Cornelius Basse (Frontier Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

1 hour ago, PrometheanZer0 said:

How are folks building their ES Basse crews right now? I have no interest in Guild, but I love his fluff and flavor a whole lot. 

I really like the Bellhop Porter and Jessie in Fronteir Crews. Both can take a significant advantage of the Dust Cloud Markers. The Bellhop Porter is great because it is another denial front-liner to help protect your backline, and it has different defensive tech than the rest of the Crew (Armor + Shielded) meaning your opponent is not likely to bring models that ignore Armor. Jessie as a piece is a mish-mashy mech, however her combination of Skills makes her an excellent denial piece into specific Scheme Pools (which is a good place for a Versatile to be!)

I also REALLY like Frontiersman; I feel that they are an excellent 5 stone model and hire 1-2 in every list

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

I really like the Bellhop Porter and Jessie in Fronteir Crews. Both can take a significant advantage of the Dust Cloud Markers. The Bellhop Porter is great because it is another denial front-liner to help protect your backline, and it has different defensive tech than the rest of the Crew (Armor + Shielded) meaning your opponent is not likely to bring models that ignore Armor. Jessie as a piece is a mish-mashy mech, however her combination of Skills makes her an excellent denial piece into specific Scheme Pools (which is a good place for a Versatile to be!)

I also REALLY like Frontiersman; I feel that they are an excellent 5 stone model and hire 1-2 in every list

What do you like about Frontiersman?

5 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

What do you like about Frontiersman?

Core box Basse likes to play front to back. You have Basse and Reichart on the front line taking damage, and you have the Frontiersmen positioned 6" behind them. On Turn 1, they Concentrate and Walk / Drop a Scheme Marker. Then, they essentially perform an Overwatch function for the crew. If your opponent decides to attack Basse or Reichart, you can discard multiple cards, using your Focus, to seriously punish whatever model made the attack. Rather than plinking several shots off over multiple Activations, you can focus all your fire on a single model during a single Activation. 

Furthermore, they are very cheap sources of both Home on the Range as well as Dust Clouds, which is super helpful. 

They are also very resistant to one of the more significant problems with cheap models; getting shot off the board. They are super weak to mobile mele models, but hey its a 5ss minion. It should have a weakness. 

This is in addition to potential healing off of low Tomes, and their Follow My Path allows them and your other models to make the most of their abilities. For example, often Reichart will engage a model at the start of the Turn, for the purposes of damaging them, gaining Friendly Fire for himself, w/e. The Frontiersman can Follow My Path to move Reichart out of engagement so that he gets a clear shot on his own Turn. This is great because many cheap models with guns tend to drop immensely in value once mele combat begins! 

Also you can do a fun little trick where Reichart uses Bring It to intentionally get attacked. That way you get a free attack with Hold Down, 1-3 extra attacks from Frontersmen, and then the rest of Reichart's Activation! It's cheeky and memey!

• Thanks 2

I'm just not feeling this Basse at all.  he has some definite plusses: Dust Clouds not going away is great, the Frontier ignores Concealing is really good (but too short range), and the increased TN within 10" is super useful (but then his abilities are mostly longer range than the original, so will he always be within :aura10?  It does ruin Summoners though, so I love that part).  Beyond that, he just feels a bit flat to me.  Part of that is definitely because I wanted him Beast focused sharing a Pig Enforcer/Minion with Ulix, but the other part is he just doesn't feel different enough, in either rules or pose.

Pearl, on the other hand, is superb.

Corny's Shackles are low damage, but as long as you can get that first hit in (and give Staggered), the next two should be all but automatic, and then they've got Slow, Staggered AND Stunned. If you're hitting outside 1" against an opponent that doesn't have 2" melee, that's essentially Paralyzed (and 6-9 damage).

It's not the chick-chick boom of OG Corny, but it's got the potential of really frustrating someone who really wants a specific melee model to do stuff.

EDIT: Dumb question, but the TYS trigger on Challenge, is the pulse from the target or from Basse? If the latter, then there's your first action, just Challenge a friendly model, throw in a 6:crow, and you're attacking Move on your target at essentially Stat 8.