The Leader of the Society

Per the description blurb at Wayland Games for the Explorer's Society Faction Book.

"Originally established as a means to reinvigorate the long-dulled sense of adventure of its founder, the Explorer’s Society has since expanded to focus on unfurling the mysteries of Malifaux and beyond. These aristocrats, dark tourists, and pioneers venture into the unknown corners of this world to seek knowledge, discover new locations, and hunt big game. While their motivations are unclear, their recent push to amass rare artefacts is not.

In Search of Greatness in the vast unknown, the Explorer's Society has masqueraded under the guise of curious adventurers for the better part of a decade. Recently, the keys to the society have been passed on to someone far more interested - and conniving than it's founder, and with the new leadership comes new ambitions. Their rapid expansion has drawn attention from every corner of Malifaux. Each new discovery is a victory for the Society, and to the victor go the spoils."

So while Cooper was the Founder, he is no longer the Leader. This makes things far more interesting going forward in my opinion.

I can see 2 arguments for two different parties for very different reasons but because we dont know everything certain things have to be assumed

Syndicate: (assumed to be the money grubbing - expand everywhere type of megacorp) The only main disconnect is that they likely don't share the "spirit" of the explorers, the consistent hunt for knowledge rather than cash. But the RAW gains from being the head of the society could be undoubtedly useful for both themselves in maybe trying to get competitors shot down and also good for the society itself for... funding reasons, could explain how they got the rocket and the line "Their rapid expansion has drawn attention"

spider king/queen: (assumed to be ravencroft and personal theories are correct, if not than its probably syndicate) Requires a slightly looser interpretation of the above quote but if the head of the society is specifically trying to leverage the vast bank of knowledge known than hes probably going to be it. Especially so if he is as zealous with the knowledge as he is with obtaining it. Along with that pre-becoming a spider he was an extremely well known figure to both mages and governments, from low down novice terrorists to even having ramos have to consult with him

I'm hoping the leader stays in the background. Either someone like Aucaman or Ludvig and Gretchin from the 10 Thunders book. Kind of like how we never saw Kitchener, Marlow or the old Oyabun take to the field. Gives the factions some mistique rather than the big bosses taking to the field, afterall, that's what minions are for!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Da Git said:

I'm hoping the leader stays in the background. Either someone like Aucaman or Ludvig and Gretchin from the 10 Thunders book. Kind of like how we never saw Kitchener, Marlow or the old Oyabun take to the field. Gives the factions some mistique rather than the big bosses taking to the field, afterall, that's what minions are for!

Have not read the 10T book but if aucaman was in charge he absolutely would not be in the background, especially if condor was all about rapid expansions 

21 hours ago, fire5tone said:

Have not read the 10T book but if aucaman was in charge he absolutely would not be in the background, especially if condor was all about rapid expansions 

You seem very sure considering all we've got is a name drop and a short blurb about the book... Or have I missed something?

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

You seem very sure considering all we've got is a name drop and a short blurb about the book... Or have I missed something?

And thats valid, but most of what I know about condor is that it is pretty much all over the place, I'm mostly going off my knowledge of old 1900s entrepreneurs they tend to buy or wipe out competitition and dont tend to like to be forgotten

1 minute ago, fire5tone said:

And thats valid, but most of what I know about condor is that it is pretty much all over the place, I'm mostly going off my knowledge of old 1900s entrepreneurs they tend to buy or wipe out competitition and dont tend to like to be forgotten

Well, I imagine they also didn't do the dirty work (battle) themselves, they have lessers to do that for them.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Well, I imagine they also didn't do the dirty work (battle) themselves, they have lessers to do that for them.

Also true, but running an over-aggressive megacorp isnt all battles, when negotiating for purchasing or "removing" company's or when talking to governments it would go to the head and in this case it would be aucamen

48 minutes ago, fire5tone said:

I admit I was a little assumptive about his character I primarily based what wasnt filled out with what happened near the time period

You may well be right... I was just pushing to see if you knew something we don't! 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Inefficiency_Expert said:

I should go back and re-read that. But yeah, an elderly woman with sharp features, that could easily be Gretchen. 

the descriptions very likely of gretchen, but its rather doubtable that shes the leader judging that the TT book already said her position, likely just a "forward face" for nexus judging by her having unknown "deep" connections