Pool discussion

Hi everyone, I'm trying out Ressers for a while, switching from Outcast most recently.  Anyhow, I have a game set up vs Guild tomorrow and thought I would post the pool for discussion.  

Strat: Public Enemies - Wedge Deploy

Schemes: Spread them out, Assasinate, Vendetta, Breakthrough, Take Prisoner

I'm willing to try out any master since I only have a few games in with Jack, Molly and Albus.  I'm thinking either Molly or Albus.  Molly can be tough to take out for Assassinate I think, very mobile for Breakthrough with Terrors/Crooligans and I can probably get Vendetta fairly easily with something.  Albus and Anna for auras and taking care of Lead-lined Coat, Vale to kill stuff.  Spread them out seems pretty easy with Albus, and likely Vendetta.  Then students or undergrads depending on what opponent takes.  Probably undergrads since they only give one token.  Anyhow, I'd love to hear how you all would handle this killy pool.  I'm looking forward to learning!

• Like 1

Awesome topic :)

That's a really interesting pool! Some thoughts

Disclaimer: I main Molly and Reva, and so for all other masters I'll mostly be talking theory. I also haven't played against Guild.

Wedge + Public Enemies always screams "Jack Daw" to me, but I'm not as confident on this setup. You're basically going to be stuck going straight at them in their deployment zone. Guild typically chooses to not be the agressor, so they may just sit back and shoot you up while you slowly cross the board to them (and I wouldn't be surprised if they only deployed partially into the deployment zone).

Von Schtook is awesome, and I'm sure he would have no problem.

For Molly, I think you're right, she would likely be amazing at this pool! It's hard to assassinate Molly, especially with a less aggressive faction like Guild. And she can easily take Toshiro making it super hard to take her down. Archie + crooligans means you can easily score breakthrough and spread them out, or night terrors could be serviceable too (especially with their anti-shooting aura). Molly could easily do all five schemes (though she'd want Yin to do Take Prisoner), and could also deny all five pretty well. Take Prisoner can be a bit dodgy, since you'd rather be killing than capturing.

I'd probably take something like this:

• Molly + Machine
  • Dead Rider
  • Archie
  • Manos
  • Crooligan
  • Whatever else.

Then turn one and two I'd look for an opportunity to sneak a kill or two, then go all out brawl from turn 3 onward. Probably take the scheme 'spread them out' to force them to come to me or I win. Guild is going to be a sad camper if they're forced to cross the centreline on this pool (I think).

Yeah, the pool screams Jack Daw, but there is one caveat: if you expect Lady J., I wouldn't take him. She makes mince meat out of Tormented. She's the reason why I would pick Schtook, but luckily he can play anything from this pool. Spread, Vendetta and Breakthrough would be my top picks, but it depend on the opponent's crew.

Edit: No idea about Molly, so take the others advice on her

Definitely Molly. Go with spread them out and break through. Take 2 crooligans and 2 might terrors to go off and drop your markers. They only give up 1 bounty token. I would go with Molly, necrotic machine, Archie, rogue necro, 2 crooligans and 2 night terrors. Whisper on molly and maybe grave spirits touch on Archie.

Crooligans go for the schemes, in a pinch Archie and the necro can help. Archie and the RN -plus Molly go for the kills .

I was thinking about Jack, since I have the most experience with him.  But my opponent does take Lady J occasionally.  I'm thinking he may take double master, although I haven't seen him do that since GG0.  Basse and Sonnia if he does. 

Something I tend to do is overextend models.  I just can resist the temptation to throw something in his face turn one or early 2 to tie up his whole crew.  Sometimes it works wonders other times I am left fighting to save the game.  Lol.  If he does Sonnia, I need to do that to get her engaged. I think I am going to go with Von Schtook.  I imagine I'm going to see the Pale Rider and having the Valedictorian and a summoned student to give it stunned is probably the easiest path to killing that darn thing. I'll post a game summary when I'm done.  Keep the ideas coming though, I enjoy this kind of discussion and definitely gives me new ideas. 

