RCT 12: Facing Ten Thunders!

Maniacal_cackle

For our Community thread this time, we're going to take a detailed look at what to do when facing Ten Thunders! As always, this thread is intended for new and experienced players alike. Share your insights, share your questions, and let's all get better together!

Some questions to get the discussion rolling, but feel free to add your own.

1. Your opponent has declared TT and you've declared Ressers - what are you thinking as you pick which master to declare?
  2. What do you do about master X, Y, or Z?
  3. Are there masters that are particularly brutal against our faction?
  4. Are there some rough matchups we should be aware of?
  5. Are there some good matchups we should try to capitalise on?

Some of this is going to be pool-specific, but let's try to pull out some general advice for TT and some specific advice for specific matchups.

Bonus points: If you're playing against TT this week, please post here about it! Would be great to get some real world examples into the thread.

We don't have any local TT players (yet), so I have extremely limited experience against them (just one tournament last season). Some thoughts...

Asami with their Emissary - this combo will drown us in card advantage. No matter what I did in the matchup with Molly, they always had more card selection. The Emissary has since been nerfed, but careful of trying to out-card this matchup. However, like many summoners, I suspect you can be really efficient with your schemes to get the advantage.

Shenlong - possibly reason enough to never take Molly against this faction? Shenlong's drunken shenanigans turn our hard-to-wound into a massive upside for them. He'll be flipping straight flips on most of his damage flips. Not sure the best way to handle this, but other defensive tech seems important (as well as just playing around him).

Yan Lo - I imagine this is quite similar to Resser Yan Lo since his keyword is so strong, but are there other tricks to be aware of?

Youko - one of those rare models that can use your bonus actions against you. Careful not to take anything that can spell instant doom!

But I don't really know what I'm talking about. Keen to hear everyone else's thoughts!

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Asami with their Emissary - this combo will drown us in card advantage. No matter what I did in the matchup with Molly, they always had more card selection. The Emissary has since been nerfed, but careful of trying to out-card this matchup. However, like many summoners, I suspect you can be really efficient with your schemes to get the advantage.

When was the Emissary nerfed? I don't see any Errata.

Yan Lo - I imagine this is quite similar to Resser Yan Lo since his keyword is so strong, but are there other tricks to be aware of?

The main way Yan Lo plays differently in TT is he will likely never run Toshiro, as there is no efficient way to generate corpses in Thunders.

Shenlong - possibly reason enough to never take Molly against this faction? Shenlong's drunken shenanigans turn our hard-to-wound into a massive upside for them. He'll be flipping straight flips on most of his damage flips. Not sure the best way to handle this, but other defensive tech seems important (as well as just playing around him).

Shenlong was nerfed pretty hard in the Errata, he lost Drunken Kung Fu. He will now be only turning :-flips on attacks/resists into :+flips, not damage flips.

Something to be wary of from Ten Thunders is the high quality models with Ruthless they have access to. Look at The Lone Swordsman and Fuhatsu, which are versatile, and evaluate whether your crew is okay with fighting them.

The Thunders' general upgrades are quite good as well, with one of them having Stealth and Unimpeded, and another turning off Resistance triggers for enemies while engaged.

22 minutes ago, Jinn said:

When was the Emissary nerfed? I don't see any Errata.

Oh, my mistake, I was probably thinking of Yasunori.

24 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Shenlong was nerfed pretty hard in the Errata, he lost Drunken Kung Fu. He will now be only turning :-flips on attacks/resists into :+flips, not damage flips.

Oh, that's majorly helpful! (Although still super bad news for Molly).

25 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Something to be wary of from Ten Thunders is the high quality models with Ruthless they have access to. Look at The Lone Swordsman and Fuhatsu, which are versatile, and evaluate whether your crew is okay with fighting them.

The Thunders' general upgrades are quite good as well, with one of them having Stealth and Unimpeded, and another turning off Resistance triggers for enemies while engaged.

These are great things to keep an eye out for as well. So I'm guessing someone like Seamus or Jack Daw will be pretty bad (unless you're going for some silly Mourner tech xD)

So who is good against TT? Do they have much stuff to ignore armor or incorporeal? Wondering if Kirai and Von Schtook are good bets.

And condition removal? McMourning's crew is pretty hardy, although I think Shenlong has condition removal?

Corpse Reva seems potentially solid unless they have a bunch of corpse removal. Do they have anti-demise tech to stop the grave golem?

Is emissary good here for blocking movement? I can imagine a samurai could have its day ruined by well placed coffins.

I'm more purple than orange so I might lose some models, but a few notes:

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Do they have much stuff to ignore armor or incorporeal? Wondering if Kirai and Von Schtook are good bets.

