Yasunori- missing in action?

Cranky Old Man

Since the nerf I have heard little to nothing bout Yas. Did the nerf kill him off? Looking at him the cost is just too much. Rounding down means he pretty much will never get more than one mask and mostly none. 11 stones is better spent elsewhere. The emissary is a cheaper and more reliable beater with some tricks. What are your thoughts?

47 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Since the nerf I have heard little to nothing bout Yas. Did the nerf kill him off? Looking at him the cost is just too much. Rounding down means he pretty much will never get more than one mask and mostly none. 11 stones is better spent elsewhere. The emissary is a cheaper and more reliable beater with some tricks. What are your thoughts?

I disagree with "mostly none". If your opponent routinely has two cards or less when Yas is activating, then we're playing much different opponents. It happens, but definitely less often than not. Unless they're specifically doing it to screw with Yas, in which case it's having a passive effect that shouldn't be overlooked.

Take some discard effects, and make them choose between keeping a couple cards extra in hand, or having zero. I'm thinking I want to try him with Youko. Oh, you want to piss away cards to make Yas weaker? Cool.

Emissary definitely feels more versatile as an option though, especially at a cheaper cost, and can deal with chaff a lot easier. In a generic list, I'd probably take the dragon even if the costs were the same.

13 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

I disagree with "mostly none". If your opponent routinely has two cards or less when Yas is activating, then we're playing much different opponents. It happens, but definitely less often than not. Unless they're specifically doing it to screw with Yas, in which case it's having a passive effect that shouldn't be overlooked.

Take some discard effects, and make them choose between keeping a couple cards extra in hand, or having zero. I'm thinking I want to try him with Youko. Oh, you want to piss away cards to make Yas weaker? Cool.

Emissary definitely feels more versatile as an option though, especially at a cheaper cost, and can deal with chaff a lot easier. In a generic list, I'd probably take the dragon even if the costs were the same.

I get where you're going with that tactic, but the extra masks for Yas just aren't nearly as important now. They can keep him alive, but he really can't do much to your opponent for an 11 stone model so your opponent might not even target him. He is hard to hit and kill, so he does stick around. The scariest thing he can do is chaos unleashed. That can situationally be pretty impactful and even game changing, including giving him an opportunity to move opponents to get the quick reflexes on a subsequent attack, but I don't know that an opponent manages his hands worrying about the things Ys can do with the masks. 

1 hour ago, Trample said:

I get where you're going with that tactic, but the extra masks for Yas just aren't nearly as important now. They can keep him alive, but he really can't do much to your opponent for an 11 stone model so your opponent might not even target him. He is hard to hit and kill, so he does stick around. The scariest thing he can do is chaos unleashed. That can situationally be pretty impactful and even game changing, including giving him an opportunity to move opponents to get the quick reflexes on a subsequent attack, but I don't know that an opponent manages his hands worrying about the things Ys can do with the masks. 

Yeah, I need to reevaluate. For some reason I had Quick Reflexes as Swift Action. Both mask triggers, and the latter was closer to what he had in M2E.

Making him much more situational, both in list builds and on the table. Probably wouldn't consider him unless I'd already taken the Emmi and Dawn Serpent. Which puts the list at 30SS without Keyword synergy.

• 2 weeks later...