So, we just got done playing our game.  I decided on VS and he took Lady J.  Since I was waffling between VS and Molly, I decided to take both.  :)

VS - Whisper, Research Assistant, Molly, Vale - GST, Undergrad, Undergrad -8 Stones

Lady J-No Prisoners, Scales, Jury-LLC, Domador x 2, Judge-LLC

He deployed a bit back, I was right up front of my wedge.  VS pulsed focus, gave vale upgrade and fast and walked up a bit. Then I misplace my Res Assist and he got taken out by the Jury, I also suffered from an Obey on Vale which he made charge Molly and eat my focus, push trigger.  Grrr. Vale back out of position with no focus and he RJ damaged so Molly hurt. Molly pushed Vale and gave focus back.  Undergrad pushed Vale another 4, the I sent Vale into his backfield going after one of the Domadors.  Killed him and summoned another Undergrad that took a free swing at the Judge for a ping of 1 after armor. Lady J got pissed and went after Vale and I managed to stave off the attack, ended up taking 5 wounds at the end of Turn 1. I teleported the other Undergrad in and killed the other Domador Turn 1 as well.  Plenty of scheme markers being dropped but they were all bunched up.  I didn't picture my opponent getting so clustered up.  Anyhow, I would have gotten 1 for Vendetta with the Undergrad, my opponent was nice enough to bury him and send him back to safety since I have the target Domador dead.  So would have gotten 1 for second point at the end.  But I couldn't resist teleporting back in and beating things up.  Lol.  I died.  No Vendetta points.  Long story short, I did a bunch of damage and chewed through his 10 stones by the end of turn 2.  Molly and VS on centerline ready to come in if need be, although Molly did enjoy hitting Judge for 3 irreducible, would have been 6 but I missed target number on second attack.  1 point apiece for strat, so 1-1 after 2.

Opponent cheated to go first turn 3, and tried to take out Vale with LJ.  I had 3 severe cards in hand, so I survived.  Vale activated, regen 2, killed judge and summoned an Undergrad.  So I had, Vale, Undergrad, VS and Molly against LJ with 2 wounds left, Scale and Jury.  He called it there since he didn't have any stones and LJ had already gone. Talked it through.  I would have gotten 3 for Strat, 2 Spread and 0 Vendetta.  He got 1 for Strat.  He had Assassinate on VS, but I had LJ tied up with Vale.  He felt if he sent her after VS Vale would have chewed the rest of his crew, especially with teleporting Undergrad support.

What did I learn? The card draw for VS crew for Studied Opponent actually happened more than I thought it would.  My card draw was the difference in the game.  I took Molly to supplement card draw, which didn't really happen because he used his cards quickly.  Which then led to Molly's attack being super scary for him.  Vale, was pretty consistently hitting and managed to survive although I think some healing would have been valuable for me.  My opponent bunched up, so while there were scheme markers being dropped, they were right next to each other so I needed some help to score spread them out which I didn't see coming.  Ended up all right since I killed his crew though.  VS was pretty far back, so his aura didn't really come into play at all, which was fine since Assassinate was in the pool.  Undergrads are really solid 6 stone models with their extra attacks on place. I think they did the majority of the damage this game.

Interesting game.  After I lost the RA and the Obey of Vale first turn I was feeling kind of intimidated by his crew and didn't know what I was getting into.  Then Vale and Undergrads got into his face and the tempo of the game changed big time. Victory for Resser 5-1.  Thanks for reading.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
13 hours ago, LennyB said:

Something I tend to do is overextend models.

2 hours ago, LennyB said:

Anyhow, I would have gotten 1 for Vendetta with the Undergrad, my opponent was nice enough to bury him and send him back to safety since I have the target Domador dead.  So would have gotten 1 for second point at the end.  But I couldn't resist teleporting back in and beating things up.  Lol.  I died.  No Vendetta points. 

Well, that seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I guess you know already how to improve, not running into the frontline willy-nilly is quite important for Transmortis imho. But good the game worked out for you anyway. 👍

€: Yeah, Studied Opponent can be a little bit swingy. I had situations when I drew more than I needed, but also ones where it hardly came up at all.

Yup, I know how to improve.  It is just so tempting to put a beater in the backfield turn 1 to tie up the other crew.  Sometimes it works really well, others not so much.  I need to figure out a kind of checklist for situations where I have the green light to plow ahead, and situations where it would be not very smart.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LennyB said:

Yup, I know how to improve.  It is just so tempting to put a beater in the backfield turn 1 to tie up the other crew.  Sometimes it works really well, others not so much.  I need to figure out a kind of checklist for situations where I have the green light to plow ahead, and situations where it would be not very smart.

It works really well with sacrificial pieces, which Kirai has plenty of!

Otherwise it can be pretty tricky, particularly turn one when they can use their whole crew to smash your guy.

A stronger pattern turn one I find for some models (like Archie) is charge over and kill something isolated. If they waste time charging after Archie, he can leap and run away, to come back and smash turn 3.