Doing it wrong with Pandora

Impersonator

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

@Marc Bowling, if you're on Vassal I'd be happy to play you sometime (NZ time zone may be tricky though).

I could try to point out some of the things I'm trying to do. Happy to try any crew you'd like.

That would be AWESOME! I seriously like feel like I ended a relationship badly by switching to Ressers. I actually bought Seamus first but loved NB so much more. 

On 10/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, touchdown said:

The whole crew loves its bonus actions and triggers. Von Schill can Shrug Off so it *only* costs him an action but it should turn Arik, Hannah, and the Engineer into pretty ineffective models. 

FYI Shrug Off completely neuters Stunned, assuming Stunned is what you end. This is because Bonus Actions only count towards the Action Limit while the model has Stunned. So if VS uses 3 Actions, then tries to Shrug Off that would be illegal, however if VS uses Shrug Off first and removes Stunned, then Shrug Off would NOT count towards his Action Limit, so he would be free to declare 3 Actions after Shrug Off

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

FYI Shrug Off completely neuters Stunned, assuming Stunned is what you end. This is because Bonus Actions only count towards the Action Limit while the model has Stunned. So if VS uses 3 Actions, then tries to Shrug Off that would be illegal, however if VS uses Shrug Off first and removes Stunned, then Shrug Off would NOT count towards his Action Limit, so he would be free to declare 3 Actions after Shrug Off

Not at all. 

Shrug Off comes at the price of discarding a card, which is in many cases just what Pandora wants you to. 

• Like 1

@Marc Bowling About the faction, NVB isn't a straightforward faction...

This faction has  a few key disadvantages, it's light in defensive tech and healing, his focused machine is expensive, resource intensive (and has a hard time stacking focused on relevant models) and have to work harder to do things like scheming. But it has also a few advantages, the initiative control with double AP is very powerful and enable powerful alpha strikes, the focused pulse model can become a very good model in turn 2 (or even 1) and focused pulses help with the awful card draw of the faction and we have a few powerhouses like the rider or Hinamatsu.

Those means that NVB in general need to hit hard and twice because they lack the tools for a good good atrition game or to outscheme other crews (I'm talking about the faction in general, double faction masters are another story); that kind of playstile is harder than sitting behind your Armor+2 and tons of healing crew. Gunlines are also a weakness, we have worse defensive tech versus those than other factions and now that Butterfly jump got replaced by scamper the upgrades offer 0 defense versus those. This means that playing this faction outside of the top dogs isn't easy; but that's part of what make this faction fun (at least for me).

From a competitive point of view Dreamer and Zoraida are the ones keeping the faction relevant; if you want to win games or play the most powerful masters, that's a good place to start. Dreamer is a monster combat crew, his interact game isn't very efficient but this is one of the few NVB crews able to offer an insane atrition game. Zoraida with all the out of faction models give NVB very good schemers and can make also some good combat crews, plus all the utility of the obey and being the only master able to reliabily generate scrap to summon stitcheds (something other faction have for granted with their summoners). Aside from these take a look to Serena, the only reliable healer in most keywords and a good all around model, The rider and Hinamatsu, 2 great beaters and the BBS, the only Focused support in the faction.

However I really recomend you to play whatever you like the most tho, being it more competitive or less and try different things; there are life beyond Dreamer and Zoraida, but you need to read well the match ups and get the right models. For example, I myself enjoy a lot playing Marcus, who is arguably the worst master of this faction by far; but It just clicks with me and I know in the pools where I can get away playing him and how to pivot into bad match ups. If you like the faction, stick with it. However if you feel the playstile isn't for you, go play and have fun with another one; RES is a very strong faction with a lot of very good stuff, so you probably won't regret it.

Also, feel free to post the list and pools you are going to play, most users will give you a lot of good advice.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2