English Ivan (Umbra/DUA Keywords) Discussion

HomelessOne

2 minutes ago, DuBlanck said:

How viable is it into a scheme/interact-focused pool?

I know popular wisdom is that you want a couple of Min3 frontline brawlers to keep the opponent honest, but the most I've ever enjoyed Malifaux is early M2E playing Colette with no beater at all - the classic "win by 1VP with no survivors".

Corvis looks like he has an acceptable top-end output, though not really the reliable brawler needed for the above. Eva looks good for tangling up a crew with the pseudo-Slow of long engagement range, but nothingDUA  outputs damage very well, or really soaks damage (particularly if there are cards to pay off Flexible Morality).

There seems to be a decent amount of jumping to Shadows, or Bridging, and minor mobility stuff.

That is probably the sort of pool where it is going to work best, but what you are missing out on is the denial of those missions caused by the engagement from the Umbra models. (at least if you're using Ivan 1). 

That popular wisdom probably is less true in explorers than other factions as they do have the fewest min 3 beaters in the game. But the reason behind it is still true to an extent. If you don't have a way to prevent the opponent scoring, then its very hard to stop them getting 8 points, and no mater how good your scoring is, you can't win. The easiest way to prevent scoring is to kill models (or tie them up in combat and have the threat to kill them), but there are other ways, and if you can get your crew to use some of them, then you have a chance (a bit like M2E colette did, but I think there is a little more ability to score points without the opponent s crew in this current GG than most of M2E, so just avoiding the enemy is a less effective denial). 

Most of the movement tricks are tied to Umbra, and if you're avoiding hiring Umbra that just leaves Ivan and Mr Mordrake to benefit from them. 

In short, you can certainly get a crew, and its going to be able to function. Its probably got a restricted niche of effectiveness, since you are choosing to avoid half your options, but can still work.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DuBlanck said:

How viable is it into a scheme/interact-focused pool?

I know popular wisdom is that you want a couple of Min3 frontline brawlers to keep the opponent honest, but the most I've ever enjoyed Malifaux is early M2E playing Colette with no beater at all - the classic "win by 1VP with no survivors".

Corvis looks like he has an acceptable top-end output, though not really the reliable brawler needed for the above. Eva looks good for tangling up a crew with the pseudo-Slow of long engagement range, but nothingDUA  outputs damage very well, or really soaks damage (particularly if there are cards to pay off Flexible Morality).

There seems to be a decent amount of jumping to Shadows, or Bridging, and minor mobility stuff.

From my experience keeping Eva alive is a challenge, because she is the great lynchpin mobilitywise.

Don't expect to much from flexible morality, Enemy with stat 6 and x/x/6 dmg track focuses and she is most probably gone. I would advise taking flush with cash and using it consequently.

I feel biased about Corvis, cause he is very much in between roles, but i think his greatest asset is still the two triggers to move enemy models, which he can use price of progress for.

I think otherwise you can fairly well play it with either version of Ivan, although the new Title kind of seems to your thing then, along with the new enforcer. Think i would be willing to give it a go as well, although it seems like A challenge Mod for playing Ivan :)

• Thanks 1

I believe you would enjoy playing Ivan2 more if you like Colette.

He plays more independent and lean toward the moving and scheming game rather than brawling. You can minimize the number of Umbra models in the crew as long as you don't use the summoning Plan (you still want Mr. Mordrake who is half of Ivan's mobility).

Edited by Rufess
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1