Cornelius Basse (Frontier Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

1 hour ago, Joooohan said:

As for as Frontiersman, I like them seemingly more than others.  Are they the best 5 point model? no but they are decent and work well with the crew I think.

The problem is that you have, by so far, a better Minion for only +1 SS. Why are you gonna play with Frontiersman when you have a Pathfinder and his traps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joooohan said:

As for as Frontiersman, I like them seemingly more than others.  Are they the best 5 point model? no but they are decent and work well with the crew I think.

I’m with you on this. I like taking 1-2 as scheme runners. Yes they’ll die to anything that decides to engage them, but by then they’ll have put down a few markers for scoring because they got out early from Home on the Range. 

4 hours ago, Joooohan said:

In the game versus Lynch I tried out a Rough Rider for the first time and while he is not as durable as the pale rider (4 points less so can't have it all) they seem to fit into the mobile feel of the crew and definitely looking forward to the model release.

I bought the Wild Ones box, partially to get them early... Which means I better get on to assembly!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Recently I've been playing Basse and I've found the Frontiersmen to be pretty good! They perform well for me as an Overwatch mechanic. Their ideal place is 6 in behind Basse and Reichart. When an enemy attacks Basse, pitch 2 cards and punish them for it. Using them in this way means I dont need to stone for cards because I only care about the number of cards in my hand, not their quality, and primarily use them for reduction. Home on the Range means that they can spend Turn 1 Concentrating, then Interacting. Dropping those random Scheme Markers allows Basse to snag a Joker you incidentally flip, or refill your hand so you can pitch more cards for the Frontiersman. They are geneting more Actions for themselves later, which is pretty efficient. Make sure they end their Activation with a Focus. Their innate positive gets around friendly fire, and the Focus allows them to get around their own Dust Clouds, if they need to.

They are also great because they don't care when in the Turn they Activate. You can Activate them early to create Severe Terrain for Basse, you can Activate them in the middle after Basse has loaded something with Injured and thrown them into the open, or you can Activate them last and use Follow My Path to negate Friendly Fire, meaning they don't suffer the same problems other Projectile models do for Activating after something has already Charged in. 

Frontier is a Keyword I think that likes playing a Front-to-Back game. Frontiersmen are strikingly resilent to guns, whichs helps a lot in that regard. Sure, they are super weak to mobile mele units, but I think it's ok that they have a weakness. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Recently I've been playing Basse and I've found the Frontiersmen to be pretty good! They perform well for me as an Overwatch mechanic. Their ideal place is 6 in behind Basse and Reichart. When an enemy attacks Basse, pitch 2 cards and punish them for it. Using them in this way means I dont need to stone for cards because I only care about the number of cards in my hand, not their quality, and primarily use them for reduction. Home on the Range means that they can spend Turn 1 Concentrating, then Interacting. Dropping those random Scheme Markers allows Basse to snag a Joker you incidentally flip, or refill your hand so you can pitch more cards for the Frontiersman. They are geneting more Actions for themselves later, which is pretty efficient. Make sure they end their Activation with a Focus. Their innate positive gets around friendly fire, and the Focus allows them to get around their own Dust Clouds, if they need to.

They are also great because they don't care when in the Turn they Activate. You can Activate them early to create Severe Terrain for Basse, you can Activate them in the middle after Basse has loaded something with Injured and thrown them into the open, or you can Activate them last and use Follow My Path to negate Friendly Fire, meaning they don't suffer the same problems other Projectile models do for Activating after something has already Charged in. 

Frontier is a Keyword I think that likes playing a Front-to-Back game. Frontiersmen are strikingly resilent to guns, whichs helps a lot in that regard. Sure, they are super weak to mobile mele units, but I think it's ok that they have a weakness. 

I like the idea of pairing then with Basse. Plus, if push comes to shove they can charge into melee and drop some tomes to heal Basse!

11 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

How are you finding Reichart? Without LLC I find him a bit hit or miss so far for ten stones.

He's very tanky in some situations, and very squishy in others. I bring 9 stones, with the intention of using all of them to reduce damage for Reichart and Basse. He is really good at "reducing damage" by maximizing his Disguised and 2" reach. Follow my Path helps a lot with that. He just kind of crumples to models with Min 3 and 2" reach tho. 

