RCT 8: Faction discussion - Ressers vs. Ressers!

For our Community thread this time, we're going to take a look at another faction matchup - Resurrectionists!  As always, this thread is intended for new and experienced players alike. Share your insights, share your questions, and let's all get better together!

Mirror matches are always very interesting, as you're initially starting on equal footing. It's all about knowing how to exploit the faction the best when it is Ressers vs. Ressers, so let's help each other figure out how to do it!

Some questions to get the discussion rolling, but feel free to add your own.

• Both players have declared Ressers - what are you thinking as you pick which master to declare?
  • What do you do about master X, Y, or Z?
  • Are there Resser masters that are particularly good against Ressers?
  • Are there some rough matchups we should be aware of?
  • Are there some good matchups we should try to capitalise on?

Some of this is going to be pool-specific, but let's try to pull out some general advice and some specific advice for specific matchups.

Bonus points: If you're playing Ressers vs. Ressers this week, please post here about it! Would be great to get some real world examples into the thread.

Bonus points 2: Feel free to message me with requests for the next community thread. At the moment I'm alternating between a faction post and a miscellaneous post every other week.

I might go with Molly in this case.
If the scenario requires a lot of mobility to go put scheme markers all over the place, she definitely has the mobility to do so.
If the scenario is more killy, you can take rabble risers and have a lot of focus on them, which will help against hard to wound a bit.

Mc Mourning might be a good pick too, considering he himself ignores hard to wound, and he & his crew will use poison a lot, which doesn't care about that, or incorporeal.

I would like to say student of sinew might be a decent pick with the card draw upon killing an undead model, or command corpse.
But with command corpse requiring a 6:crow, I'm not so sure.
The flay trigger on his melee action could be useful though.

I would definitely think of bringing Von Schtook if I thought the ennemy would bring him as well though, to use the students of steel against the transmortis' armor (and for the fun of having some weird encounter when each players tries to summon out of killing the ennemy models, trying to go for the one with the lecture upgrade :D).

• Like 1

Seamus and McMourning ignoring hard to wound is amazing, but it feels like all our masters except Reva are good for Ressers vs Ressers, but also you can adapt against any rough matchups.

Molly - extremely flexible. Loads of counter tech, including condition removal and irreducible damage. Hard to counter Molly with Ressers models (though have to be careful of the Seamus cannon).

McMourning - everyone can grab a nurse or two to combat him, but he isn't as reliant on poison as he seems. And ignoring hard to wound/armor is some serious upside.

Seamus - his hand cannon is super powerful and can end games, but important models can be protected by Toshiro in the right circumstances, making some plays awkward for Seamus.

Jack Daw and Yan Lo - haven't played too much of them, but they seem super scary in the right matchup.

Reva- very dependent on corpses, and our faction excels at removing corpses. Especially Molly.

Kirai - just an all round brutal master, but isn't particularly strong or weak against Ressers in any way I can think of.

Von Schtook - absolutely brutal, but we have so many pieces of tech to mitigate him a bit.

Our emissary negating healing and soulstones seems very relevant in some matchups as well.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Reva- very dependent on corpses, and our faction excels at removing corpses. Especially Molly.

Unsurprisingly I'm going to defend my girl here. I've played her into ressers a few times and her corpse candles are particularly great in these matchups. She generates them automatically and they can only be removed by friendly models. We remove a ton of corpses too in keyword - Shieldbearers for example with blasphemous ritual, Vinny or Draugrs with cremation. More burning is generally in our favor. Vincent's crossbow ignores hard to wound too. If all the corpses are removed, we still get our corpse candles which can be great. Any corpses that the resser opponent tries to generate for themselves (for example Emissary for Seamus or Gravediggers, etc.) we can basically have the next activation to use or dispose of. And any corpse they give us just gives Reva additional range. We can really shut down Cause for Celebration (italics), Flesh Construct engines, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Speedguyjp said:

Unsurprisingly I'm going to defend my girl here. I've played her into ressers a few times and her corpse candles are particularly great in these matchups. She generates them automatically and they can only be removed by friendly models. We remove a ton of corpses too in keyword - Shieldbearers for example with blasphemous ritual, Vinny or Draugrs with cremation. More burning is generally in our favor. Vincent's crossbow ignores hard to wound too. If all the corpses are removed, we still get our corpse candles which can be great. Any corpses that the resser opponent tries to generate for themselves (for example Emissary for Seamus or Gravediggers, etc.) we can basically have the next activation to use or dispose of. And any corpse they give us just gives Reva additional range. We can really shut down Cause for Celebration (italics), Flesh Construct engines, etc. 

