The Salt mine episode 2: journalism School

4thstringer

8 hours ago, Gaston said:

I enjoyed this. 

Can you comment more on the Newsies?

Sure.  I've run 2-3 of them about 3 times now, especially in crews that I expect to come in hard to me.  If they go after the main ball instead of the newsies they work great, but if your opponent so much as looks at them funny, they will die.  Setting up on a flank then curling in to support the main ball seems to work best, though I have put them in the ball and protected them with phi as well.

The thrown newspaper is a really good attack for a 4 stone model.  One of guilds few built in attack triggers, though you are doing very little damage on your own, they are really going to suffer from the hand attack or get stunned and distracted.   In some ways they help the whole crew get focus in almost a mah level, though your crew doesn't utilize it as well.

And I think I let my opponent pick their discard instead of at random.  

12 points of newsie ? Were they as efficient as an 9 point henchman with 3 soulstones ? I I do not see what they bring to the team. They are not mobile enough to scheme run and will die if attacked.

I would maybe bring some against a Von Shtook crew. 1/1/2 is a nice damage track againt armor 1 and HtW models. Cycling your hand is also good. Distracted against the valedictorian is nice. And killing them will not summon anything.

I will try them again on next game, but I do not feel confident.

Two of the games I've run them in it's been recover evidence.  In one I ran 3 in they Picked up evidence markers for me and pretty much took lynch to half wounds on their own.

I'm not sure I'd take them every game.  No engagement at all is a real problem.

It seems to me that if they become a common take you will have to do more to protect them.  In recover Nellie asks the question "can you take out phi to get to the nougaty center" so stuff that can be picked off from the sides feels like a target.  But my opponents so far haven't gone for that, and they really charged the engine.

21 minutes ago, Gaston said:

@4thstringer Why did your opponent not put Evidence on them and kill them off rather than chasing to your center grouping?

I think he should have, (they had markers)but you can watch the video to see for yourself.  He had assassinate and would have struggled to get that or his vendetta if he had I guess?

That's why I had questions!!! You did call the secret tech after all.

It just seemed like they'd be easy VP for even an Undergrad to pop on over and try to pick up. I was also trying to square off the cost/benefit in my mind. Do they only do enough work to justify in multiples? But then you'd taking squish bots in multiples also, so do you really get your VP back? And to top it off, Schtook has really excellent condition removal.

13 minutes ago, Gaston said:

That's why I had questions!!! You did call the secret tech after all.

It just seemed like they'd be easy VP for even an Undergrad to pop on over and try to pick up. I was also trying to square off the cost/benefit in my mind. Do they only do enough work to justify in multiples? But then you'd taking squish bots in multiples also, so do you really get your VP back? And to top it off, Schtook has really excellent condition removal.

Good question.  They probably are just fine as a single take so as to not give away as many points.  The undergrads in the videos didn't really have a great option to pop off of. If he had sent an undergrad to deal with them rather than including them in the big scrum, it would have probably gone better for him. 

Shtook's condition removal was a problem for my crew in that game as a whole, but because he came to me I was able to control for it. 

Just now, Gaston said:

I've actually thought that a weakness of a lot of Schtook builds where you have the single Valedictorian to pop to and not much else. It tends to feel like it leaves her stranded all alone, if you're able to eat the alpha successfully, which Phiona really can do. 

I haven't had a ton of success against VS, but this is something I definitely want to explore further.