The Dead Rider - what am I missing?

LeperColony

Well, let's find out why Dead Rider is amazing :)

6Df and 7Wp makes him pretty tough. It means that you can make a negative dmg flip most of the time even if opponent used focus. 

7Mv, Unimpeded and Ride With Me means that he's really mobile, you can cover really big distances for youe needs.

Damag line is 3/4/5. 3 minimum is good in M3E. Reap trigger is so good, it allows you to cover even more distances and replace you opponent. Deny some Corrupted Idols, Claim Jump e.t.c. Place opponent in treat range of your other models - it's not rare to see how Dead Rider grab key model and just bring it some death zone.

Ride With Me is pretty straightforward - drive your other models or just make an extra 5" Push to reach your destination. You know, he can cover 19", make an Attack and cover 2-4-6-8 or even 10" more on trigger. Taking opponent's model with him and it could just win the game.

Revel in Death is a toolbox. Injury+1 for everyone in 6" (with 50mm base) its huge and they even can't resisit.

Spinning Scytche is nice, it's 3 mininmum damage again, but you better save those crows for other triggers unless you absolutely need to finish someone.

The Dead Hate th Living is so fun :) If you have corpses it could be just a local zombie apocalypse. 1 or 2 zombies is not a big deal. But let it be 3 or 4 - that's when things become interesting. First of all those zombies can attack and even if they don't kill, they do some damage and give Poison and remember that it's almost for "free" - you want to do Revel in Death anyway to give Injury. The most useful trick is that Zombies, even if they don't kill, even if they don't do damage, they still engage and cover important zones with their bodies. Remeber, that opponent can't do Interract after Disengage. Let's say you do this on the last turn in the middle of the table. You get, let's say 3 Zombies in 6" pulse. Each of them activates and go for 8" (double walk, or walk+charge). So now 3 opponent's models are engaged and can't place markers this turn - they can't do it after disengage and they need to spend at least 1AP to kill Zombie and usualy it's not enough AP left to go wherever they want to put a marker. Of course there are lot of ways to leve engage without disengage action, but you know what? Let it be your opponent headache, because you didn't do much to make those dificults.

And last trigger - Soulfire. 2/3/4 + Injury and ignoring HtK for everyone in 6" pulse. 2/3/4 is not the best damage, i know, but the trick is that opponent don't resisnt and it's a straight flip, so you can cheat for 4 dmg. I know that it will cost you some cards, but if it's just a begining of last turn it can be huge - give Injury for lot of models, do damage serious to lot of models, maybe even kill someone and get Soulstones.

Let's talk about how Chasing Fate works. First tuen it's just 1 Fate token (crow for your duels). Second turn it's already 3. it means you can, for example, Ride with Me for 5", walk for 7", charge for 7" and push back for 6" grabbing a key model to kill. Let's say you save your tokens on Second turn. It means you have 6 on Third turn and you can do Soulfire. From now you can do Soulfire every next turnю It doesn't mean you have to, but you can - toolbox, as i said. And you know, it's even better if your opponent is awared that you can do it - he don't sure, will you do it or not, but he must consider it can be done while planning his positions.

Let's talk about downsides. 3Sz - everyone will see Rider from far away. Only 9Wd - be prepeared to heal him somehow (GST is not a bad option). He's enforcer, so he can't use Soulstones (our Rider is not so dirty like Arcanists). 11 cost, it's a good target for Vendetta, Public Enemies. So be careful with what you doing, Rider pretty much alway is a primary target.

As for synergy with our Masters - i would try to be short:

• Seamus - Reap trigger can bring someone into Seamus engage for Hello My Love.
  • Von Schtook - you will easily make Dead Rider Fast most of the time and Ride With Me on first turn will help you to position your Master well.
  • Molly, McMourning, Jack - again, Ride With Me and Reap - taxi your master so they don't spen AP for move or bring enemies to your master's treat range.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Something to mind with every rider is stunned, that condition disables his Df trigger, which may enable other models to kill him faster. And it will also disable his powerful triggers.

Mind his defensive trigger works only for Df. His other stats are very high so he should be fine; but he should be careful around high damage Wp attacks; specially versus a crew able to field Distraction auras or generating more card draw than his crew. Also Staggered + Mv attacks is tough for him.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 2:23 PM, Sagrit said:

Let's talk about how Chasing Fate works.

A quick question for clarification. This came up a few times in my games when I run the Rider. With Chasing Fate, can you spend a fate token to activate the Revel ability?  I have been holding and cheating Crows to activate Revel, then spending fate tokens for trigger suits. 

3 minutes ago, Mello_77 said:

A quick question for clarification. This came up a few times in my games when I run the Rider. With Chasing Fate, can you spend a fate token to activate the Revel ability?  I have been holding and cheating Crows to activate Revel, then spending fate tokens for trigger suits. 

The declare triggers step is before you need to check to see if you have reached the target number, so it is perfectly legal to reach the declare trigger step, add a crow, choose to declare no triggers and then check to see if you have meet the target number, which since chasing fate adds a crow to the duel total you should have. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, another thing worth emphasising is his Reap trigger. It is insanely good, and arguably a stronger reason to take him. I use Reap more often than his mega bonus action.

Reap is great in turns 1-2 (ideally paired with a :crow ) in order to catch someone that overextended a bit. You bring it close to your crew so they can smack his/her face while being too far to be helped. If you do it at the beginning of turn 2, you can even trigger the Revel in Conflict to give that model Injured +1, so it will be a death sentence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2