New Colette Player wanting to know more about the game and get advice from UK players

TGSNX

Hi I've just started with a friend and I'm having loads of fun playing the game, I started out with Colette's core box and I really like the way she plays though I must admit the showgirls feel a bit underwhelming compared to colette's fun tricks. I'm looking at expanding into the waiting in the wings box as I love the creepy manequins. Beyond the coryphees I want to try expanding into other parts of arcanists and I was wondering if there's any advice people could give me on what masters compliment colette's playstyle, I quite like the look of sandeep and ironsides.

Second if theres any newcomer advice that you could give me for playing colette and malifaux in general that would be greatly appreciated

Finally for people playing in the UK specifically the north east of the uk are there any good clubs (for me to look up in a post covid world)

Hello,

For some advices about Colette, you can look at this thread:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/150827-help-a-noob-with-collett/

And my tactica (I will update it soon for Season 1):

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/148741-welcome-to-the-show-a-m3e-colette-tactica/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TGSNX said:

Hi I've just started with a friend and I'm having loads of fun playing the game, I started out with Colette's core box and I really like the way she plays though I must admit the showgirls feel a bit underwhelming compared to colette's fun tricks. I'm looking at expanding into the waiting in the wings box as I love the creepy manequins. Beyond the coryphees I want to try expanding into other parts of arcanists and I was wondering if there's any advice people could give me on what masters compliment colette's playstyle, I quite like the look of sandeep and ironsides.

Second if theres any newcomer advice that you could give me for playing colette and malifaux in general that would be greatly appreciated

Finally for people playing in the UK specifically the north east of the uk are there any good clubs (for me to look up in a post covid world)

so you have picked on the of the hardest masters in the game to learn to play! congratuations

so colette is a lot of fun and has a lot of tricks although her crew is very squishy and one false move and its generally a dead showgirl 

colette's best schemes are mobility based so she has a lot of overlap with sandeep who himself is quite mobile but has a bit more killing power (if your wanting more info on sandeep please check out my breakdown of him here 

and i've got a couple of battle reports with arcanst's here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRt3DaO-9mFbwX7KwykTDlw?view_as=subscriber that might be worth a watch

ironsides along with hoffman are out two tankist, killist masters and both of them are able to lay the hurt down to do the business 

Waiting in the wings is a great box as manqiuns are great with take the hit for keeping your squishy showgirls alive a little longer where as the corophee are great little murder bots/tanks. be aware you prob want to magnatise the corophee so you can swap them between duet and single corophee as needed

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the LInks they're super helpful, I've seen a lot of people say that it's not worth taking outside of keyword is there a reason for that or is it just the +1 soulstone cost?

another powerast here))

sorry but I'm a bit of a noob here what's a powerast?

Concerning OOK (out of keyword), it all depends. Some others might disagree but I think that if you take a model OOK, it is because it gives your crew something that it is lacking.

For example, in Performer keyword there is not much healing, so hiring a Silent One OOK for a killy pool and making your models more survivable is something to consider.

But before thinking OOK, I generally first search in Versatile models. In Arcanists, some are super good as the Mechanical Rider and the Soulstone Miner.

You can also try by yourself some OOK models by proxying them for some games and make your own judgement about their utility.

Even if some models are better than others, in casual play, you can try different combinations of models and still have fun games.

9 hours ago, Vangerdahast said:

Concerning OOK (out of keyword), it all depends. Some others might disagree but I think that if you take a model OOK, it is because it gives your crew something that it is lacking.

For example, in Performer keyword there is not much healing, so hiring a Silent One OOK for a killy pool and making your models more survivable is something to consider.

But before thinking OOK, I generally first search in Versatile models. In Arcanists, some are super good as the Mechanical Rider and the Soulstone Miner.

You can also try by yourself some OOK models by proxying them for some games and make your own judgement about their utility.

Even if some models are better than others, in casual play, you can try different combinations of models and still have fun games.

performers have best heal in the game, so silent ones are taken just for healing only one model and some other actions

9 hours ago, TGSNX said:

Thanks for the LInks they're super helpful, I've seen a lot of people say that it's not worth taking outside of keyword is there a reason for that or is it just the +1 soulstone cost?

sorry but I'm a bit of a noob here what's a powerast?

it was joke) powerast-man who only play with power) i dont think that u choose performers only for power level

9 minutes ago, Plaag said:

performers have best heal in the game, so silent ones are taken just for healing only one model and some other actions

Can you explain a bit about that? In Performers only the Mannequins and the Duet can heal (and Cassandra with Upstage).

Based on your Vassal games, you only play the Duet and their healing is good (could perhaps have a wider range).

So Performers have means of healing but other Keywords do it better (with multiple models able to heal).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

Can you explain a bit about that? In Performers only the Mannequins and the Duet can heal (and Cassandra with Upstage).

Based on your Vassal games, you only play the Duet and their healing is good (could perhaps have a wider range).

So Performers have means of healing but other Keywords do it better (with multiple models able to heal).

When I played against Plaag, the Coryphee Duet's healing is pretty insane. From memory it can heal like 8 health in a pulse (12 if you use the mechanical rider for a third activation).

EDIT: And it is just a straight 2 healing, no cheating a moderate to get it up to 2!

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

When I played against Plaag, the Coryphee Duet's healing is pretty insane. From memory it can heal like 8 health in a pulse (12 if you use the mechanical rider for a third activation).

EDIT: And it is just a straight 2 healing, no cheating a moderate to get it up to 2!

Yes, I see that but in my games, the Duet is generally killing or scheming and rarely have many actions to use for healing. And Pulse 3 means playing in bubble or walking to have models in range. Perhaps I play differently to Plaag as my Performer crew is generally wide spread on the board and so it is more difficult to heal the right model.

10 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

Yes, I see that but in my games, the Duet is generally killing or scheming and rarely have many actions to use for healing. And Pulse 3 means playing in bubble or walking to have models in range. Perhaps I play differently to Plaag as my Performer crew is generally wide spread on the board and so it is more difficult to heal the right model.

Ah, fair enough! I've only played against his Duet once so far, but there was one turn where I had managed to finally get his Emissary down to 2 health, and then he walked in with his coryphee duet to heal it once. Then split, then two heals.

It is a bit of a slow, grindy strategy, though, so I think it only works if you build a crew like Plaag does (aka, where every single member of the team is so damn hard to kill xD). Plaag probably has more insights though.

• Like 1

Welcome to the game. 

Plaag considers Colette the strongest Master out there, but she isn't that straight forward (lots of people really struggle with the fact her game often doesn't involve killing the opponents). She can certainly be a lot of fun, but is not always forgiving of mistakes, so don't get to dishaeartened if you struggle with her at first. 

Malifaux is a complex game, and there is almost certainly no "one best way" to do something. It can be helpful to see what others do, but sometimes it can also hinder. So be prepared to try, and see what works for you. 

I don't know what Clubs there are in the north east at the moment, but there certainly used to be several clubs that had quite a group of players (I know of York and Harrogate off the top of my head, but I'm living in the south, so I only really interacted with them at bigger events. )