Cornelius Basse (Frontier Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

On 9/10/2020 at 5:51 AM, Joooohan said:

Shameless plug, but if you are interested in some Mr. Basse in action we've got a video up with him verus Jack Daw.  The link is below, we had fun with it and hopefully it's enjoyable for others :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDDQ4e92Qc

Put off watching this for ages because I didn't want to spare the time, finally clicked it and realised it is 18 minutes xD

The deployment confused me, though - did he not use Home on the Range? EDIT: watched another video of yours with Basse. looks like your opponent is misplaying Home On The Range and only getting 1 inch instead of 1 inch per Home on the Range. Should get 5+ extra inches.

Pretty sweet use of Frontiersman, though. Definitely makes them look a lot stronger than people give them credit for. Although at the same time, I can't believe a Necropunk costs the same amount xD

Pale Rider is unsurprisingly a devastating scheme runner, but makes me hopeful our Rough Riders can do a decent replacement for that (at a fraction of the cost).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, dannydb said:

out of interest anyone tried hiring the malisarus re, sandworm and crocket in a basse crew? with basse andhis henchman that 4 min 3 models and a min 2 model that makes them two of them attack out of activation 

Super keen to see this! Provides some solid melee beaters to complement all that shooting.

29 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Super keen to see this! Provides some solid melee beaters to complement all that shooting.

While it looks nifty on paper, it's hard to pull off to full effect.

If you want the most, you're going to need to give Crockett Soulstone Cache, so that's another 3+SS you're going to need to spend, as given his role, getting him within the aura to recoup is another wrinkle. Else the trigger for max effect is going to be hard to come by.

And depending on the targets and terrain, it's a lot of investment for a Stat 5 (less mathwise if they have cover). It's absolutely something that can be cheated above by a lot of models.

He's also 2AP, and no easy access to more (throw Amina in there, and that's potentially 2 more), but it's resource intensive beyond her SS cost (masks for Obey, crows for Burn Out, the extra discards for Scent).

It's definitely one of those "if it works, it's awesomes" builds, but I can see it failing more than succeeding. Especially given Crockett is resilient as a wet paper bag to ranged attacks. D/W5 and 6H should be hardly a challenge.

1 hour ago, dannydb said:

out of interest anyone tried hiring the malisarus re, sandworm and crocket in a basse crew? with basse andhis henchman that 4 min 3 models and a min 2 model that makes them two of them attack out of activation 

Morgan's answer appears to be arcanist heavy, so not quite a frontier list. If you are going to try it I would also look at ullr as a beast that allows extra shots from Crockett. It's almost certainly too much built into ideal circumstances, but imagine the fun if ullr let's Crockett shoot who then let's the rex eat the target...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adran said:

Morgan's answer appears to be arcanist heavy, so not quite a frontier list. If you are going to try it I would also look at ullr as a beast that allows extra shots from Crockett. It's almost certainly too much built into ideal circumstances, but imagine the fun if ullr let's Crockett shoot who then let's the rex eat the target...

Yeah, with the inclusion of the dino, as well as being in the ExSo forum it should have been obvious.

But in my defense, I am quite stupid. :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

While it looks nifty on paper, it's hard to pull off to full effect.

If you want the most, you're going to need to give Crockett Soulstone Cache, so that's another 3+SS you're going to need to spend, as given his role, getting him within the aura to recoup is another wrinkle. Else the trigger for max effect is going to be hard to come by.

And depending on the targets and terrain, it's a lot of investment for a Stat 5 (less mathwise if they have cover). It's absolutely something that can be cheated above by a lot of models.

He's also 2AP, and no easy access to more (throw Amina in there, and that's potentially 2 more), but it's resource intensive beyond her SS cost (masks for Obey, crows for Burn Out, the extra discards for Scent).

It's definitely one of those "if it works, it's awesomes" builds, but I can see it failing more than succeeding. Especially given Crockett is resilient as a wet paper bag to ranged attacks. D/W5 and 6H should be hardly a challenge.

I'm sort of envisioning pulling off Paul's extra damage 0-2 times per game. I just think sand worm and rex are generically good models that fill a role in the crew (frontline beater) better than the other keyword option (Reichard). I haven't played the crew yet, so is all theorycraft from me!

But the threat of the possibility of it happening is what will make Paul good, I hope. I intend to send him as a little scheme runner that turns into a massive threat if the enemy isn't careful (or perhaps an anti-schemer given his abilities).

So if you're an ES player, there are obviously reasons and situations when you'd want to pick Basse. But if you're a Basse player, what would make you want to declare ES over Guild? Rex is an obvious answer for the beast-gimmick list (and/or possibly Ullr or The Damned). Anything else? Any upgrades, versatiles, or OOK picks that seem exciting?

56 minutes ago, NoisyAssassin said:

So if you're an ES player, there are obviously reasons and situations when you'd want to pick Basse. But if you're a Basse player, what would make you want to declare ES over Guild? Rex is an obvious answer for the beast-gimmick list (and/or possibly Ullr or The Damned). Anything else? Any upgrades, versatiles, or OOK picks that seem exciting?

Beast gimmicks are the main thing I can think of. Guild has Lead-Lined Coat, as well as the Pale Rider + Phiona.

Our upgrades aren't as raw powerful as LLC, but they have some fantastic effects that have a much more subtle power to them. The upgrade to remove markers as a bonus action for instance seems super good (although it seems better in other crews).

That said, we have the Emissary. There's possibly some other synergies/stand out OOK models that will end up being helpful.

I'll be declaring Explorer's Society even though I'd probably be a bit better to declare Guild in casual games, since I want to practice playing it as my proper second faction xD

EDIT: Disclaimer - I have no idea what I'm talking about yet. Haven't put the crew on the table yet.

