Data from the App

4thstringer

I asked this on AWP and DZ suggested tagging @kyle and asking here.   Any chance we can get a look at the data collected by the app?  I'm thinking things like seeing what masters are most chosen into which strats, which schemes are most chosen, which factions are getting the most play, or which masters are the most popular in each faction.  The kind of thing we used to be able to get from that tracking website, but since the app is more in use, it should be more interesting data.  If the data is only in db format, I wouldn't mind helping to find the answers to these questions, but I suspect that Wyrd already has them.

If not I totally get it, but figured I would ask.

I'm not a fan.  I use the app for setups and rarely track scores / complete games in there, so I know the data is already going to be pretty bad.  I can also see big regional / country differences in app usage v physical cards.

If wyrd already has the data, good for them.  If they use it/dont use it, it's their call.  I don't think 'cause it's there' is reason for anyone other than the owners of the system / app to have it.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, muraki said:

I'm not a fan.  I use the app for setups and rarely track scores / complete games in there, so I know the data is already going to be pretty bad.  I can also see big regional / country differences in app usage v physical cards.

If wyrd already has the data, good for them.  If they use it/dont use it, it's their call.  I don't think 'cause it's there' is reason for anyone other than the owners of the system / app to have it.

Thats part of why I want the "what did people take" more than the scoring on it.  That seems like really unreliable data

Still not a fan.  It's unreliable data + any data is still easy to misconstrue.  Not to mention the GDPR / etc concerns that other people brought up.

I get it, I love messy data + digging into it to try and find trends, but a game like this has so many moving pieces that without a holistic view it'll be hard to quantify.  But then again, I'm also against anything that can be weaponized by a fan base.  Aka, if the data shows X master (say nellie) is in a majority of lists... how soon before someone starts saying she needs to be nerfed because the usage data proves she's over the curve?  And how soon before someone else starts making dummy games just to boost their viewpoint in the data?

Personally, I think the data must be a garbage heap that is only good for the most rudimentary analysis (like those manga popularity contest they do after 100/200/etc chapters).  But again, not something I'd ever expect to be publicized.

It's true that differences in how people use the app would render much of the data about win rates unreliable. But you could get a sense for things like how many lists people tend to have, etc.

And the data contains no personal identifying information, it's literally just Malifaux stuff, and there's an option that is off by default to check that you are OK with Wyrd using your usage data, so there shouldn't be legal issues with that at least.

19 hours ago, dzlier said:

It's true that differences in how people use the app would render much of the data about win rates unreliable. But you could get a sense for things like how many lists people tend to have, etc.

And the data contains no personal identifying information, it's literally just Malifaux stuff, and there's an option that is off by default to check that you are OK with Wyrd using your usage data, so there shouldn't be legal issues with that at least.

Given the complexities involved, I'm not even going to try to parse the legal issues.  If wyrd is ok with it, in some shape or form, awesome, if not, that's understandable too.