Manos and the Guilty provide anything specific to the matchup, and Cadmus has good tools to ignore the Guilty's demise.

Cute idea I had - if you take Calypso Mk II, on Turn 1 you can shove one of your summoned Eyes and Ears in there permanently. It's definitely not as threatening as when Beebe is inside, but for 7 Stones you get a Df6 Wp3 Arm+2 6 Health body, Mv4 Unimpeded Walk with nimble on an 8+, and essentially two activations per turn, allowing it to potentially Walk 20" and then Interact (or 12" without the two 8's required). Nothing stops the EAE from making Calypso take the Interact action either. When Calypso dies, it explodes as normal, leaving a 1-2 Health EAE behind.

• Like 1

One crazy thing for OOK is the Archivist. Ill Omens+2 is very good to enable rushs... I feel like that thing should have restricted to the master/totem/Hive upgrade tbh... I can smell some obnoxious lists brewing.

And those totems my god; 2'' engagement range alone make them quite good at controling other models; but let's add 8Wds and H2W on top of that on a keyword able to redirect damage; and 2 of them just in case lol.

But I guess we'll see what Explorers can do with that in next tournaments.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Ogid said:

One crazy thing for OOK is the Archivist. Ill Omens+2 is very good to enable rushs... I feel like that thing should have restricted to the master/totem/Hive upgrade tbh... I can smell some obnoxious lists brewing.

And those totems my god; 2'' engagement range alone make them quite good at controling other models; but let's add 8Wds and H2W on top of that on a keyword able to redirect damage; and 2 of them just in case lol.

But I guess we'll see what Explorers can do with that in next tournaments.

I imagine a lot of games they'll be left behind doing nothing useful, but on games where movement is predictable (like centre brawl), I imagine they will contribute a lot.

But even just guarding two symbols of authority seems good.

2 minutes ago, HomelessOne said:

Shambling Nests do get From the Shadows, so you can still drop them within reach of somewhere annoying despite their low Move.

Yeah, just many crews will be able to dodge around them, or give them staggered. Or just die.

But I suppose they serve their purpose if the enemy stops to grind through 16 (!!!) Wounds.

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

But I suppose they serve their purpose if the enemy stops to grind through 16 (!!!) Wounds.

.... 16 built in healing trigger wounds!!!

They are there to get the Parasite Token engine started, and die; that's why they're insignificant.

48 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

.... 16 built in healing trigger wounds!!!

16 H2W, decent Df, built in healing trigger, (sometimes) pseudo-Incorporeal wounds which (sometimes) bounce damage back to you!

I think there's no end to the uses for these things. Place them in chokepoints and watch the enemy waste 3-4 attacks killing them. Place them in the way between Idols markers or engage enemies on the markers to make the following turn difficult. Place them in areas you'll want to Exoskeleton to early in the game. Engage enemies and force them to waste AP for disengage or move. Place them near your own objectives and Obey them with ignore Insignificant.

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, just many crews will be able to dodge around them, or give them staggered. Or just die.

I think this is highly underestimating the value Nests bring just by being there. Even if they just die, they probably ate 3-4 attacks (and thus held up whatever attacked them for at least a full activation). If you're going against the most mobile crews available like Zipp, there's often a slow model in there such as Hodgepodge Emissary or Mancha, or an objective to babysit like Corrupted Idols or Authority Markers. Compare 2 of those to 60% of the totems in the game which are little guys with 3-5 wounds who help on Turn 1-2 and then die to a single focused attack.

• Agree 1