Extremely new player looking for some help.

primevalivy

Hey all. I just picked up my first few models (Molly’s crew and the undead chimera thing)

I’m a bit confused though. I thought the keywords were requirements but I am seeing some lists that look like they are using models that aren’t versatile or share keywords. Am I missing something or do I just not understand the crew construction rules? 
Like could I use a tormented model with molly? Or another master?

Thanks and sorry for the super newb question.

• Like 2

Welcome to Malifaux!  The hiring rules are:

You can hire any model that shares a keyword with your leader for its printed cost, regardless of faction.  Your leader is free.  If your leader is a master, their totem is free.  If your leader is a henchman, then you get your leader's faction's effigy for free.

You can hire any model in your leader's faction for its printed cost +1.  Sometimes you'll see this referred to as the "tax" or "OOK tax."  You can even hire additional masters.

Finally, you can hire any model in your leader's faction that has Versatile for its base cost, without paying the tax.

When you're just starting out, you will probably hire a lot of keyword models.  But as your model knowledge and playstyle develop, you may find OOK (out of keyword) or Versatile models are a better fit for what you are trying to do.

At the risk of self-promotion, we have a podcast whose first few episodes are newer player focused:  https://www.theothercoastpodcast.com/ 

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, primevalivy said:

Hey all. I just picked up my first few models (Molly’s crew and the undead chimera thing)

I’m a bit confused though. I thought the keywords were requirements but I am seeing some lists that look like they are using models that aren’t versatile or share keywords. Am I missing something or do I just not understand the crew construction rules? 
Like could I use a tormented model with molly? Or another master?

Thanks and sorry for the super newb question.

The hiring rules are as follows

Choose  a faction

Choose a leader

Hire crew - eligible crew are those that share a keyword and/or are the same faction. If the model doesn't share a key word or the versatile trait, then you need to pay a 1 ss out of keyword cost to hire it. 

or as  the rules state (page 42)

Hiring a Crew consists of selecting models and Upgrades.
A player may hire any models that share one or more Keywords with their Leader. The total Cost of all models
and Upgrades hired by a player’s Crew cannot exceed the game’s Encounter Size. Some game effects can affect how a Crew hires models. These game effects are listed as “when hiring” on a model's card.
Additionally, a player may hire any models that belong to their declared Faction, though models that do not share a Keyword with their Crew’s Leader have their Cost increased by +1 during hiring. The exception to this rule are models with the Versatile Characteristic, which do not have their Cost increased when they are hired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Other Coast said:

Welcome to Malifaux!  The hiring rules are:

You can hire any model that shares a keyword with your leader for its printed cost, regardless of faction.  Your leader is free.  If your leader is a master, their totem is free.  If your leader is a henchman, then you get your leader's faction's effigy for free.

You can hire any model in your leader's faction for its printed cost +1.  Sometimes you'll see this referred to as the "tax" or "OOK tax."  You can even hire additional masters.

Finally, you can hire any model in your leader's faction that has Versatile for its base cost, without paying the tax.

When you're just starting out, you will probably hire a lot of keyword models.  But as your model knowledge and playstyle develop, you may find OOK (out of keyword) or Versatile models are a better fit for what you are trying to do.

At the risk of self-promotion, we have a podcast whose first few episodes are newer player focused:  https://www.theothercoastpodcast.com/ 

when i see " welcome to malifaux" i always remember taylor))

• Haha 3