McMourning - is one Kentauroi + one little gasser enough?

I think you want two Kentauroi, they are to good not to. Personally, I also feel like two Kentauroi are worth more than the sum of their parts.

Regarding Little Gasers... Someone experienced with Experimental might find a place for them, but I hardly see any room for them, even more so for multiple models.

My perspective here is one of "I don't play the crew, only against it". 

• Thanks 1

I love the Kentauroi models, but have never had much luck with them on the table. They die quite easy I find. Maybe I'm playing them wrong. Others claim to get good use of them though. I'm not sure you'd want two all the time. It might be more of a sometimes thing. If you can, proxy them for a bit and see how they go first.

Little gassers are OK, but mainly to give your crew poison. I've found that they fly under the radar a lot and the other crew goes after more important things first. So sometimes they can survive long enough to do some scheming too. For what they do, I can't see ever taking two myself (shame, as another great model).

• Thanks 1

I've only played one game with Mc Mourning so far and I had one of each.
The Kentauroi did sooo much work, kept him alive via blood poisoning if he got too low. 
The little gasser put poison on my models mostly and tried to scheme otherwise.

So to the question of the topic:
I find it hard to find room in a Experimental Crew because Sebastian, Raftkin, Kentauroi, Rogue Necromancy, Nurses ... all not cheap. I don't think Flesh Constructs are that important so I don't see me hiring any. Also Sebastian can try to make Canine Remains here and there, don't see me hiring them either.
The hardest thing for me was figuring out if I want Guild Autopsies or little Gassers and how much of them. So yeah, I don't have any real answers, just more questions 😄

• Haha 1

Kentauroi are absolutely disgusting and put out so much damage. 1 is definitely worth it, two is sometimes, maybe. I like to throw GST on one, or if I run two, I'll put it on both. It adds some additional protection for them. They will die fast if focused down, so try to use them to hunt scheme runners and stay at the edge of the fight if ya can. Plus they are super fast in a average/slow crew. 

Suppose I should mention gassers. Again 2 is a maybe sometimes, but having a 4ss flying, significant model is useful. As for pumping out poison, it's pretty decent at giving your crew poison at start of turn 1, give out some and maybe scoot em up the board for late turn 2 when stuff is bunched up. Fly in and give things poison 2 and its unresisted. It's not crazy strong, but they can make the difference in the right game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morgan Vening said:

It didn't click with me until you pointed it out, that Blood Poisoning and Perverse Metabolism synergize.

That's awesome. Gonna have to file that away for future (ab)use.

It's critical to the crew from my understanding!

Also note the chihuahua has it, so I assume one of the primary uses of the Chihuahua after turn one is to blood poison your own models (so McMourning and Sebby can use it on enemies).

• Agree 1

On 8/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, Morgan Vening said:

It didn't click with me until you pointed it out, that Blood Poisoning and Perverse Metabolism synergize.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:56 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

It's critical to the crew from my understanding!

It is, but my Kentauroi are always blasted away before I can try and use it on them. They can easily get too far away from support and Df4 and a 50MM base with an impressive model means they are fire magnets. At least in my games. I'll have to try them again, but they tend to be priority target #1 around here and I can't get them to last more than a turn or two. 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, Daysleeper said:

I don't think Flesh Constructs are that important so I don't see me hiring any.

Interesting. I see flesh constructs as one of the most efficient models in the crew. Decent damage output, relatively tanky, great mobility. I'll actually forgo Rafkin usually (really squishy and doesn't add a lot after poison stacking turn 1). I'm not even that fond of Sebastian. The mobility provided by 2 Kentauroi and 1-2 flesh constructs can make it difficult for opponents to react to. The Kentauroi ferry McMourning around hunt scheme runners/help the doc if he needs it. The flesh constructs complete schemes and are also able to kill scheme runners. Opponents don't expect that much mobility from Ressers generally (I mean, outside of Molly having members of her crew across the entire table turn 1).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

Interesting. I see flesh constructs as one of the most efficient models in the crew. Decent damage output, relatively tanky, great mobility. I'll actually forgo Rafkin usually (really squishy and doesn't add a lot after poison stacking turn 1). I'm not even that fond of Sebastian. The mobility provided by 2 Kentauroi and 1-2 flesh constructs can make it difficult for opponents to react to. The Kentauroi ferry McMourning around hunt scheme runners/help the doc if he needs it. The flesh constructs complete schemes and are also able to kill scheme runners. Opponents don't expect that much mobility from Ressers generally (I mean, outside of Molly having members of her crew across the entire table turn 1).

Yeah, I love the Flesh Constructs. Reckless alone makes them great. I don't think I'd ever take them out of Keyword (no easy way to stack Poison), but with McMourning I like 1-2 if I can squeeze them in. I also hope to summon at least 1 per game. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

Interessting points, maybe I'll try them in one of my next games 🙂

• Like 1

Kentauroi: I've found 1 generally useful in most setups. I take 2 when I want to go for a heavy offensive crew. Like others have said they're pretty fragile and will need some help if it wants to survive the game.

Little Gasser: 1 is good for cheap poison to spread around, plus Flight gives it some unique mobility options for the keyword. 2 is generally excessive, but I have had some success in doing so. Had a game where after McMourning, Sebastian, and Rafkin engaged Parker Barrows and most of his scary models in a blob, my 2 Little Gassers jumped in and farted all over everyone there and it paid off big time. In reality this was a corner case and isn't representative of the majority of my games so I can't recommend having them buddy up most of the time.

Flesh Construct: These are backbone models for me. Good damage, good durability, and good mobility makes them flexible for almost any situation.

• Like 1

Kinda sad that Little Gassers aren't summonable in the crew. Would have been a good option, even if kinda difficult (either resources needed, be a trigger off an action, or a high target number), to differentiate Rafkin with Sebastian.

Having all three SoulStoners Named Characters each summon a different Minion would have been cool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Kinda sad that Little Gassers aren't summonable in the crew. Would have been a good option, even if kinda difficult (either resources needed, be a trigger off an action, or a high target number), to differentiate Rafkin with Sebastian.

Having all three SoulStoners each summon a different Minion would have been cool.

Rafkin can't soulstone, but it'd still be cool!

• Thanks 1