Pursuit questions

Picasso

On 9/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, Picasso said:

The one exception to this occurs if the character already has ten ranks in a Basic Pursuit; if this happens, the character cannot choose to advance in that Pursuit any further and must choose a new Pursuit at the end of the Prologue.

Yeah you got it, but I think it's worth mentioning that depending on the Talent in question (you'd have to consult your FM) you could maybe take a missed Pursuit Talent option as a Destiny Step Manifested Talent.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ebb said:

Yeah you got it, but I think it's worth mentioning that depending on the Talent in question (you'd have to consult your FM) you could maybe take a missed Pursuit Talent option as a Destiny Step Manifested Talent.

I’m looking at some of the pursuits and thinking why can’t you go back through? Gunfighter is a good example of this. Wastrel wouldn’t be because of double down. 

I’d like to see some pursuit talents start to reappear in other pursuits like “Bulletproof.” Then cap it at three. Performer and Mercenary are others that could use this.

4 hours ago, Picasso said:

I’m looking at some of the pursuits and thinking why can’t you go back through? Gunfighter is a good example of this. Wastrel wouldn’t be because of double down. 

I’d like to see some pursuit talents start to reappear in other pursuits like “Bulletproof.” Then cap it at three. Performer and Mercenary are others that could use this.

It seems to me that separating the Talents out like this increases character variety, and gives the creators a lot of design space, so personally I'm all for it. As far as giving the player access to more instances of things like "Bulletproof", I think that it would usually be better to add these as General Talents.

If you do happen to be looking for ways to make a Gunfighter more "shooty" I would recommend taking a look at the Boomer and Marksman Pursuits (Into the Bayou and Above the Law, respectively). In fact, this might provide a good example of what I mean by character variety. 

Many of the Gunfighter and Boomer Talents effect all firearms (not just pistols or shotguns). If you took the titular step 3 "Gunfighter" Talent (the one that lets you use pistols as melee weapons) than that would free you up to take the Boomer "Deadly Crits" Talent, which is obviously very strong for all ranged weapons. You'd have a character that used pistols for melee as well as probably single target damage, and shotguns for crowds of enemies, as well as maybe using them for longer range engagements if you took the "Shot Studies" General Talent (Core Rules pg. 220 and there's a misprint, the errata clarified that it only adds +10, it doesn't multiply it by 10 =P), and also perhaps the Marksmen "Take Aim" Talent.

Alternatively, if you took the "Quick Reload" Talent, that plus the "Bullet Trick" Magia (which is almost always a good Destiny Step Spell-Like Manifested Power choice for characters that specialize in ranged weapons) can reduce the .50 flintlock reload to one AP. In that case you might want to choose the "Up Close And Personal" Talent, so then you'd have a character that used shotguns for melee instead of pistols, which can provide some awesome crowd control with the "Hit The Deck" Talent Trigger ("Up Close And Personal" makes your character immune to blast damage from your melee shotgun attacks)

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the synergy between the Gunfighter "Bullet Bending" Talent, and pretty much anything involving the Marksmen Pursuit

Sorry, I might have gotten a little carried away there.

P.S. This is getting closer to what I would describe as "Min-Maxed beyond belief" =P

• Like 2