Discard target Marker

EmeraldWeb

Question

I have a strange question: what is the "Discard target Marker"? 
Is it just a misprint/typo or game мechanic different from Remove
Because all Markers from game table are removed (Remove target Marker) and all things what we are discards (Discard a card) - cards from hand, soulstones and passtokens from pull, and tokens from models.

Example - Mecharachnid:
image.png.4f48eb1d8a1564e72f5bd74d3b87bfd2.png

Example - all other models with "Discard target Marker" mechanic.
image.thumb.png.01ae585301ff87fa5ba51c80e523e5d8.png

Example standart "Remove target Marker" - Molly:
image.png.1859555a35837725792b6433c60103f7.png

Thank you for your attention.

• Agree 1

7 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, solkan said:

If you'll notice, that's nine to one for "discard target" vs. "remove target".  It's the same thing, but "discard" is the more common word used.

If you'll notice, that's 8 (Discard) to 35+ (Remove)
image.thumb.png.dc65ef5c2c6b273585b4e833cba12ce5.png

It' a game, a system. You can't just throw some words and use synonyms. If you do that, next time "trigger" will be "event" or "charge" will be "assault".

• Like 1

Just now, EmeraldWeb said:

It' a game, a system. You can't just throw some words and use synonyms.

🤷‍♀️

Fact is that "discard" and "remove" are used to mean the same thing.  It's worth pointing out that because of how the models are done, counting the number of models with a phrase is less meaningful.  You basically have to count by unique effect instead.

So you've got 
Actions that use "remove" on markers:

• Grim Feast
  • Frantic Search
  • Forage
  • Appraise

Actions that use "discard" on markers:

• Temporary Limb
  • Lick Their Corpses
  • Scrounge for Relics
  • Follow a Lead

I'm not going to speculate on why that is the way it is, but that's the way it is.

• Agree 1

If you look through the rule book, then you are capable of discarding things other than cards. There isn't a formal definition of discard that would apply to markers and tokens, but both discard tokens and tokens being removed from the game are used as synonyms through the rule book.

Malifaux does have several mechanics that require specific wording, but I don't think this is one of them.

9 minutes ago, Adran said:

If you look through the rule book, then you are capable of discarding things other than cards. There isn't a formal definition of discard that would apply to markers and tokens, but both discard tokens and tokens being removed from the game are used as synonyms through the rule book.

Malifaux does have several mechanics that require specific wording, but I don't think this is one of them.

When you "discard a card" - you discad it from hand, when you "remove a card" - you remove it from the game (Lucid Dreams).image.png.c6cd37d4f1882a9d279c2b8c4f62717c.png

And it's ok, because these are different things, player actions, for each word.

But if Remove and Discard Marker are the same things, so why don't you use the same word?
There is a base rule for documentation and game design  "One termin/entity - one word"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmeraldWeb said:

When you "discard a card" - you discad it from hand, when you "remove a card" - you remove it from the game (Lucid Dreams).image.png.c6cd37d4f1882a9d279c2b8c4f62717c.png

And it's ok, because it's a different things, player actions, for each word.

But if Remove and Discard Marker are the same things, so why don't you use the same word?

You are right, for cards the rules do spell out they are different things. But that's mainly because there are rules for both discarding a card and removing a card from the game, where as there aren't rules to say what either discarding a marker or removing a marker actually does (or Token), it relies on using the English definition in those cases I think.

I don't know why they haven't used the same words. I can't see a pattern as to why some are discard and some are remove, but this sort of thing isn't always noticed in beta testing (The Public beta testing of the rules started 20 months ago, and you're the first person I know that noticed that the word was different). Each ability makes sense in what it does with its wording, which ever one they choose.

• Thanks 1