Hidden Agenda deals surprisingly large amount of damage. Flush with cash on Pathfinder means you gain soulstones when traps die. Model 9 provides similar thing to Sand Worm with its X marks the spot, so Basse can ignore friendly fire. Hopeful prospects aren't that bad when shooting at models engaged by the Worm, and they can sometimes change to Pathfinder/Austringer/Rough Rider. Mr Ngaatoro can provide 2 focuses when Obeying something else other than Reichart or Basse. Bellhop porter can trow junk and create dust clouds. You can always throw Jesse on the mix to turn clouds to scraps/soulstones. Vernon and Welles are great addition when facing someone like Zoraida, and of course Emissary is super great model.

As for OOK - Tidecaller can toss models around, Winston sets up the deck, and Eva/Operatives gain positives when shooting through dust clouds. Also, Eva may Lock Away the cloud, denying quite large amount of terrain.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cedar said:

Hidden Agenda deals surprisingly large amount of damage. Flush with cash on Pathfinder means you gain soulstones when traps die. Model 9 provides similar thing to Sand Worm with its X marks the spot, so Basse can ignore friendly fire. Hopeful prospects aren't that bad when shooting at models engaged by the Worm, and they can sometimes change to Pathfinder/Austringer/Rough Rider. Mr Ngaatoro can provide 2 focuses when Obeying something else other than Reichart or Basse. Bellhop porter can trow junk and create dust clouds. You can always throw Jesse on the mix to turn clouds to scraps/soulstones. Vernon and Welles are great addition when facing someone like Zoraida, and of course Emissary is super great model.

As for OOK - Tidecaller can toss models around, Winston sets up the deck, and Eva/Operatives gain positives when shooting through dust clouds. Also, Eva may Lock Away the cloud, denying quite large amount of terrain.

Ohhh yeah, I forgot about Soulstone farming with traps. That's so good! Awesome points all around.

Just a note that the Sand Worm and Hopefuls don't work well together - Sand Worm only helps Frontier models.

9 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Just a note that the Sand Worm and Hopefuls don't work well together - Sand Worm only helps Frontier models.

Right, I forgot. Another model that might be helpful is Artemis (Nimble and unimpeded for 7 SS), Austera (Better Austringer who can cycle cards), Grave Goo (Suddenly dust clouds become Hazardous), the Damned (another beast for Crockett) or Botanist (You can feed him quite easily, especially if you have Jessie as well).

On the other hand, Guild certainly has has better way of dealing with summons, so that's something to keep in mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, belorey said:

If you play both Botanist and Jessie you can use the Dust to drop a Scrap and you get a Glow and Soulstone each turn.

Yeah, Wastrel models are quite good at it. Was just wondering about Frontier since he said we could easily grow him, and even easier with Jessie.

But is probably just a rules oversight unless I missed something.

34 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Wait, how does Botanist work with Frontier?

Dust clouds don't count because they're removed outside of activations :(

The botanist can use its shockwaves to remove dust markers if you want for the growth tokens. May not be the best way to grow, but it's a relatively easy way to get it to work as its easy to get dust markers out in good places. 

• Thanks 1

I just realised Austringer with Flush With Cash is going to be reallllly good at Vendetta.

Get the minion-only ability of flush with cash, can negate two attacks a turn potentially, and can score Vendetta from safety.

You won't get any soulstones refunded, but such is life.

Might be overkill since they're already in such a safe position, though.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:11 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Another cool combo - trained raptors can summon off of each others corpses, so if you have two in an area, they may be surprisingly difficult to remove.

Not sure what the payoff would be, but would be nice for Paul Crockett. Not worth the 12 stones by itself, but maybe there are applications.

This is why I like Austringers.

You kill an Austringer. Summon a Raptor. Raptor uses Austringer corpse to Summon a Raptor. Either Raptor dies, Summon a Raptor. And if you can get an extra corpse in there, a third Raptor.

If your opponent isn't capable of doing Min3 twice (thrice), or pulse/blast, it's a perpetual motion engine of exploding feathers.

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2020 at 10:58 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, Wastrel models are quite good at it. Was just wondering about Frontier since he said we could easily grow him, and even easier with Jessie.

But is probably just a rules oversight unless I missed something.

I'm always thinking about running Botanist with Treasure map, so he can eat different types of markers - like, for example, dust Clouds. sorry, I forgot to mention that :) 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Put off watching this for ages because I didn't want to spare the time, finally clicked it and realised it is 18 minutes xD

The deployment confused me, though - did he not use Home on the Range? EDIT: watched another video of yours with Basse. looks like your opponent is misplaying Home On The Range and only getting 1 inch instead of 1 inch per Home on the Range. Should get 5+ extra inches.

Pretty sweet use of Frontiersman, though. Definitely makes them look a lot stronger than people give them credit for. Although at the same time, I can't believe a Necropunk costs the same amount xD

Pale Rider is unsurprisingly a devastating scheme runner, but makes me hopeful our Rough Riders can do a decent replacement for that (at a fraction of the cost).

I am the Basse player and up until recently I did not realize that Home on the range added +1 for each model.  That is pretty sweet in some scenarios for sure, unfortunately our last video we put on Youtube I didn't take full use of Home on the Range (next time I will for sure) but still had a decent game against Lynch none the less.

As for as Frontiersman, I like them seemingly more than others.  Are they the best 5 point model? no but they are decent and work well with the crew I think.

In the game versus Lynch I tried out a Rough Rider for the first time and while he is not as durable as the pale rider (4 points less so can't have it all) they seem to fit into the mobile feel of the crew and definitely looking forward to the model release.

• Like 2