Faction packs

TheMechE

13 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

It's possible it was a limited print run, since faction packs were only really meant for players from the previous edition.

Not sure though!

Really? I think they sold all the cards in 2E as a pack as well per faction, It's also the only way to play certain masters like Yan Lo without printing out your own computer paper right now.

Or the app. I actually really like the app and use it when I'm with friends, but some people don't like using it.

4 minutes ago, TheMechE said:

Really? I think they sold all the cards in 2E as a pack as well per faction, It's also the only way to play certain masters like Yan Lo without printing out your own computer paper right now.

Or the app. I actually really like the app and use it when I'm with friends, but some people don't like using it.

Yeah, but it's also impossible to get those models/masters without using 2E ones.

So I think (but am not certain) those faction packs were aimed at existing supplies.

All new models will come with cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nathan Caroland has posted a few times about the faction decks.  I think the short version is:

- They went through at least three print runs of the decks.  It may not have seemed like it at the time, because the decks were shipping out (and selling out) pretty much as fast as they came in.

- They're done.

----

It's not the end of the world if the picture on the card doesn't match the model exactly.  At the moment a person has a few different options for cards:

1.  Play using the app.  If you've got a tablet or a big screen phone, it is fairly nice to be able to see both sides of a model's card at once.

2.  The print on demand service https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5162/Wyrd-Miniatures  

3.  Print out the cards from the PDF images.

Once upon a time I drove a thousand miles to a convention and realized that I left my M2E card binders on the living room table.  That pretty much converted me to an "Using the app is good enough" player, with the cards mostly for the other player's benefit or adoration.  :)  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Yeah, it's a product they keep selling as many as they make, and people ask for more.  Why would they continue to offer it?

I assume cause erratas / new model sculpts / etc make it one of those things that will eventually be less useful and just sit on shelves like all the m2e upgrade packs did (I still see them pop up on eBay / clearance places).

They were also way hard to explain to new players for some reason (as I remember from gencon).

On 8/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, LeperColony said:

Yeah, it's a product they keep selling as many as they make, and people ask for more.  Why would they continue to offer it?

Because the number of people asking for more gets lower each time they do a print run and nobody wants stock hanging around.  Its not like the cards aren't available in boxes, the app, the Faction books, or Wargames Vault.  They did say right back at the launch of M3E that the Faction packs would be a limited product.  It's been well over a year since then.  And they've been in print longer than the Wave 1 Arsenal packs from M2E.

Pretty much the above. 

Oh we could print, but then it takes longer and longer to recoup funds, and eventually, you end up collecting dust, taking up space, and eventually, losing money because it doesn't sell a full print run. As its available in many other ways, a couple for free, its simply better business to put the funds elsewhere. 

• Agree 3

On 8/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, TheMechE said:

So I've noticed the faction packs have been sold out for awhile now (maybe a month +?). What's going on? Are they selling up stock before the next errata or is it covid stuff?

There are still plenty of stores around the globe that have stock, just need to dive around internet for a while ;)

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, SpenceWilder said:

Sooooo, a couple years too late to this discussion, I just found and bought 2 M3e Faction Packs only to discover that most of the "new" cards are out of date. I like the app, but it's fumbling with a phone, not playing a tabletop game (#sonotgenz). I'm a little sad. It's a killer app tho. Still sad.

The Gaining Grounds packs are a cheap way to catch up on physical cards (at least compared to the print on demand service).

Not sure how easy GG1 will be to find, but GG2 shouldn't be that hard.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeddyBear said:

I've already tried, but trying again costs nothing: I ask wyrd, could you please give us a "printable-friendly" version of the character cards? Like the versions used in the beta tests (no images or other, only with writing.)?

I guess it could be an idea that many players would really appreciate! :)

Like the ones here?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wicc6rs8kg46bt7/AADCGZEbHvyB6F13D92dM-lZa/Malifaux Third Edition?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1