Lucas McCabe (Wastrel Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

4 minutes ago, DonQOT said:

No. I still have a big bug up my butt about taking ook without a specific plan in mind. But B&C seem great in just about everything.  Their synergy with Wastrel seems even better than most with all your extra card draw and scrap for Calypso recursion. I definitely agree. Goodness and you could trade artifacts between them, couldn't you...disgusting, I love it (and hate it). Calypso with precise is just mean.

Artifacts are keyword and minion only, so no artifacts for them.

They'd be quite ridiculous if they could hold them for sure xD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just played my second Wastrel game.

I found this sequence on Iggy Pup to be insane, and did it basically every turn starting turn 1:

• Make an artifact with an existing scrap.
  • Toss the artifact 12" and teleport to the new location.
  • Drop a scrap to prepare for next turn (and to give card draw to the models in the area).

Just repeated that every turn and it is so damn good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Just played my second Wastrel game.

I found this sequence on Iggy Pup to be insane, and did it basically every turn starting turn 1:

• Make an artifact with an existing scrap.
  • Toss the artifact 12" and teleport to the new location.
  • Drop a scrap to prepare for next turn (and to give card draw to the models in the area).

Just repeated that every turn and it is so damn good.

That's a good plan, it just needs you to have got the Scrap there to start the chain going (and Luna is probably one of the best models to start the scrap going, but as you say she is also very good at using the scrap.)

Just now, Adran said:

That's a good plan, it just needs you to have got the Scrap there to start the chain going (and Luna is probably one of the best models to start the scrap going, but as you say she is also very good at using the scrap.)

Yeah, it's real awkward xD

If we're lucky, Hucksters will do it, but that is hardly a given. There's also Jessie, Daeva, Beebe & Calypso, and Eyes and Ears, but they're all a bit awkward.

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Also, I have to reiterate how much I love Rough Riders.

They took Ride With Me, one of the best bonus actions in the game, AND STAPLED AN AFTER RESOLVING HEAL TRIGGER TO IT??? SO GOOD!!!

Still fragil af, but I've learnt to like them with Basse.

1 minute ago, ElPuto said:

Still fragil af, but I've learnt to like them with Basse.

Yeah, my favourite trick with them is to run in to danger, then Ride With Me on an ally and run away again.

You can get the trigger for the heal and heal an ally.

I consider them expendable, though, so don't expect them to live past turn 3, as long as they produce some value in the first 3 turns.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Also, I have to reiterate how much I love Rough Riders.

They took Ride With Me, one of the best bonus actions in the game, AND STAPLED AN AFTER RESOLVING HEAL TRIGGER TO IT??? SO GOOD!!!

True, but needing a 7 means if you're low on cards it's a uncertain action.  It's how I know how bad my opponent's hand is, aka if they kick up dust and reposition instead of ride with me, well time to lay down the hurt as they're holding a bunch of 1's!

9 minutes ago, muraki said:

True, but needing a 7 means if you're low on cards it's a uncertain action.  It's how I know how bad my opponent's hand is, aka if they kick up dust and reposition instead of ride with me, well time to lay down the hurt as they're holding a bunch of 1's!

Because its an after resolving trigger, you can get the heal even if you don't get the ride with me. So on a 7 you get a 5" push. On a tome you get a 1/2/3 heal on a model within 3" and its possible to get both. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Because its an after resolving trigger, you can get the heal even if you don't get the ride with me. So on a 7 you get a 5" push. On a tome you get a 1/2/3 heal on a model within 3" and its possible to get both. 

You're 100% right. I just usually want the move more than I want the heal :) . It is a seriously good free action tho.

• Agree 1

Tried this in Recover Evidence with Leave Your Mark and some other scheme:

• Rollins & Iggy pup
  • Intrepid Emissary
  • Archivist
  • Cherri/Sidir
  • Desper Laraux
  • Rough Rider.
  • 7 stones

I ran out of stones on turn 5, but it still felt like the right number. I was against Yan Lo and ended in a 6-6 tie. Emissary felt awesome, hitting for severe 6 with blast damage. Cherri did serious work in the damage department. The Rough Rider basically spent the game repositioning Cherri or getting the heal trigger off (which denied first point of assassinate for my opponent). Desper gets the job done with Don't Mind Me and hits surprisingly hard. Archivist got one useful attack off and soaked about 13 damage before he died, and his initiative was super useful.

