Standing up for Ressers!

Maniacal_cackle

So I'll summarize my beliefs about the game and how it went:
The main problem is that I prepped for a fight hoping that I could summon my scheme runners and that the Dead Rider could shore up whatever gaps I have in scheme running needs. With the Rider dead turn 1 due to getting swapped into the Colette crew and both of my summoned Necropunks over the course of the game getting slain, I didn't have anything left fast enough to score my points. In retrospect, I should have picked Leave your Mark instead of breakthrough (I had envisioned killing the Silent One turn 2 with the Valedictorian which would have gotten a recruitment Drive marker for the first point) because Anna spent most of the game in the center of the map just kinda chilling. 
Additionally, even with a mecharachnid on the loose, Necropunks of sufficient number (and with Grave Spirit's Touch) should have been able to weather the storm and go get the symbols, and I instead opted for my comfort pick elite crew, and that cost me. I took the Student of Steel expecting more Coryphee because those are common choices for Colette players locally, so when the only armored model worth spitting at just stayed away from the fight for the majority of the game, that didn't really matter either. Basically I should have just front loaded scheme running potential at crew select, taken out the counterpick arachnid with the Vally since Schtook should hire her regardless of context, and then just ran points with his best-in-class scheme runners. At that point, Colette being annoying doesn't really matter, and you just have to pick somewhere to remove 1 point from his scoring potential and call it a day. Since Colette is commonly the only Don't Mind Me model in her crew (because you hire Colette, Coryphee, and then go versatiles, apparently) just camping your Symbols should be an effective counter-pick if you can keep her away from the Symbols even for a single turn. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Kharnage said:

So I'll summarize my beliefs about the game and how it went:
The main problem is that I prepped for a fight hoping that I could summon my scheme runners and that the Dead Rider could shore up whatever gaps I have in scheme running needs. With the Rider dead turn 1 due to getting swapped into the Colette crew and both of my summoned Necropunks over the course of the game getting slain, I didn't have anything left fast enough to score my points. In retrospect, I should have picked Leave your Mark instead of breakthrough (I had envisioned killing the Silent One turn 2 with the Valedictorian which would have gotten a recruitment Drive marker for the first point) because Anna spent most of the game in the center of the map just kinda chilling. 
Additionally, even with a mecharachnid on the loose, Necropunks of sufficient number (and with Grave Spirit's Touch) should have been able to weather the storm and go get the symbols, and I instead opted for my comfort pick elite crew, and that cost me. I took the Student of Steel expecting more Coryphee because those are common choices for Colette players locally, so when the only armored model worth spitting at just stayed away from the fight for the majority of the game, that didn't really matter either. Basically I should have just front loaded scheme running potential at crew select, taken out the counterpick arachnid with the Vally since Schtook should hire her regardless of context, and then just ran points with his best-in-class scheme runners. At that point, Colette being annoying doesn't really matter, and you just have to pick somewhere to remove 1 point from his scoring potential and call it a day. Since Colette is commonly the only Don't Mind Me model in her crew (because you hire Colette, Coryphee, and then go versatiles, apparently) just camping your Symbols should be an effective counter-pick if you can keep her away from the Symbols even for a single turn. 

i told you about student of steel))

On 9/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, Kharnage said:

I took the Student of Steel expecting more Coryphee because those are common choices for Colette players locally, so when the only armored model worth spitting at just stayed away from the fight for the majority of the game, that didn't really matter either.

Even if there ends up not being much armor, the Student of Steel still can hit hard with the same 2/4/5 dmg track as all the students, still puts out Stunned, and even brings a heal for all your constructs. They are good even if not facing armor. 

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Even if there ends up not being much armor, the Student of Steel still can hit hard with the same 2/4/5 dmg track as all the students, still puts out Stunned, and even brings a heal for all your constructs. They are good even if not facing armor. 

I agree, but a Necropunk would have put more points on the board, which was the key missing ingredient to not losing :P
The Student of Steel is a great pick for a brawl against an aggressive crew, but I misread what I was getting into, and so he ended up not being as useful as advertised. That being said, he was instrumental in killing Colette, which is one of the most gratifying deaths in Malifaux, but that didn't really rob my opponent of points.

1 minute ago, Kharnage said:

I agree, but a Necropunk would have put more points on the board, which was the key missing ingredient to not losing :P
The Student of Steel is a great pick for a brawl against an aggressive crew, but I misread what I was getting into, and so he ended up not being as useful as advertised. That being said, he was instrumental in killing Colette, which is one of the most gratifying deaths in Malifaux, but that didn't really rob my opponent of points.