There are a few things: 

• Irreducible damage can be done by Shenlong, Charm Warders and Ohaguro (all need triggers but monks can buy triggers with chi and Ohaguro is a Henchman), not sure if I'm missing someone.
  • Samurais ignore armor in the mele attack and Sidir has Analyze Weakness (+ Ruthless); however the damage track of the gatling/machinegun doesn't go well against H2W
  • Mind McCabe can make ANY minion (or any model of his keyword) Precise with the Timeworn Blade; the best combo is probably Asami summoning min 3 Jorogumos (which can use Flicker, Focused and has a Puncture trigger, so they can also overpower defenses quite well) and McCabe giving them that Sword (which give it also fast btw)... For just overpowering RES defenses that's probably top notch taking also in count the ton of damage and control McCabe brings.
  • And let's not forget Tanukis that may enable models with puncture/charge through/Flicker to get through H2W (mostly Misaki's and Asami's crew); which is also almost like ignoring Armor and Incorporeal as those will be doing Moderate/Severe most of the time... there are also other Focused supports in the faction, mainly Sun Quiang, Kunoichis and Asami and his totem but only for Onis.

And condition removal? McMourning's crew is pretty hardy, although I think Shenlong has condition removal?

They have good tools here and some of them prone to show up with different masters.

• Shenlong can transfer it from model to model, however in the posion's case isn't very good. Do you poision your own models or transfer the poison to other of their models?
  • Katashiros, they are usually used as schemers (and summoned, so they will be pretty common); but can also be used to end conditions, this is another transfer but in this case just poison the Katashiro is a good move as they are throwaway summons anyway.
  • Tanukis again (at least they are easy to kill), another model that shows up in a lot of list.
  • Chiaki: Stat 7 dispel magic with built in slow; also handy because it might be used to give Izamu's Reliquary to any model in any crew (Ruthless and +1 Armor), it requires now an extra model to do that tho. If she is killed, her reliquary will periodically end conditions on the bearer (and the reliquary can be passed to models at 6'');  even dead she will be a nuisance.

Corpse Reva seems potentially solid unless they have a bunch of corpse removal. Do they have anti-demise tech to stop the grave golem?

They got anti demise, but only in a few crews; mostly monks (Shenlong has a Wp attack that ignores demises, it's ranged and low damage so it'll be a finisher), Charm Warders (those have the Qi and Gong + Monk Keyword) have Lantern of Souls, and they also got Manos + his reliquary, but only when playing Yan Lo as a master.

Corpse removal: Asami's Insatiable Hunger, Lucas's and Luna's Scrounge for Relics (plus the Looted supplies/Loot their corpses abilites on their models), Sun Quiang's Study, Lotus Eater's path of the Lotus... not sure if I'm missing something

Is emissary good here for blocking movement? I can imagine a samurai could have its day ruined by well placed coffins.

I guess it might work, however as they can't go through H2W, I don't think you'll see them a lot versus RES.

• Thanks 1

I played against samurai with trained ninja upgrade, and they hit quite hard. They take concentrate with a bonus and get a plus to their shoot and with the right suit they blast. And if you don't have anything ignoring their armour 2 you won't harm them significantly also because of stealth from the upgrade...

So I think bringing armour ignoring models like kirai (ikiryo) or student of steel or mcmourning is important against TT because of samurais, fuhatsu, lone swordsman...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unti said:

I played against samurai with trained ninja upgrade, and they hit quite hard. They take concentrate with a bonus and get a plus to their shoot and with the right suit they blast. And if you don't have anything ignoring their armour 2 you won't harm them significantly also because of stealth from the upgrade...

So I think bringing armour ignoring models like kirai (ikiryo) or student of steel or mcmourning is important against TT because of samurais, fuhatsu, lone swordsman...

they cost 11! 11, carl)) they are not a good model

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Are students of steel even that viable against something like a Samurai? It seems so inefficient for the movement 4 model to land a stat 5 analyze weakness on a ranged model.

I don't like them either but I don't see many other options for ignoring their Armor...

And yes they are expensive but I had problems against them, so just my experience...

• Like 1

I would say that when i see my opponent is TT i think first think about Shenlong and Fuhatsu. In this way i would prefer something to deny heal and targeting friendly models - so it's Decay Aura (Emissary, Effigy) and Anna's auras. As for masters i would say Von Schtook's aura is pretty good against Shenlongs upgrades. As for versitile models - Emisarry is my favorite. He will die eventualy, but help against Fuhatsu - you can make Coffins for Cover and Zombies for engagement (so opponent need to spend AP to shoot with Fuhatsu).

But to be honest, the most brutal matchup against TT was against McCabe... I want to think that it was so because i never saw McCabe in M3E before that, but he's Trample+MakeWay!+Unimpeded+Ride With Me+Push on Bull Whip is just damn crazy brutal when your crew is grouped.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, unti said:

I don't like them either but I don't see many other options for ignoring their Armor...

And yes they are expensive but I had problems against them, so just my experience...

Molly with iridus easy kill them doc too or u can control them or ping with a lot of sourse. yinwith hazard aura still gor or seamus who can 1shot samurai with combo/

• Like 1