Overall the entire crew felt useful and worthwhile, although I was a bit sad about the lack of an extra scrap marker so I could see swapping out the Rough Rider (for a Huckster in a schemier pool, or like a Daeva?). But I think it was fine, I just skipped making an upgrade one turn to get the extra card draw.

• Like 2

The second scrap is an interesting one. Overall, it's not really necessary, but it does unlock the "create an artifact AND leave a scrap behind for your crew to draw a card" every single turn. It just feels so much smoother to do that, as the crew is quite card hungry (it isn't uncommon for me to use up 3 severes quite quickly).

ES McCabe feels significantly weakened by the changes?

It makes him more artifact-focused, but TT is better at artifcts.

Althoughhhh Adventure Awaits makes it so all wastrels have their TNs reduced, no distance or LOS? That's so damn sweet!! Hucksters have the best 'stat' for secret passage in the game. Rough Riders can ride with me more easily.

16 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Hucksters have the best 'stat' for secret passage in the game.

imagine being so driven to scam random people, that you would feel the need to have to be better at getting in and out than a mass murderer with a choreographed entrance and escape plan

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

ES McCabe feels significantly weakened by the changes?

Althoughhhh Adventure Awaits makes it so all wastrels have their TNs reduced, no distance or LOS? That's so damn sweet!! Hucksters have the best 'stat' for secret passage in the game. Rough Riders can ride with me more easily.

Isn't this an enormous buff to cryptologists? If you set up a model near a scrap marker and had an artifact attached that turn, you're getting fast and draw a card for a 7.

And maybe this is what Jessie needs too? a 4:maskto get a soulstone seems worth it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, touchdown said:

Isn't this an enormous buff to cryptologists? If you set up a model near a scrap marker and had an artifact attached that turn, you're getting fast and draw a card for a 7.

And maybe this is what Jessie needs too? a 4:maskto get a soulstone seems worth it now.

Yeah, I'm a bit higher on the change now. Secret passage on 6, ride with me and leap on 5, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:22 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Hi ! I'm very interested to get more of your toughts about this, as I'm a new McCabe player and REALLY struggling to decide between TT and ES for him ahah

Just now, Grooty said:

Hi ! I'm very interested to get more of your toughts about this, as I'm a new McCabe player and REALLY struggling to decide between TT and ES for him ahah

I have played a magnificent like 3 games with ES McCabe, and in a few weeks I'll play TT McCabe. So I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Right, that out of the way...

One of the key differences between the two factions is minions. TT simply has better minions (samurai, Jorogumo, etc). So you get much better mileage out of the artifacts there is my impression because you can put them on stronger models.

In ES, what we have going for us is our better synergies with some of the enforcers. We have stuff like Beebe & Calypso (to drop scrap), Archivist (for initiative, card draw, and other tech), Emissary, etc.

No idea how it'll shake out with the changes, but I assume they favour TT.

That's reaaaaally interesting, thanks a lot ! 

That's interesting because, with the new "Adventure Awaits !", it tends to maximize keyword models. So, I assume that less versatile will be taken, and it will be interesting to find a good brawler now that McCabe is less efficient in melee. And it will depends to wich master you put with him to cover the 4 new strategies... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grooty said:

That's reaaaaally interesting, thanks a lot ! 

That's interesting because, with the new "Adventure Awaits !", it tends to maximize keyword models. So, I assume that less versatile will be taken, and it will be interesting to find a good brawler now that McCabe is less efficient in melee. And it will depends to wich master you put with him to cover the 4 new strategies... 

Yeah, worth tinkering and experimenting!

• 1 month later...

Just played Wastrel for the first time since the changes.

The TNs felt absolutely trivial (until McCabe died). I think it'll be a high priority for any crew that can to kill McCabe to shut down the entire crew.

McCabe was still pretty good for ripping apart armor 2 models, but then so is Sidir when he whacks things for 6 damage. And Desper. So the whole crew is just really efficient against armor still.

McCabe's overall damage of course is just... Gone. I felt like I couldn't contest an area as easily now without all those aoe spams. I didn't use the curse explosion a single time as I wasn't focused on testing it out. I imagine it is probably quite good, though, especially if spammed 3 times.

Rough Riders continue to be mind-boggling good at times xD Not like overpowered or anything, but they just amaze me with how many problems they solve. But it is even moreso now that a 5 of tomes is enough to set off the ride + heal.