Everyday I Write The Book

Jesy Blue

Fact:  there are 8 Starter boxes coming, one for each faction, with 4 new models each box.

Speculation:  Explorer's Society faction book coming out will be similar to the existing 7 faction books.

Inquiry:  where will listings of the 28 (possibly 24 as Outcast box is all Syndicate models so might be in the ES book ) other models be?

Hypothesis:  like in M2E, there will be a Wave book with all the new models in it.

Conjecture:  as in the previous Wave books, there will be new upgrades available for each faction.

I swear I'm the only Outcast player who's mostly happy with our upgrades.  Save perhaps Wanted Criminal, but that's clearly meant as a Parker synergy upgrade, and I haven't played much Parker this edition yet.

Are they as amazing as TT/Arcanist stuff?  Probably not, but I submit that the TT/Arcanist upgrades are too good, rather than ours being too bad.

I think before we say 'give us more upgrades' I'd there to be a bit of a plan around what upgrades could / should do.  Like looking at some upgrades it seems like there's a few things that tend to get on the general upgrades

• something to make a model more survivable (hard to kill, stealth, regen, etc)
  • something to make attacks better (blade rush, swagger, expert shot)
  • Movement (on the prowl, twitchy, scamper)
  • Resource generation (recharge soulstone, nepharious pact, this will fetch a high price)
  • Counter tech (riot gear, laugh off, ruthless, dispel magic, relentless)

And most of the upgrades hit a variety of these points in a single upgrade.  So (outside of creating new abilities for upgrades) I'm worried if we get 2-3 more every faction may end up having something similar.  And if something key moves to the 'minion only' side that's on a different upgrade's general set... people won't like it much.  Almost feel it'd be easier to balance a bunch of new models than 1-2 new upgrades, ha.

52 minutes ago, muraki said:

So (outside of creating new abilities for upgrades) I'm worried if we get 2-3 more every faction may end up having something similar.  And if something key moves to the 'minion only' side that's on a different upgrade's general set... people won't like it much.  Almost feel it'd be easier to balance a bunch of new models than 1-2 new upgrades, ha.

What if they are the old school Master/Leader only upgrades?

12 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

What if they are the old school Master/Leader only upgrades?

Interesting thought.  I ignored that possibility as I seem to remember in the 'move to m3e' posts them saying master only upgrades were a total headache to balance.  But it's a possibility if they're more 'hard to wound' rather than 'here's 3 new actions' like the m2e ones were.

1 hour ago, clockworkspide said:

I swear I'm the only Outcast player who's mostly happy with our upgrades.  Save perhaps Wanted Criminal, but that's clearly meant as a Parker synergy upgrade, and I haven't played much Parker this edition yet.

Are they as amazing as TT/Arcanist stuff?  Probably not, but I submit that the TT/Arcanist upgrades are too good, rather than ours being too bad.

I actually think SoDP is good and fine, but SfH is a mess where it's impossible to benefit from all 3 abilities and hard to benefit from 2 of them. Wanted Criminal is a waste of a card printing.

On another note, wasn't m3e supposed to have alternative versions of masters? Maybe we'll see those.

The big complaint about the master upgrades were:

• You ended up doubling the card surface area on the master (or worse).
  • “Here’s two dozen upgrades.  Pick three” isn’t a good recipe for balance.
  • It’s really inconvenient to try to remove or change abilities with an upgrade.

That’s why all of the talk shifted to alternate title versions of masters.  And that’s why you probably won’t see master upgrades.

Edit:  Disclaimer:  I still think there would be a much better experience if you could buy upgrades after seeing some of the other crew.

Counter point - not all releases appear in a book. Most have done so, but the 2 faction fight boxes were never in a book.  Occasionally models were released before rules were seen in books ( Aionius, Transmortis and the M2 starter box). 

But it's a whole new world 

3 hours ago, touchdown said:

I actually think SoDP is good and fine, but SfH is a mess where it's impossible to benefit from all 3 abilities and hard to benefit from 2 of them. Wanted Criminal is a waste of a card printing.

On another note, wasn't m3e supposed to have alternative versions of masters? Maybe we'll see those.

Soldier for Hire's the one I take most, as a Freikorps player.

Oh yeah.... that was at the end of 2nd edition, there was so much flux from there to the leak of 3rd edition I'm not surprised.  But this is year 2 of an edition, and the first of guaranteed many more models to come, and you think there's a possibility of them not compiling them into a book?  It's practically the JC Penny Christmas Catalog of their products!

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

They were in Shifting Loyalties....

Sorry I was talking about backdraft etc. I even mentioned the M2e starter seperatly as something that got a book release after the model release . I can't remember the exact release timing of back draft etc. It's certainly possible they were intended to be in the next book. Of course then the only way to get the model rules was a book or to buy the model. We now have free downloads and free app as well. 

Whilst I agree it was always the catalogue, that was pre splitting them into faction books, which may make a difference on book releases. I don't know I'll be interested to see what they do. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping we get alternative versions of Masters and other models. Maybe "time shifted" stuff like henchmen or enforcer versions of models. They're have been quite a few time travel shenanigans in the fluff.  The line about "but not it's title" makes me hope we'll see something like Avatars that opened new ways to play the same Master/crew.

Screenshot_20200923-102645.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A foreshadowing for sure.

Aren't the Avatar names "titles"?  So I could say Viktoria is my Leader, and take either Avatar of Slaughter or traditional Plentiful (2) Viktoria.  an interesting revelation.

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

The avatar models are official proxies for the emissaries so I don't think we'll be picking Avatar Masters

Pic related shows that they're willing to change what already released models count as. I don't think we'll see Avatars like they were in 1st or even 2nd. But I could see Avatars bring used as alternative titled masters.  Or in other ways. ((Please bring back Simulcrum 29))

Screenshot_20200923-120415.png

2 hours ago, touchdown said:

The avatar models are official proxies for the emissaries so I don't think we'll be picking Avatar Masters but if they do it some alternate version of the masters (and maybe henchmen?)

Of course, why bring back old model types for only ~12 of the ~50 masters when you can sell ~50 new Master models!

So long, Viktoria: Avatar of Slaughter.... hello, Viktoria: The Slaughterer!

• Haha 1