True! But I also worry that Reva is a lot easier to prepare for in list-making (don't bring your own corpse-dependent strategies, and bring some corpse-eaters). Anna in particular seems very strong against the crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the topic is not master specific, looking at what is most common in Ressers, those three points would be my primary ones:

- corpse usage/hate

- summoning

- conditions

In regards to corpse usage, some things are already posted. Depending on your own and your opponent's crew, your picks will obviously shift.

Summoning can be mitigated by strong hand pressure (crew dependant) or handled by Anna/Vincent, which are OOK available for any master.

Conditions are a pretty general topic, as many crews utilize those. So, if you play against something like McMourning or Daw, who rely a lot on their conditions, I assume you do the same as against other factions. What I found interesting when I started Ressers, was the realisation that Ressers aren't more debuff heavy than other factions. Expect the two mentioned masters, you have to look at models who can remove conditions from enemy models, not just your own.

That's also why I think Schtook is a pretty good pick for mirror matches, as Transmortis covers all three points to an extend. He only needs one, maybe two, match-up specific tech models and is ready to go. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How to put pressure on Transmortis:

a) They are very trigger dependant, especially for dealing damage. Stunned is gold against anything other than Schtook himself. 

b) They use pushes for their mobility, therefore Staggered mitigates that. If you can deny placing, it's even better.

c) Transmortis has only light healing capabilities, usually they don't have enough SS to include any or at most one healer. So hit them hard, Armour 1 can do only so much and it's not even on all models.

d) Handling Transmortis summoning is easier than against dedicated summoner, good play is the best protection. No Vincent necessary, at most Anna because her place-hate also helps against flight/by your side. Deny them juicy kills and if you offer them, beware the point cost and summonable models.

e) Schtook has an allround crew, which means he has a lot of tools, but if you focus on one aspect, you're likely to overload his capabilities.

I suppose a good in-faction counter for Transmortis is Jack Daw. A lot of staggered and stunned. He doesn't rely on corpses and e.g. Hanged don't give any. As most Ressers, Transmortis is better in melee and that's where Daw wants his opponent. Just beware their blasts from Schtook and his Totem. To deal with the latter, I would include Dead Outlaws, they also help with removing scheme markers, they are likely to drop. Making blasting a hard choice for Schtook can be done with a lot of debuff conditions, since he only has 3 master actions per turn.

Recover Evidence and Puplic are killy strats, ideal for Daw. With Bone Piles and Dead Outlaws, Corrupted Leylines is also playable. I only shied away from playing Symbols with Daw.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Graf said:

c) Transmortis has only light healing capabilities, usually they don't have enough SS to include any or at most one healer. So hit them hard, Armour 1 can do only so much and it's not even on all models.

Agree with everything except of this :) I would say that Sloth is pretty common pick in Schtook's crew because of crazy good heal and making lot of models Fast

3 hours ago, Sagrit said:

Agree with everything except of this :) I would say that Sloth is pretty common pick in Schtook's crew because of crazy good heal and making lot of models Fast

That's fine, this can be a meta difference. Crossroads in general is a rare sight in my area. Personally I prefer Transmortis to be crew focused, especially since I usually play quite Undergraduate heavy. But  Sloth or a Bone Pile to mitigate this weakness are  legit additions.

• Like 1

I took:

• Molly + Machine
  • Dead Rider
  • Archie
  • Yin, the Penangalan
  • Philip and the Nanny
  • Crooligan
  • Ashigaru

I discovered quite roughly that Dead Rider's trigger can't reposition enemies that have the lodestone... But luckily Yin was MVP by pulling him off a leyline turn 1. That put him on the backfoot for the rest of the game. Hidden Martyrs (crooligan/Yin) was fantastic since I knew he wanted to kill my models, so that paid off well. P&N was impossible to lock down with deadly pursuit, which made his Catch and Release very difficult to score (Ashigaru went and stood by Molly, then Archie was going to take over guard duty).

Throughout the game, activation control with Molly was a critical factor, and was super helpful.

• Like 1