Ah, yes. I really haven't felt the love others have for the new Necropunks. I miss them being able to self-heal with a non-action. Without that and now a Df of 4, I find they die quite easily if the opponent spends any time going after them. So I've been reluctant to rely on them for the scheme heavy schemes. I honestly almost never pick any of the scheme marker related schemes in GG1. They just seem so much more difficult than the other schemes. 

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Ah, yes. I really haven't felt the love others have for the new Necropunks. I miss them being able to self-heal with a non-action. Without that and now a Df of 4, I find they die quite easily if the opponent spends any time going after them. So I've been reluctant to rely on them for the scheme heavy schemes. I honestly almost never pick any of the scheme marker related schemes in GG1. They just seem so much more difficult than the other schemes. 

I find they can be useful for a few specific cases, but yeah often the ones to do with position or engaging your opponent are much more proactive. Especially good for ressers.

I reckon Spread Them Out is a good thing for my Outcast opponent to take against my Reva though.

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Put GST on them. They'll stand up to Mature Nephilim... I speak from bitter experience. 
EDIT: Beyond that, no one really can justify to themselves cheating to pass a failed terror duel on a base 5 stone model, especially if you can make them sweat on a different part of the battlefield with Vally pressure. 

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, Sagrit said:

It's 6-3 for Colette.

@Kharnage will tell more (i hope). Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4FLLEDK98&feature=youtu.be

I only had time for the first 16 mins today, but that's a pretty intense start. That Rider's Reap into Ana's Hostile Work Enviroment is a disgusting combo I'll watch out for... and then Colette throwing herself forward with Presto Chango going for what I guess it's a rider trade. The game looks great, ty for recording and sharing guys!

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

students of steel are useless all the game long

Watched the Plaag-Kharnage game and here's my scouting report.

Plaag is a machine at soulstone use. He started with 2 and used 2 almost every round and always correctly. Don't let his low starting cache fool you.

All his models are really hard to kill. Either just tanks or hidden (Colette with buries, Silent one far away behind an ice pillar). Between his expert use of stones and the silent one, and they're own innate toughness: you need to really focus to take models down. Don't waste AP attacking that doesn't ultimately lead to killing (or do useful triggers/conditions).

He'll probably see it coming but if you can summon a shikome as far forward as possible and take out the Silent One early, and also get the upgrade so you have consistent armor piercing/puncture, that would be big.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Graf said:

Well... I here I was, hoping maniacal wouldn't get to much of a beating... 🤣

I'll be honest... I would have been happy even if I lost by 1-2 points. Plaag is very good!

But I got to pick the pool AND was lucky (two very relevant red jokers on damage flips... Although I was doing a lot of damage flips).

2 minutes ago, Graf said:

The after reports and lessons learned are the meat I'm most interested in though. I'm waiting in anticipation. 

That'll be my major project for the week, writing up as many insights to go with the video as possible :)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

@Maniacal_cackle Congratulations! I liked the sneaky Crooligan murder surprise :}

Haha, I always thought of them as my little assassins, but calling it "sneaky crooligan murder surprise" is so much better.

I think a lot of people underestimate a focused crooligan. So often its activation can be: you take ~6 damage, no cheating.

I was really struggling with having enough cards to do everything, though, so had to rely on luck a bit to land the crooligan hits xD

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Rematch!!! Reva vs. Kaeris!

@Plaag and I will be playing each other again!

Pool:

This time I selected the strategy and deployment type, and randomly selected 5 schemes that weren't present in our last game.

• Corrupted Ley Lines on Wedge Deployment
    • Breakthrough
    • Take Prisoner
    • Vendetta
    • Catch and Release
    • Let Them Bleed

Reva crew:

Played by me.

• Reva & Candles
  • Dr. McMourning
  • Grave Golem
  • Gravedigger
  • Shieldbearer
  • Bone PIle
  • 6 stones

So I'm set up for the summoning engine with Dr. McMourning, but I'm not sure if it will be my main plan with him.

Kaeris Crew:

Played by Plaag.

• Kaeris w/ Magical Training & Eternal Flame
  • Envy
  • Elijah Borgmann w/ Soulstone cache
  • Mechanical Rider w/ Soulstone Cache
  • Medical Automaton w/ Magical Training
  • The Firestarter
  • 3 stones

I've never played against a Kaeris crew like this, so this should be very interesting! Looks like I have some reading up to do to figure out what the heck these extra models do.

The Map:

1827704469_MalifauxVassalIndustryMap.thumb.png.67f6cfee1c8917c3be3775eccb00af49.png

• Like 3

As far as I can see, he picked his models well. As expected its very tanky with armor/shielded and heals. Corpses aren't safe against Kaeris. Envy is a good choice, especially vs Reva, as he takes away your shielded, deals extra damage for it and leaves you burning and injured. Vendetta will be easy. 

• Like 1