Standing exactly 2 inches (50.8mm) apart on Vassal?

Maniacal_cackle

One of the things I love about Vassal is the precision of measurement, but I'm encountering one situation that I'm having trouble measuring precisely.

For those not familiar with the 2 inch/50mm blast issue: if a model wants to place to be precisely 2 inches away from something, it is 50.8mm away - just big enough that a blast marker from one model to the next can't hit it. There's a .8mm (3/100 of an inch) gap.

However, I don't seem to be capable of actually placing precisely enough to take advantage of a gap that is 3/100 of an inch wide. How do people handle this on Vassal? Place exactly at the aura 2" and use rule of intent to make it clear to your opponent how you're positioning?

Rule of Intent is an elegant tool to keep the game smooth and simple, and should be used more often in the real table too.

In vassal we do have access to blast marker and aura which can help us to find out the prefect spot between 2" and 50mm. However fine tuning a model position, especially in minuscule distance, can be a tough task and wastes much more time than in the real world. Rule of Intent is the one of the best way to keep the vassal game within 3 hours.

Edited by Rufess
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

• 5 months later...

was it really intended by wyrd to be able to stay out of blast by 0.8 mm? - is there some statement from wyrd?
... or is this common in all tabletop games? ... just started malifaux as my first tabletop game - so i dont know sorry :D
or is it just because model sizes is in mm and and distance in inches?

2 minutes ago, doubleW said:

was it really intended by wyrd to be able to stay out of blast by 0.8 mm? - is there some statement from wyrd?
... or is this common in all tabletop games? ... just started malifaux as my first tabletop game - so i dont know sorry :D
or is it just because model sizes is in mm and and distance in inches?

Wyrd intended for exact measurements to be possible - see declaring intent in the rules.

So then the question is how far to take it. But I think most people on here play with the 2 inch/50mm distinction (as long as it is declared). I sometimes remind my opponent by asking them if that is the intention.

• Like 3