The best thing about him is definitely Bring It. That combined with Caught in the Quicksand can seriously misposition models. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mycellanious said:

He's very tanky in some situations, and very squishy in others. I bring 9 stones, with the intention of using all of them to reduce damage for Reichart and Basse. He is really good at "reducing damage" by maximizing his Disguised and 2" reach. Follow my Path helps a lot with that. He just kind of crumples to models with Min 3 and 2" reach tho. 

The best thing about him is definitely Bring It. That combined with Caught in the Quicksand can seriously misposition models. 

Makes sense. I also haven't had a chance to pair him with Rough Riders yet (though they're finally assembled!), so keen to see how he works out with access to extra movement and healing!

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Makes sense. I also haven't had a chance to pair him with Rough Riders yet (though they're finally assembled!), so keen to see how he works out with access to extra movement and healing!

they are ok. They seem pretty card intensive for the crew, which doesn't really have card draw. Their stats are REALLY unimpressive

3 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

they are ok. They seem pretty card intensive for the crew, which doesn't really have card draw. Their stats are REALLY unimpressive

Yeah, they may be better in Wastrel where they draw cards with the upgrade.

Stat 5+ shooting doesn't seem too bad, but it is their bonus actions that make me love them. A heal on any tome (even an ace) is awesome, and Ride With Me can be really useful as well (although yeah, I'd not feed a card to it every turn).

Dang. I missed out last time Wild Ones were available. I could never justify the expense when I already had Wastel models.

Figure now might be a good time to indulge and christen the new addition. Plus I bet the Ramones'll look great with V&W. 

I appreciate the thoughts from you two on Basse he's the last of the Explorer masters I've really looked at. Overall, do you prefer him in one faction of ther other? I know nothing about how the Guild plays anymore.

1 hour ago, DonQOT said:

Dang. I missed out last time Wild Ones were available. I could never justify the expense when I already had Wastel models.

Figure now might be a good time to indulge and christen the new addition. Plus I bet the Ramones'll look great with V&W. 

I appreciate the thoughts from you two on Basse he's the last of the Explorer masters I've really looked at. Overall, do you prefer him in one faction of ther other? I know nothing about how the Guild plays anymore.

Haven't tried him in Guild and only a bit in ES, but my impression is he might be better in Guild (LLC and the two riders & Phiona?), but not sure.

The Flush With Cash upgrade has given me some pretty insane turn 2s, especially since Basse can 'reload' on cards by picking up a bunch of scheme markers.

1 hour ago, DonQOT said:

Oh, also worth mentioning the models all look great (even if the cards don't xD). However, I don't think that my V&W will end up matching my Wild Ones.

I've got junkyard bases for them with wild west sand. The paint jobs are going to be battle-damaged vehicles with a 'gritty' feel. For Vernon & Welles, I'll be going for super posh. So for me personally they'll clash.

Mechanically, I also think there's a bit of redundancy there, but hopefully GG2 has some good "zip all over the map" scenarios!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NoisyAssassin said:

I haven't put Frontier on the table yet, but on paper Reichart seemed like he was just a few more triggers away from being solid. Since that's exactly what he got I'm excited to try him out! 

Right. Before you could always justify an alternative in either explorers or guild for the points. Emissary in explorers or rider in guild perhaps. Now he's seems to be worth the points. It's funny, I actually tried him last night in guild and both my opponent and I were surprised he didn't have the execute trigger. Fixed! 

5 hours ago, Trample said:

It's funny, I actually tried him last night in guild and both my opponent and I were surprised he didn't have the execute trigger. Fixed! 

That he didn't have it was so bewildering.  Giving it to him felt necessary from just a "common sense" perspective.  Not that I will mind that he does have it, at all.  I love the model, and I'm glad he's going to get to be the beast he looks like he should be.

Now if only the Rex gave Reichart free :crow.  😄

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Basse was already pretty good (imo) I'm not sure why the Reichart changes happened. But w/e.

Basse was good, but you could often leave Reichart out and take an extra rough Rider/Austringer/Pathfinder and be better off.

Now he's massively boosted his murder potential.  Bring It to drag a model into range, then two Claw attacks and, cards permitting, a lot of things gonna die.

• 2 weeks later...